The Shape of Military Affairs 44 Years From Now...

HK_Thoughtful

I dont know whether a similar trend has been posted already concerning this topic, but my question is what will the military situation around the world be like in 44 years. Please take into account the current trend of military development around the world (and assuming that WWIII doesn't break out...).
Looking at the situation today with the rise of Chinese military power and the supposely rebirth of the Russian military, it looks as if the balance of power has begun to shift. Previously, since the fall of the Soviet Bloc, the United States has been the world's sole remaining superpower (some say hyperpower...) but now things dont look so certain. Furthermore, the contiuned development of the EU as a (keep in mind) potential military and the violiate state of affairs in the Middle East must not be excluded.
On this matter, my throughts are that the United States has a 50-50 chance of retaining its position of being the world premier military overall. On one hand, the US is fielding and will continue the development of advanced military hardware such as the F-22, F-35, DD(x), CVN-21, and FCS Programs. And on the other hand, the US is increasingly being sucked into a endless campaign in Iraq and etc, taking an excessive toll on the defense budget. This has resulted in speculation that some advanced programs will be canceled or otherwised curtailed...ex. the number of DD(x) being procured. Additionally, the other major powers of the world community seem to be catching up or even surpassing the US in terms of technology.
When responding to this trend please note while training and experience are perhaps the two must vital things in an effective military, for purposes of this trend they should be disregarded. Additionall, please no politics or country bashing. Thanks to all.

aaaditya

in future i believe that the wars will be shorter and much more intense with particular emphasis on destruction of valuable economic assets.

the millitary affairs will be more techno -oriented than what it is now,and will rely mostly on space and land based sensor integration and joint functionality.

rjmaz1

The war will be space orientated thats for sure. I think the US will always have a large advantage here.

China will be the next super power in 20 years time, mark my words.

However if war starts everyone would cut trade with them and they could not maintain war for long.

dioditto

rjmaz1 said:
The war will be space orientated thats for sure. I think the US will always have a large advantage here.

China will be the next super power in 20 years time, mark my words.

However if war starts everyone would cut trade with them and they could not maintain war for long.

I think in 20 years time, if war breaks out, I doubt anyone would cut trade with China. I have heard on media a lot lately that our goverment (Australia) said something to the effect that if there is a war between US and China, Australia does not want to choose side. This is an unthinkable comment 20 years ago, and extrapolate such comment to next 20 years, and you can see Australia would probably sided with China than with US. Australia currently traded more with China than with any other country and to break trade with them would be unthinkable in 20 years time.

Rich

There are a few unknowns in all this China prediction. First off it is being assumed that China's economic miracle will last, or at the least avoid a rough road. If that does actually happen it will hurt its Asian neighbors far more then others, tho it will hurt us all.

I agree with the assessment that economic policy will cause a restructuring of Political/Military policy. There will be no more "Grand Alliances" anymore. Instead there will be countries with citizens who need to work and eat whose leaders make decisions based on National self interest. Already were seeing a transoceanic NATO that really exists in name only. I agree that Asian friends will be pulled into China's sphere. Unless they do something stupid like start a war they cant win, "and I doubt they'll do that". Oh, the alliances will continue. At least in name, and as long as the stupid Yanks keep paying for the defense of their allies.

Military-wise America will be dominant for as long as were all above ground. However, we are still very much at risk of terrorism and were going to get hit again. There is a possibility of a mass casualty attack. I believe there is going to be a major regional war in the Middle East in the next 10 years. Israel will not allow Iran to go nuclear, but its not a given they can stop them. The UN and world community will allow Iran to develop nuclear weapons. As they would have allowed Saddam had he not been stupid. The United Nations will continue to be a glorified debating society.

In general the world is going to become a much more dangerous, unstable, and over-populated place. Its resources will be eaten up and its climate changed by man-made factors. Overall we were better off with the bloody Cold War.:teary