India considering to acquire 130 new Mirage-2000-5s

Van

FRIDAY, APRIL 11, 2003

Indian defence minister George Fernandes said, that a proposal of the IAF chief to acquire 130 multi-role fighters was being considered. Sources said that France, in particular, was pressing hard to sell its Mirage-2000-5 jets to India. The French defence minister, in fact, is visiting India soon to push deals like the almost-finalised "Scorpene" submarine deal.

"We are also developing the Light Combat Aircraft," Fernandes said. The time for procurement of AJTs is near... the defence ministry has cleared the proposal and sent it to the finance ministry," said Fernandes on Friday, after a function to inaugurate a polyclinic under the new national ex-servicemen contributory health scheme. The final decision on the AJTs - which the IAF has been desperately demanding for the last 20 years to help train rookie pilots to fly highly-demanding supersonic fighters like MiG-21s - will of course be taken by the Cabinet Committee on Security. Sources said that the British Aerospace-manufactured 'Hawk' AJTs, shortlisted several years ago, were still the frontrunners in the lucrative deal worth over one billion pounds. The cheaper Czech-American "L-159B" jet trainers have also emerged as contenders after evaluation by the IAF last year.

Finance Minister Jaswant Singh, in turn, said there would "no delay" on his ministry's part for the AJT proposal. "The armed forces will not suffer from the lack of funds," he said.

TOI

Bharat_R

I think he is talking about the Mirage 2000, HAHAHA...trainers, nah they are fighters and Pakistan originally wanted that, but it looks like they would go for the F-16... or F-22.

muaest

Hey bharat wake up.Every advance trainer is usually also a light attack fighter.Hawk is also a light attack fighter.If you need to ask for a link

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/types/uk/bae_systems/hawk/hawk1.htm

Look at its main role.
Main Role: Advanced Trainer and Light Attack Aircraft
Pakistani mushaq is also a light attack fighter...About F-16 pakistani piolets are best when are in F-16s.So they should try to get some.I am always in favour of this plane.If give a good MLU programe the 32 F-16 of pakistan can also take any other plane.A nice idea will be to search for some used ones perhpas from turkey or some other country.And to upgrade them with some good MLU programe.

F-22_Rapture

Bharat, I understand u r talking in favour of Pakistan even though im sure u dont like Pakistan. But F-22, urm I think ure a lil far off there mate.

Pakistan are favoured in purchasing the F-16s, even though they are the masters of this fighter and are know to be amongs the top three best fighter pilots in the world, F-22s, I dont think any nation except the US themselves would be sharing such work of art.

Oqaab

Dont worry guys, Pakistan will also be getting mirage 2000-5s. The problem is India is getting these with complete ToT.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
What's the use of Pakistan getting Mirage 2000-5s?? If India already has it with ToT then surely they know the ins and outs and all the weaknesses of the plane. :cop Its really stupid of the PAF to be going after the overpriced Mirage. Best bet is to have one or two elite squadrons of top of the line fighters like Rafales or Eurofighter Typhoons while the bulk should be formed by the likes of the S-7 (Super 7/FC-1) while F-16s and mirages in support roles.
Its time Pakistan forgets about the Mirage!!

Oqaab

shamayel said:
What's the use of Pakistan getting Mirage 2000-5s?? If India already has it with ToT then surely they know the ins and outs and all the weaknesses of the plane. :cop Its really stupid of the PAF to be going after the overpriced Mirage. Best bet is to have one or two elite squadrons of top of the line fighters like Rafales or Eurofighter Typhoons while the bulk should be formed by the likes of the S-7 (Super 7/FC-1) while F-16s and mirages in support roles.
Its time Pakistan forgets about the Mirage!!
Do u know how much Rafales and Typhoons cost?????

Rafale = 50 million $
Typhoon = 80 million $

PAF opted for Mirage 2000-5 which costs 45 million $ but I think Gripen is a better option for PAF. Its unit cost is 35 million $.

Red aRRow

Forum Bouncer
Oqaab dude since the apparent price difference between the Mirage and the Rafale is "only" 5 million then I think Rafale is a much better option. I am only suggesting an elite squadron of 10 to 20 planes while the bulk should be formed by Super 7s and others.

Oqaab

shamayel,

Rafale is a good option but France will not sell it to Pakistan in less then 60 million $. Donno how much Pakistan will be giving for Mirage 2000-5, maybe more then 50 million.
:?

Right now we need a low cost aircraft which can kick Su-30MKIs. 10 or 20 Rafales surely cannot counter 190 mighty MKIs. We seriously need 120-150 hi-tech BVR capable fighters like gripen.