Possible Venezuela and Colombia Conflict

Fear the USA

So Hugo Chavez is informing his army to get ready for combat over Colombia signing a military agreement with the US (US will rent 10 military bases). I have a couple questions.

1.Can some one please give me a full rundown of the Colombian military? I cant find much info on them. I know that they have 100+ m113's, But I really couldnt find any other info.

2. Although I know little about the Colombian military I know its not very strong.

3. Although the Venezuelan military is nothing to bragg about I think they would succeed in defeating the Colombian military.

4. In the event of the Colombianmilitary losing would the US help?

5 Would any countries take Colombia's side? How about Venezuela's?

Any other info would be great

Thankyou

Vivendi

So Hugo Chavez is informing his army to get ready for combat over Colombia signing a military agreement with the US (US will rent 10 military bases). I have a couple questions.

1.Can some one please give me a full rundown of the Colombian military? I cant find much info on them. I know that they have 100+ m113's, But I really couldnt find any other info.

2. Although I know little about the Colombian military I know its not very strong.

3. Although the Venezuelan military is nothing to bragg about I think they would succeed in defeating the Colombian military.

Thankyou
Unless Chavez has completely lost it he will not attack Colombia. The US cannot allow a country in their backyard be invaded because they are planning some military bases in there, and the US would have to step in on Colombias side relatively quickly.

Therefore the relative strength between Colombia and Venezuela is irrelevant.

I don't see anybody else crazy enough to actively support Venezuela in such a war. Just like Georgia last year, it would be utter madness.

V

citizen578

Chavez is a nutter, but he's not stupid. Like most wannabe dictators, he keeps things in-house. Invading or attacking another sovereign nation is a sure way to end your regime (all the world's dictators learned that in 1982)... and that wouldn't fit well with his self-given Bolivarian heroine image.
:rolleyes:

Fear the USA

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Chavez is a nutter, but he's not stupid. Like most wannabe dictators, he keeps things in-house. Invading or attacking another sovereign nation is a sure way to end your regime (all the world's dictators learned that in 1982)... and that wouldn't fit well with his self-given Bolivarian heroine image.
:rolleyes:
Thanks for the answers. But I still want to know more about the Colombian military. Can someone give me a rundown?

indiana46767

Thanks for the answers. But I still want to know more about the Colombian military. Can someone give me a rundown?
Just let me tell you this, apples to apples, the venezuelan AF would smash them in one day dominating any aerial defenses. Venezuela has SU-27 advanced fighters that they bought from the russians like 2 years ago, and Submarines. IF there was a ground war i think that Colombia would have the advantage because of the US military training their special forces.
Colombia as i know still has to show Air superiority, As far as Colombias Navy that is a different story they have subs and are in the process of purchasing more modern OPV's.

But trust me, as crazy as Chavez is, he is not crazy enough to start a war with a country such as columbia because its like an unspoken truth that any action against colombia would be one to the US, kind of like if someone attacked israel the US would also intervene.
Hope this helps.

Neutral Zone

Just more macho posturing from Chavez, just like with Kim Jung-Il he will make blood curdling threats but he will not fire the first shot because he will be doomed if he does. He may have bought lots of shiny new toys from Russia but Venezuela is no North Korea. They may have qualitatively superior weapons to the Colombians but the Colombian Army has been involved in COIN operations for many years and, it's troops will no doubt be more battle hardened, if Venezuela invades the Colombians will no doubt have no doubt have prepared for a fighting withdrawal while awaiting American intervention which would happen. Venezuela is a bitterly divided country and the Americans would gladly take the pretense of an unprovoked invasion of another sovereign nation as justification for toppling Chavez. That is why I doubt that this will amount to anything more than Chavez's usual rantings.

nitro

Thankyou
Having spent some time in country, Colombia this is a no brainer. The co. mil. has 45 years of combat experience. They are the best in Latin America, it isn't the equipment that wins the battle but the soldier. I wouldn't bet against the Colombians.

Grim901

Yes it is important to remember that columbian forces are armed and trained by the US. They may not have air superiority but they wouldn't be beaten on the ground. An SAS soldier in a documentary i was watching the other day called them the strongest military in South America because of it.

Peru would likely be the only South Americn country to instantly side with Columbia though, the rest seem up Chavez a bit.

Neutral Zone

Peru would likely be the only South Americn country to instantly side with Columbia though, the rest seem up Chavez a bit.
If it came to a shooting war then Ecuador and Bolivia would certainly side with Venezuela diplomatically, I cannot see what material assistance Bolivia could give but Ecuador could cause a nuisance by moving troops to the border and by allowing FARC to launch attacks into Colombia, this of course runs the risk of them being called a co-belligerent and inviting American retaliation. The rest of the continent would declare it's neutrality and would take great pains not to be dragged in .

Ryan UK

Do they really have no tanks?
They have no MBTs as far as I am aware, but then they have no need of them. The terrain is largely suited to infantry warfare and the use of Tanks would be useless in their fight against the FARC.

Any armoured assault on them would have to be dealth with either by help from the USA or a reliance on AT missile systems.