Russia deploy S-400 to North Korea border

Ibizan Hound

Banned Member
Press TV said:
Russia deploys S-400 missile system near North Korea
Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:59:19 GMT

Elements of an S-400 battalion
Amid ongoing tensions over North Korean missile activities, Russia has set up a third missile unit fitted with the S-400 defense system close to its eastern borders.

"We have deployed an S-400 battalion [in the Far East] already," Head of Russian General Staff, Nikolay Markov was quoted by Russia Today as saying on Wednesday.

"We are taking preventative measures to secure ourselves from misfired missiles and to make absolutely sure their debris does not fall on Russian territory," he explained.

Russia has already installed two similar systems in Moscow's vicinity for security purposes.
Russia is worried about whatever intelligence they have on North Korea. Deploying an S-400 against North Korea? North Korea hasn't ever test launched a missile over Russian territory. Not in the manner that North Korea launches missiles into space.
http://www.presstv.com/detail.aspx?id=104542&sectionid=351020602

Mirza

North Korea must give up these missiles. The only thing they will get out of them is a new war with millions of innocent human lives lost. Russia is doing a good thing setting up missile systems, because a regime like North Korea may be up to who knows what.

North Korea must give up these missiles. The only thing they will get out of them is a new war with millions of innocent human lives lost. Russia is doing a good thing setting up missile systems, because a regime like North Korea may be up to who knows what.
I don't buy this N Korean argument. Russian military is not known for worrying about "accidents" enough to deploy a system like that, which has only seen limited, strategic deployment prior to this point. More logical scenario, IMO, is that this is also a strategic placement to counter whatever more serious adversaries they envision in the region, whether it's the Japanese or American assets there, or the Chinese.

Duffy

This is to funny.

"Russia has set up a third missile unit fitted with the S-400 defense system close to its eastern borders." From what I remember the border between N Korea and Russia is like 50 miles. Is three needed or are they putting them on barges?:rolleyes:

We are taking preventative measures to secure ourselves from misfired missiles and to make absolutely sure their debris does not fall on Russian territory," he explained. I really don't think a serf ice to air missile system is going help in that task . If the Russians shoot down any thing and the fall out land with in there borders the blame will be laid at there feet.

The S-400 Triumf air defense system can reportedly hit targets within 400 km (248.5 miles) and has been hailed as the world's "most formidable" apparatus against aerial and missile attacks. Who hails it as the worlds most formidable apparatus? Also is the 40N6 missile even in operation.

I do hope N Korea does something stupid, Maybe we'll get to see if this system even works.:D

Sampanviking

Banned Member
Why does everybody assume that the system is being "aimed" at North Korea?

Has it not occurred to anyone that this system also gives North Korea a high degree of Security against event the most sophisticated Western Aircraft? Has nobody looked at the timing of the deployment and noticed the coincidence of South Korea conducting its own long range missile test, sorry rocket launch?

Duffy

Why does everybody assume that the system is being "aimed" at North Korea?

Has it not occurred to anyone that this system also gives North Korea a high degree of Security against event the most sophisticated Western Aircraft? Has nobody looked at the timing of the deployment and noticed the coincidence of South Korea conducting its own long range missile test, sorry rocket launch?
So what are you implying. Russia would fire SAMs from with in there borders agents aircraft attacking N Korea and risk going to war over it.
Russia is in no condition to go to war. Maybe there just protecting there borders in the event that some one strikes NK

Ozzy Blizzard

I do hope N Korea does something stupid, Maybe we'll get to see if this system even works.:D
I agree. I personally don't buy all the hype around the S-400, its basically an S-300 PMU evolution. I mean I'm sure it a decent piece of kit but by the claims the Russians had made you would think it used the force or something. I'd be interested to see how it went when no lives are at stake.

Duffy

I agree. I personally don't buy all the hype around the S-400, its basically an S-300 PMU evolution. I mean I'm sure it a decent piece of kit but by the claims the Russians had made you would think it used the force or something. I'd be interested to see how it went when no lives are at stake.
When every one started talking like this thing was the end all. I really started reading allot about it, it has an up graded radar, The radar is not more capable its more dependable(up grade). With out the 40N6 Missile its a very expensive S-300 PMU . The system is huge, has a large foot print that makes it very easy to target.:D

Tavarisch

I wonder what the real Russian Generals really think of this system...

The Kremlin has always been one of the best liars ever.

Ozzy Blizzard

When every one started talking like this thing was the end all. I really started reading allot about it, it has an up graded radar, The radar is not more capable its more dependable(up grade). With out the 40N6 Missile its a very expensive S-300 PMU . The system is huge, has a large foot print that makes it very easy to target.:D
And extremely noisy I would also expect. Not going to be hard to find.

Duffy

And extremely noisy I would also expect. Not going to be hard to find.

The words “search light’ come to mind.:) Plus the biggest selling point of this system is the range of the search radar so all you need is a fairly accurate Topo map for targeting data. Not all wars are fought in the desert.