Potential of international arbitration to change Timor Sea Treaty

Stezza

With the recent news about East Timor threatening to go to the Hauge regarding the alleged Australian spying during negotiations for the Timor Sean Treaty/Certain Maritime Arrangements in the Timor Sea (CMATS) treaty, what is the potential outcome of such a move? What would Australia's options/strategy be if the current treaty is deemed invalid? Is this just political noise suppported by self-serving lawyers, or an additional bargaining chip that ET can use to its advantage?

Stezza

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just wanted to update this with some information I have gathered from my reading in the last few days.

CMATS provides that if no development plan is agreed to within six years from when the treaty entered into force, then either country can give notice to terminate the treaty. This date has passed as of 23rd Feb 2013, so either country could now potentially terminate the treaty. ET's main disagreement with Australia so far has been the location of the processing plant for the Greater Sunrise field. With ET arguing it should be located on Timorese soil with Australia and the field developers favouring a floating plant.

The Timorese may be playing to attempt to secure concessions regarding this processing plant, or they may have a greater goal of trying to establish a favourable agreement on permanent boarders.

Can anyone provide input regarding common international maritime boarders using either equidistant or continental shelf boundaries? Does the agreement with Indonesia set a precedent in the region? Or is this unrelated.

Thanks!