Robotics- the future of modern warfare.

mickk

Currently there are 12,000 land based robots operating in Iraq and Afghanistan and 7000 airborne ones.

Today the Australian Govt launched a plan to build the next generation robotics. Combet unveils MAGIC military robot comp - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Already soldiers have returned to active combat duty with artificial limbs featuring robotics.

In 20 years time, countries like the US will replace foot patrols with robot patrols. A regiment of infantry will be replaced by the same. Its scary but true. One person from a remote location will be playing a computer game called war and its real.

The rules of war will have to be re written, the Geneva Convention is even more outdated now.

Sometimes these robots have software systems, like the AA gun that leveled instead of raised and killed 9 people before it ran out of ammo and the robotic 50 cal that decided to aim at the stand of potential buyers instead of the enemy.

I think that if a private company was to have a software glitch with these things that led to friendly fire casualties, then we will see civilians tried for military crimes. Its a nightmare of possibilities that have to be thought out

Make sure your first born becomes a lawyer.

onana

Admin. Text deleted. That entry was completely off topic. Please read the Forum Rules before posting again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vajt

Currently there are 12,000 land based robots operating in Iraq and Afghanistan and 7000 airborne ones.

Today the Australian Govt launched a plan to build the next generation robotics. Combet unveils MAGIC military robot comp - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Already soldiers have returned to active combat duty with artificial limbs featuring robotics.

In 20 years time, countries like the US will replace foot patrols with robot patrols. A regiment of infantry will be replaced by the same. Its scary but true. One person from a remote location will be playing a computer game called war and its real.

The rules of war will have to be re written, the Geneva Convention is even more outdated now.

Sometimes these robots have software systems, like the AA gun that leveled instead of raised and killed 9 people before it ran out of ammo and the robotic 50 cal that decided to aim at the stand of potential buyers instead of the enemy.

I think that if a private company was to have a software glitch with these things that led to friendly fire casualties, then we will see civilians tried for military crimes. Its a nightmare of possibilities that have to be thought out

Make sure your first born becomes a lawyer.
It's inevitable that this will happen. Advances in this area are happening so quickly that within 15-20 years, we will see drastic changes in how wars will be fought. I foresee the next phase of warfare will be sending special forces group together with robotics (ground and air units) as the first wave of attacks followed-up by mopping operations by smaller group of manned forces. UAVs and smaller robotic ground units will be sent to perform recon (with special forces), then UCAVs, unpiloted rotary/helicopter units with unmanned artillery and MRLS ground units will begin the attack. This will be followed by unmanned ground units taking territory. Folllowing this first wave will be regular ground forces to mop up and holding the territory taken.

The second phase further in the future will probably replace even the regular ground forces and will be completely robotic with improved AI and robots that mimic the all terrain capabilities of human walking.

With these advancements and the increasing public disapproval of casualties as well as the physical limitations of the human body, it is only a matter of time of when this change will happen instead of if it will happen.

-----JT-----

The Swordman

future

Interesting topic, I think that some considerations have to be outlined.
1) prostetics and cyber
There are a number of good news for all the people involved. New materials, better batteries and lower weights to carry. But we are still miles away to super cyberarms or cyberlegs. Even the development of exoskeletons is still pioneristic, field use in 20 years could be a good choice only if batteries development improves a lot.
2) UAV, UCAV robots in the sky
That's the most advanced sector, already in battle condition. Demonstrators jet fighter are on the run, the same for helicopters. Interesting developments in the very small UAVs, the size of bee is not so far away. The real decision to take now is about control, a jet fighter completely computer controlled is quite scary.
3) army robots
small tanks or similar vehicles are already on the ground, I think we're still to see a multilegged machine that really works (like Big Dog), too much problems of stability, battery life and weight limits. In 20 years or so I think that small tanks are a sure bet, same problem for the control decision.
4) navy robots
sector still under development, with great potential. Submarine unit, little in size but heavily armed, could be the next big thing in the next 20 years. Same questions for the control, of course.

The main problem for automatic use of bots is the software. Given the need for remote control and the need for communication between units is easy to see that an hacker attack could cause severe problems. Can you imagine such a scene? Your UAV, your small tanks, your little submarines that attack your side! :jump

turin

Actually you dont even need robots to have that issue. The continuing growth of private military companies and their service in Irak and elsewhere are creating exactly the same scenario of civilians pulling the trigger. Even the old cheat of giving them a uniform for the time being is not used that often anymore. But before I digress completely, I think that any unmanned weapons system would certainly contribute to that issue. Also the outsourcing of military capabilities wll reach a new level, I guess.
Its even easier to create a private army when you can park them in a garage as long as you dont need them - plug and fight, so to speak. That might create problematic opportunities for non-state actors.

As far as control is concerned, well the need for remote control/man in the loop instead of autonomous mission-execution is very much one of legal aspects as well. Who is to be held responsible if an autonomous robot kills someone. The company that build it, the software programmer who wrote its lines of code, the politician who approved procurement, etc. etc.? Of course they could attempt to try the robot itself... ;-)