Response to North Korea Missile launch

zoolander

In the media, there is a alot of warnings that the United States and allies will respond if North Korea tests new missile. I wanna know what kind of response are they talking about. I know no one besides top official really knows but in your opinion what do you think the reponse will be?

Sea Toby

I doubt whether the UN will agree to a strike against their nuclear power plant, but that should be considered. More than likely the UN will agree to more scantions, and possibly an embargo against North Korea. Getting China and Russia to agree will be difficult.

Now if the response was left in my hands, I'd invade North Korea and finish them off once and for all. Believe it or not, America still has troops in South Korea, fifty years after the war we should have won a long time ago under a UN mandate. But I'm sure some of the appeasers will say I'm too much of a John Wayne.

Snayke

long live usa said:
i hear that economically and military that south korea is actually 5 times stronger than north korea
South Korea CAN attain a much more advanced AND larger military obviously due to their wealth. Their troops are already good. If the North and South went at it, with NO outside interference, how could the North possibly hope to keep supplies going down to their troops? A week at max and their push would be reduced to nothing however Seoul would be pretty knocked up.

Realistically, the US, South Korea (they can be made to see war) and allies would be together in this fight. China and Russia wouldn't support the invasion, but I highly doubt they would support North Korea either. Give China enough of an incentive and they'll probably aid in the rebuilding or maybe set it up to look like they're securing the country from turmoil.

Sea Toby: The US presence in South Korea is insignificant. South Korea have a good 500,000 active soldiers ready to repel any invasion attempt. Although America's 10-15,000 or so is large, it's not a significant portion of South Korean defense as you can notice. :p

The US can play a big role however in obviously funding not just in money, but in equipment, vehicles, etc and using their USN assets in the Pacific to help the South Koreans defend and attack. If there are USAF assets close by, they could be relocated to a base in South Korea if need be.

Basically North Korea's 1 million man army means nothing when morale would be crushed in the first days.

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
Reactions...

Well CNN quoted the Washington Times as quoting a senior pentagon official as saying the US as activating its Missile Defence Shield, now the US face a issue here if Korea tries for a longer range test say mid Pacific do they try and shoot it down, if the take it out its a massive PR boost the Missile defence budget would go through roof as would public support, if it misses well it would be disastrous.

In terms of timing North Korea could be just Sabre rattling as Valiant Shield 06is being held at the moment which is supposedly the greatest concentration of Carriers in West Pac since Vietnam, in terms of military response Valiant Shield provides the US with essentially its necessary Strike force 3 CBG's Marine Units, B2 flights and other USAF assets good to go. I think if North Korea launches the US should just go for broke Nth Korea has since 1992 has continued to break all promises made contiue devlpoment and is the greatest risk to Global security, Iran is trouble plus 5 years Nth Korea is now, time to stop screwing around and do the job if they put off there weapons will just be greater in range and numbers.

Last edited:

Big-E

Banned Member
robsta83 said:
Well CNN quoted the Washington Times as quoting a senior pentagon official as saying the US as activating its Missile Defence Shield, now the US face a issue here if Korea tries for a longer range test say mid Pacific do they try and shoot it down, if the take it out its a massive PR boost the Missile defence budget would go through roof as would public support, if it misses well it would be disastrous.
I think the USAF should have her 747 circling S. Korea and when they finally launch, shoot it down. US will have deniability and can attribute the crash to a problem with the booster.:lol3

Last edited:

Sea Toby

Yes, I realize South Korea could do the job itself. I only mentioned US troops being in South Korea is that many of the peacenikers in America are complaining our troops are still in Afghanistan and Iraq. The appeasers want us to disengage now. Hey, we still have troops in the former Yugoslavia, Germany, Japan, and rightly so in South Korea.

Frankly, I'm tired of nations thumbing their noses at the United Nations. The UN's credibility is at stake. The UN has enough problems dealing with civil wars and their war lords. The UN shouldn't take crap from any nation.

Izzy1

Banned Member
Geopolitically speaking, there may actually be a need here for a very strong US response against any North Korean missile test.

Such action would not only demonstrate US resolve in Pyongyang, but also demonstrate to Tehran what can happen if it does not curtail its alledged WMD program.

Snayke

Hell, I think the US have like 40,000-75,000 troops still in Germany.

Around either of those numbers. I'm not quite sure.

Izzy1 - Agreed totally. There needs to be SOME form of consequence for North Korea instead of the finger pointing that has been happening so far.

Big-E

Banned Member
This talk of invasion and show of force is a bit overzealous IMO. Kim knows that we are in no position for any kind of land action against N. Korea. I think the simplest and most effective response is the one stated, you test fire... we laser it down... Star Wars for real!

Snayke

The US is not alone to respond. South Korea has plenty of military assets themselves. A few donations from neighbours, Australia maybe, and USN and USAF assets to help secure the skies and seas.

