Soldier given 25 yrs

tedie

It is simply a tragedy when you here about one of our own being DONE THIS WAY. Michael Behenna is an American soldier convicted and sentenced to 25 years in the death of an Al Qaeda terrorist in self-defense, February 2009.
After reading the full story I was truly appalled. My heart stopped and I felt that if I did not do my part to show support and get his story out, then I was no different than the ones that convicted him. The terrible part about this is that, it was only after the trial that defense lawyers learned that the government's own forensic expert agreed with the soldier’s testimony that it was self-defense.

His story is at Vet2Vetspace.com. We have to take care of our own if we don’t look out for those that keep us safe why should they do the same for us.

Once your thoughts on this once you read the story?

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Oh, completely coincidental that the socalled terrorist was previously released by US Army Intelligence, illegally detained and interrogated by this man against orders during his release and then murdered under the pretext of self-defense (as has been found by the court). And of course completely coincidental that Mr Behenna "failed to properly report" that he killed this man.

And the funny thing? I recapped the above completely from a website that favours release of this man. And no, not whatever's linked there.

It doesn't matter whether its self-defense. If you're setting someone up to attack you while you're pointing a weapon at him, and then intentionally hush up the whole affair, it's only a matter of whether it's manslaughter in the heat of the moment or premediated murder. He got off easy with only 25.

tedie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh, completely coincidental that the socalled terrorist was previously released by US Army Intelligence, illegally detained and interrogated by this man against orders during his release and then murdered under the pretext of self-defense (as has been found by the court). And of course completely coincidental that Mr Behenna "failed to properly report" that he killed this man.

And the funny thing? I recapped the above completely from a website that favours release of this man. And no, not whatever's linked there.

It doesn't matter whether its self-defense. If you're setting someone up to attack you while you're pointing a weapon at him, and then intentionally hush up the whole affair, it's only a matter of whether it's manslaughter in the heat of the moment or premediated murder. He got off easy with only 25.

Wow....

I'm not sure if you went to vet2vetspace to read the story that is there but it is amazing how there are two sides to every story. based upon what you said it is totally different than what was placed on that military site. Have you read it? and What is your thoughts on how "they" presented the story.

There was definitely not anything about the stripping of clothing.

LancasterBomber

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro

I concur.

Where were Behenna's mates? You need your mates to give you a smack around the chops and to spot stress.

Sad story all round though. :(

LancasterBomber

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The above was recapped from the first site Google returns for me on a search for "Michael Behenna".
Chain of Command shouldn't have allowed Behenna anywhere near the suspect?

You can ask for professionalism from a soldier. However professionalism in your chain of command would dictate that Behenna need not be tasked with the suspect's release (given the context of loss of life under his immediate command)?

Nevertheless the ultimate responsibility rested with Behenna. If he deemed himself at risk (psychologically) he should have removed himself from the duty.