Rangers

carman1877

The rangers were created and trained for Operation Overlord on June 6, 1944. They were supposed to be elite but I dont understand how they were different from the everyday soldier could someone tell me?

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The rangers were created and trained for Operation Overlord on June 6, 1944. They were supposed to be elite but I dont understand how they were different from the everyday soldier could someone tell me?
The Rangers were actually formed and trained in 1941 or 1942, several participated in the Dieppe raid. Training was provided by (in part or in full) and modeled after the British Commando's. It was tough training, conducted in Scotland. Rangers fought in North Africa, Sicily, Italy and of course participated in Operation Overlord. Rangers also fought in the Pacific theater.

The Rangers proudly trace their heritage back to Rogers Rangers of the 1700's.

JohnFRoss

The Rangers were actually formed and trained in 1941 or 1942, several participated in the Dieppe raid. Training was provided by (in part or in full) and modeled after the British Commando's. It was tough training, conducted in Scotland. Rangers fought in North Africa, Sicily, Italy and of course participated in Operation Overlord. Rangers also fought in the Pacific theater.

The Rangers proudly trace their heritage back to Rogers Rangers of the 1700's.
You might be interested in reading a new book I wrote about Robert Rogers and the Rangers called War on the Run: The Epic Story about Robert Rogers and the Conquest of America's First Frontier (Random House 2009). It has some pretty gritty stuff on how Rogers put together his rangers in the woods of New England.

Check out my website at War on the Run for more information.

John F. Ross

Gremlin29

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
You might be interested in reading a new book I wrote about Robert Rogers and the Rangers called War on the Run: The Epic Story about Robert Rogers and the Conquest of America's First Frontier (Random House 2009). It has some pretty gritty stuff on how Rogers put together his rangers in the woods of New England.

Check out my website at War on the Run for more information.

John F. Ross
That book looks like it's right up my alley John, I'm going to pickup a copy. :)