A question regarding some translation of drill commands.

cloggie

Hey all,

I didn't know where I should place this question so my apologies if it isn't in the right subforum.

I have a question regarding some translation work and I can't find the right command for the action. So I hope you can help me with it.

If a column moves forward and the commander wants it to go left, I thought it was "By the left flank, MARCH" (US) or "Left WHEEL" (UK) (correct me if i'm wrong).

But if you want the entire column to turn 180 degrees to the left, and not just the individuals to face the other direction, then it's quite simple in my country. (NL: roughly translated: "two times head of column left MARCH).
Then the frontleft soldier almost marks time while turning, and the rest of the front line moves round by 180 degrees, when the frontright soldier completes the turn the soldiers continue to march as a column.

But I just can't figure it out what the correct (preferably the UK) command is.

Could anybody help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Raven22

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hey all,

I didn't know where I should place this question so my apologies if it isn't in the right subforum.

I have a question regarding some translation work and I can't find the right command for the action. So I hope you can help me with it.

If a column moves forward and the commander wants it to go left, I thought it was "By the left flank, MARCH" (US) or "Left WHEEL" (UK) (correct me if i'm wrong).

But if you want the entire column to turn 180 degrees to the left, and not just the individuals to face the other direction, then it's quite simple in my country. (NL: roughly translated: "two times head of column left MARCH).
Then the frontleft soldier almost marks time while turning, and the rest of the front line moves round by 180 degrees, when the frontright soldier completes the turn the soldiers continue to march as a column.

But I just can't figure it out what the correct (preferably the UK) command is.

Could anybody help me out?

Thanks in advance.
If I understand you correctly, in British drill there is no special command. The commander would simply say 'left WHEEL' and the soldiers would continue to wheel around until they faced back the way they came, and the commander would say 'forward' to indicate to stop the wheel.

RegR

Yes it is quite hard to picture what you are reffering to, I think here we use 'by the left, left wheel' to bring the files around a point in turn, 'left turn' for everyone to turn on the spot simultaneously and 'left form' for the ranks to pivot on the marker with everyone marking time until last man is in place then 'forward' or 'halt'.