Payloads over Platforms

ASSAIL

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I have just read Admiral Jonathon Greenert USN paper in the July issue of the USNI Proceedings magazine Payloads over Platforms: Charting a New Course | U.S. Naval Institute

As an older member of this forum I have struggled to keep up with the rapid change in naval technology since the 1970's and to correlate those changes to the types of platforms in use today.

This article helped to switch on a light and make sense of these developments.

It is succinct and very well written and once again helps highlight the exellence of the calibre of the most very senior USN officers. The size and scope of the USN gives them the experience of command that is not always available to lesser navies. It also provides space and distance away from politics that sometimes inhibits and obscures judgement in senior officers in smaller navies such as the RAN.

Many navies have or are developing multi mission concepts having arrived at these same conclusions.

For the naysayers of such platforms as the LCS, articles such as these must surely be a reason to at least reconsider their opposition.
Cheers

the road runner

A great paper ,of note to me from an Australian perspective was

Jonathon Greenert said:
It is time to consider shifting our focus from platforms that rely solely on stealth to also include concepts for operating farther from adversaries using standoff weapons and unmanned systems—or employing electronic-warfare payloads to confuse or jam threat sensors rather than trying to hide from them.
Could be why Australia has purchased F-18 Growlers and stand off weapons and is keen to get JSF.

Jonathon Greenert said:
The design of future platforms also must take into account up front the volume, electrical power, cooling, speed, and survivability needed to effectively incorporate new payloads throughout their service lives.
A reason why our Future frigates may be 8000 tonnes?So that we can add "future tech,"to the ship when needed.

Jonathon Greenert said:
P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft will be able to carry torpedoes, Harpoon missiles, bombs, and sonobuoys that can evolve over time to address changing threats or incorporate new technologies.
It seems this point is why we are looking at "bigger" MPA aircraft.To add capability when needed.All in all i learnt quite a bit from that article.From an Australian perspective it seems the ADF has/and is making the right decisions for our future
Thank you Assail