Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Geo-strategic Issues
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

ExPB14_JAS-39_Gripen.jpg

ExPB14_Mirage2000.jpg

6_EXPB14_20140729_088_3_RSAF_F16s.jpg

5_EXPB14_20140729_143_3_RSAF_F-15SGs.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

A question regarding some translation of drill commands.

This is a discussion on A question regarding some translation of drill commands. within the Geo-strategic Issues forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Hey all, I didn't know where I should place this question so my apologies if it isn't in the right ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old January 2nd, 2013   #1
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
A question regarding some translation of drill commands.

Hey all,

I didn't know where I should place this question so my apologies if it isn't in the right subforum.

I have a question regarding some translation work and I can't find the right command for the action. So I hope you can help me with it.

If a column moves forward and the commander wants it to go left, I thought it was "By the left flank, MARCH" (US) or "Left WHEEL" (UK) (correct me if i'm wrong).

But if you want the entire column to turn 180 degrees to the left, and not just the individuals to face the other direction, then it's quite simple in my country. (NL: roughly translated: "two times head of column left MARCH).
Then the frontleft soldier almost marks time while turning, and the rest of the front line moves round by 180 degrees, when the frontright soldier completes the turn the soldiers continue to march as a column.

But I just can't figure it out what the correct (preferably the UK) command is.

Could anybody help me out?

Thanks in advance.
cloggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RAAF F-35 Question RAAFsuperhornet Air Force & Aviation 3 October 3rd, 2009 10:49 AM
Lebanese military on full alert during Israel's "Turning Point 3" drill Ibizan Hound Geo-strategic Issues 2 May 31st, 2009 07:57 PM
"The Art of War" and traditional Chinese military thought - a discussion Firn Military Strategy and Tactics 5 May 1st, 2009 03:44 AM
Australia - Why Abrams was chosen and how it will be used gf0012-aust Army & Security Forces 11 August 13th, 2004 08:56 PM

Old January 3rd, 2013   #2
Defense Professional / Analyst
Lieutenant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloggie View Post
Hey all,

I didn't know where I should place this question so my apologies if it isn't in the right subforum.

I have a question regarding some translation work and I can't find the right command for the action. So I hope you can help me with it.

If a column moves forward and the commander wants it to go left, I thought it was "By the left flank, MARCH" (US) or "Left WHEEL" (UK) (correct me if i'm wrong).

But if you want the entire column to turn 180 degrees to the left, and not just the individuals to face the other direction, then it's quite simple in my country. (NL: roughly translated: "two times head of column left MARCH).
Then the frontleft soldier almost marks time while turning, and the rest of the front line moves round by 180 degrees, when the frontright soldier completes the turn the soldiers continue to march as a column.

But I just can't figure it out what the correct (preferably the UK) command is.

Could anybody help me out?

Thanks in advance.
If I understand you correctly, in British drill there is no special command. The commander would simply say 'left WHEEL' and the soldiers would continue to wheel around until they faced back the way they came, and the commander would say 'forward' to indicate to stop the wheel.
Raven22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2013   #3
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
Yes it is quite hard to picture what you are reffering to, I think here we use 'by the left, left wheel' to bring the files around a point in turn, 'left turn' for everyone to turn on the spot simultaneously and 'left form' for the ranks to pivot on the marker with everyone marking time until last man is in place then 'forward' or 'halt'.
RegR is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: