Plans for World War III?

Wall83

What was relly the plans for the Soviet union and Nato if world war 3 would had happend during the Cold war (1950-1990)?

Would the Russians have invaded Europe? What would the Nato response have been? What installations and cities would have been attacked with nuclear weapons?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
They're classified. The only declassified plan I know of is the 1968 Czechoslovakian plan.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
They're classified. The only declassified plan I know of is the 1968 Czechoslovakian plan.
Not entirely true. In the mid to late-1980's I came across a book which listed different Cold War scenarios and US/Western responses. The situations were all involving threats to the Middle East/Persian Gulf oil fields by the Soviet Union and WarPac nations. These situations ran the gamut from invading armies heading south from the Caucuses to the use of ground and airburst nuclear weapons upon the oil fields, terminals and pipelines themselves. IIRC the responses varied from rapid deployment of US airborne troops, to the use of tactical nuclear weapons upon Soviet troop formations... Pity I cannot remember the title.

-Cheers

nevidimka

Not entirely true. In the mid to late-1980's I came across a book which listed different Cold War scenarios and US/Western responses. The situations were all involving threats to the Middle East/Persian Gulf oil fields by the Soviet Union and WarPac nations. These situations ran the gamut from invading armies heading south from the Caucuses to the use of ground and airburst nuclear weapons upon the oil fields, terminals and pipelines themselves. IIRC the responses varied from rapid deployment of US airborne troops, to the use of tactical nuclear weapons upon Soviet troop formations... Pity I cannot remember the title.

-Cheers

That sounds very much like the Bible anti christ prophecy doesn't it? Where the invading army from north (Soviet Union) moves south into mid east (flashpoint). Sometimes, I wonder if US designed their war scenario based on bible prophecies.

Tavarisch

Red Storm Rising gives a pretty good projection. I'm not sure if Tom Clancy based it on possible engagements and War Games, but it sounds pretty good.
Well.... except for the part where the Spetsnaz Colonel gets run over by a car. And, the part where Soviet SAMs kill nearly 200 of their own aircraft. (Come on, Tom Clancy)

Wall83

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As I know it the much of the Soviet airforce and navy was build for stoping the US convoys crossing the Atlantic trying to support Europe during an attack from east.
Many russian cruiser was not buildt to be rearmed after thier first attack, meaning that they would attack US convoys and carrier groups with nuclear warheads and then run for it.
All Tu-22/Tu-22M was also produced for this.

Lostfleet

-Cheers
Please try harder to remember the name of the book :)

Or if anyone suggest other links or books to Cold War Scenarios it would be great to read

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

-Cheers
Are these the authors scenarios or actual declassified war plans?

Falstaff

After the breakdown of the GDR and the reunification I had the privilege to visit the former StaSi-headquarters at Berlin. In the basement they had a huge map room and according to the guide the StaSi personnel had failed to shred every folder, so some plans were actually found, mainly upon the use of nuclear weaponry to support a push into central Europe. What I remember best is that according to one of these plans 480 nukes were planned to level north germany alone. We were then shown the medals for the soldiers that would have sacrificed their lives during this push. These were already made and stocked in the cellar. No joke here. I was shocked deeply.

Wall83

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Acourding to this article one of the soviets scenarios was to launch 131 nuclear warheads to destroy Western Europe’s political and communications centres.
After this the Soviet forces from Czechoslovak People’s Army would have moved thru the deadly radioactive land and invade Nuremburg, Stuttgart and Munich, then bastions of West Germany. After nine days the forces would have reached France and Lyon.
The plan was active until 1986 and was srapped totaly by 1990.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1563692/Soviet-plan-for-WW3-nuclear-attack-unearthed.html

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Are these the authors scenarios or actual declassified war plans?
I doubt I will remember the title, I read the book once about two decades ago... As near as I remember, these were declassified war plans. Given the subject matter, I think it likely that they were developed with the Arab Oil Embargo in mind. The concern being a loss to the US/West of the Mideast oil supplies.

Religion, as suggested by another poster, did not play any role that I recall.

-Cheers

nevidimka

If the Soviets and Warpac has clearly drawn out their Europe invasion plan, why did they not go ahead with it, even with MAD a known theme of that time?

Was the Soviets waiting? Remember the Soviet were building a massive underground bunker in the Ural mountains? That project didn't finish even when the Soviet Union broke up and the cold war ended. Maybe they were waiting for that massive facility to finish and operate before they set that Invasion plan in motion?

Tavarisch

Well, if I remember correctly, 1975 to 89 wasn't a good time. They were bogged down in Afghanistan. Any time prior to that only suggests that they weren't probably ready to invade Europe. Despite having more than 4200 tanks and 8000 Armored vehicles in the East Germany of course. It wouldn't be good for the world in my opinion. Let's remember what a prolonged war does to the economy : recession. A crisis in the Cold War was not what both sides wanted.

In any case, I'm actually thankful that it didn't happen.

shadowcat1313

Red Storm Rising started as a Harpoon macrogame, and snowballed from there. I think it was set up for the tabletop version at the time.

locutus

Please try harder to remember the name of the book :)

Or if anyone suggest other links or books to Cold War Scenarios it would be great to read
The only book I can think of is Bright Star by Harold Coyle. It is a work of fiction - a book just like one written by Tom Clancy. The author is former U.S. Army so it focuses mainly on the land battle.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
If the Soviets and Warpac has clearly drawn out their Europe invasion plan, why did they not go ahead with it, even with MAD a known theme of that time?

Was the Soviets waiting? Remember the Soviet were building a massive underground bunker in the Ural mountains? That project didn't finish even when the Soviet Union broke up and the cold war ended. Maybe they were waiting for that massive facility to finish and operate before they set that Invasion plan in motion?
Just because someone has a plan doesn't mean one also has to execute it.
The leaders of the Sovjet Union were no idiots.
What good would it bring to go to war with NATO?
Hoping that the nuclear strikes remain solely tactical (If that can be said about nukes going of in a high populated country like Germany) is really only hope.
Any escalation would have lead to the total destruction of both sides making such an attack a deadly gamble.

And do you know if they were sure that any of their plans would really work? (There were enough plans and not just a handfull depending on what kind of preparation, force composition and WMD use the Kremlin wanted)
They knew what total war meant. WWII was destructive enough even without the use of NBC-weapons. One doesn't start WWIII just because a plan for it just sounds good and funny.