Question about maps and identification

markfromeurope

I see satellite pictures of facilities, bases etc., with nice red squares around each object describing what it is. I was wondering what level of education or experience a person needs to be able to know from a top down satellite photo exactly what the shapes of buildings and objects are, seems quite difficult?

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I see satellite pictures of facilities, bases etc., with nice red squares around each object describing what it is. I was wondering what level of education or experience a person needs to be able to know from a top down satellite photo exactly what the shapes of buildings and objects are, seems quite difficult?
For an expert reasonably high, because there is a lot of cartographic knowledge, knowledge of satellites - their orbits and motions, GIS skills probably, photo interpretation skills etc. Hence post graduate level most likely with good maths skills and knowledge of physics. I majored in geography and acquired some of those skills, plus was introduced to others. Is your query just from curiosity or were you interested in entering the field?

markfromeurope

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For an expert reasonably high, because there is a lot of cartographic knowledge, knowledge of satellites - their orbits and motions, GIS skills probably, photo interpretation skills etc. Hence post graduate level most likely with good maths skills and knowledge of physics. I majored in geography and acquired some of those skills, plus was introduced to others. Is your query just from curiosity or were you interested in entering the field?
The question was out of curiosity, following the Russian uncovering of Turkey-ISIS trade, where they included such pictures as evidence. However, when I think about it, if this is a field in the military, and not a side-job, I would definitely go for it as I would consider myself a strategic person.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The question was out of curiosity, following the Russian uncovering of Turkey-ISIS trade, where they included such pictures as evidence. However, when I think about it, if this is a field in the military, and not a side-job, I would definitely go for it as I would consider myself a strategic person.
Depending upon the country and the resources it could be both in full time in civilian agencies and within the military. It is generally part of the intelligence community.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
you actually need a course to understand that thing
Yes, it is quite complicated because there are many different things that have to be taken into account in order to determine what you are looking at. For example, a colour image is only one small tool when many bands of the infrared spectrum can be used or ultraviolet etc. Then there are radar returns, lidar and other tools. You have to learn what they are, how they work, how and when they can be used, the type of computer programs to use with them etc., how to analyse and interpret the data and so on. So it is usually either a honours degree course or a post graduate degree / diploma course depending upon the institute and country.