Big-E

Banned Member
Snayke said:
The US is not alone to respond. South Korea has plenty of military assets themselves. A few donations from neighbours, Australia maybe, and USN and USAF assets to help secure the skies and seas.
S. Koreas army while more advanced is no where near the size of the North. With the terrain giving major advantage to the defenders N. Korea's army would turn an invasion into hell. The biggest unknown is if the PRC would side with them yet again. If they did it would be game over and hello communist S. Korea.:eek:

Cootamundra

Big-E said:
This talk of invasion and show of force is a bit overzealous IMO. Kim knows that we are in no position for any kind of land action against N. Korea. I think the simplest and most effective response is the one stated, you test fire... we laser it down... Star Wars for real!
I agree 100%. A mallunction :D would not bode well as far as credibility goes and it would certainly draw more attention and additional pressure back onto the Nth Koreans. The Chinese really don't need this kind of thing. They want Nth Korea to get with the program and start watering down some of their stalinist retoric. Peace in that area is important for the fastest growing economy in the world and my view is that the Chinese leadership are starting to get quite fed up with Kim and is folk. Also a real test of the 747 laser would n't be half bad from a mil planner point of view nor would the use of one of the Burkes with their upgraded ABM shots.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Striking at NK just because they test a missile is IMHO totally oversized.
Just remember that the North has hundreds of artillery tubes in position to hit Seoul within minutes of the outbreak of hostilities.
And I really doubt that the US are able to wipe out a significant number of these artillery units.
If I were a South Korean I would be really angry if the US starts an attack at NK, because of one missile, which could easily lead to the death of thousands of SK civilians and a war that would bring havoc all over the Korean Peninsula.

Snayke

Only if South Korea approved such a move would they allow the US to move against the Norks. In the past, their parliament has stated they would DEFEND North Korea if the US struck without their approval. Although their opinion might've changed by now but it was only a few years ago I read it.

buckykat5463

Missle Launch By No. Korea

Do you think No. Korea will launch their missle? I do. Also I think the United States will attempt to shoot this missle down if No. Korea launches their missle. darkmatter5463

Wild Weasel

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
darkmatter5463@ said:
Do you think No. Korea will launch their missle? I do. Also I think the United States will attempt to shoot this missle down if No. Korea launches their missle. darkmatter5463
Due to the inherant difficulty, danger, and damage involved in removing fuel from the missile once it has been filled, I'd say the likelyhood for a launch is greatly increased.
To stand down from a test launch will cost the North a great deal of money, and set back to their research program. Further, it would result in a great deal of domestic embarrasment for the government, who have already told the population to expect a launch. The only reason they have not yet done so, is likely due to bad weater at the launch site.

But then again, if the North does launch the missile, it is quite likely that the US would attempt to intercept it in a very public display of their missile defense system. If successful, this would greatly increase further funding and development of the ABM shield and subject the North to wide-spread international scorn and embarrassment.
If unsuccessful, the damage to the missile defence program would probably be disasterous, and would likely mean the end of the program in the near future.

If I'm not mistaken, the land-based ABM component has had a great deal of failures to date. But the sea-based Standard-missile component has shown remarkable success lately, in both boost-phase, and mid-course interceptions.
Basically, the US will have multiple attempts to shoot the NK missile down, and could very well do so with the assets it already has available in the Sea of Japan, and the Pacific Ocean. The land based system may not even get a chance, if one of the Aegis cruisers already on the scene gets the first shot.

But I am unsure as to whether or not the ships in question are equipped with the RIM-161 BMD missile. According to Global Security, the Navy began equipping it's Aegis ships with the weapon system in late 2004.
So it is possible that the ships in the area are currently loaded with the production-model BMD missile. If they are normally based in the Sea of Japan, I'd say it's quite likely that they have forseen this threat and have had some time to prepare for it.

Last edited:

Cootamundra

Wild Weasel said:
But I am unsure as to whether or not the ships in question are equipped with the RIM-161 BMD missile. According to Global Security, the Navy began equipping it's Aegis ships with the weapon system in late 2004.
So it is possible that the ships in the area are currently loaded with the production-model BMD missile. If they are normally based in the Sea of Japan, I'd say it's quite likely that they have forseen this threat and have had some time to prepare for it.
It is my understanding although I cannot provide proff that the 2 Aegis ships now deployed do have ABM capability. I concur with your other comments and I expect that the Chinese will be using back channels to try and disuade the launch. Interesting times.

Big-E

Banned Member
Cootamundra said:
It is my understanding although I cannot provide proff that the 2 Aegis ships now deployed do have ABM capability. I concur with your other comments and I expect that the Chinese will be using back channels to try and disuade the launch. Interesting times.
I imagine that they do since the Pentagon has said our ABM forces are on full alert and operational status in the region. I'm really getting the feeling they will try to shoot this thing down if they launch it... (ringing hands):grab

Snayke

Does anyone know an estimate of when the launch is expected? Like, within a month or something?

This could develop into something quite interesting. Good articles for my legal studies.