Go Back   DefenceTalk Forum - Military & Defense Forums > Global Defense & Military > Geo-strategic Issues

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Scottish Independence

This is a discussion on Scottish Independence within the Geo-strategic Issues forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Originally Posted by taskforce88 Polls are meaningless but can you show me a poll that shows SNP at over 50%? ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old March 21st, 2017   #136
Defense Aficionado
Major General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by taskforce88 View Post
Polls are meaningless but can you show me a poll that shows SNP at over 50%?
True depending on how the questions are asked. Also, as recent elections have shown, people may often reverse their choice once in the privacy of a voting booth. Until Scotland has a firm offer to join the EU, nothing should happen until then. The UK may also make an offer to stay. IMHO voting for independence and then joining the EU and having Brussels mandate your newly formed state kind of sucks the big one!
John Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017   #137
Super Moderator
Lieutenant General
No Avatar
Threads:
Looks like that one is on the back burner, the SNP ditched 21 seats and Nicola Sturgeon has admitted that the IndyRef2 push may have driven voters away from the party.

Hilariously, Alex Salmond, the former leader of the SNP lost his seat as well.

Whatever other upheaval we've to deal with in the coming years, Scottish independence is off the table for at least a couple of year, if not for the life of the current parliament.
StobieWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2017   #138
Defense Aficionado
Major General
Threads:
For the time being I agree. If the current government collapses in 1-2 years and Labour gets in, any major cuts to the RN will remove an important reason for Scotland to remain in the U.K. Then there is the Brexit negotiations. I can't see the EU wanting another really small member with a questionable economy.
John Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: