Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Geo-strategic Issues
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

2A3_Kondensator.jpg

LMV-6.jpg

LMV-4.jpg

LMV-3.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

North Korean Military.

This is a discussion on North Korean Military. within the Geo-strategic Issues forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Back to NK, I hope this is the right tread for the article: N. Korea has quietly built long-range missile ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old September 10th, 2008   #61
Banned Member
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
Back to NK, I hope this is the right tread for the article:
N. Korea has quietly built long-range missile base
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080910/...korea_missiles

US: North Korea conducted missile engine test
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080916/...C.jDHVq4p2wPIE

They certainly aren't putting all eggs in one basket!

Last edited by Firehorse; September 16th, 2008 at 08:14 PM. Reason: add article link
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013   #62
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
So, I'm going to resurrect this thread. This is for serious discussion of the North Korea military, this is not a North vs South debate, nor is this a place for politics.

The North Korean military, being highly isolated, and highly self-reliant operates 1) a large quantity of very old Soviet gear and 2) some very interesting reworkings of Soviet and Chinese designs and 3) some very bizarre and highly interesting original creations. So there are interesting and relevant things to talk about. Just not politics.

To start off the thread some pics of North Korean twin-barreled AA guns have surfaced. The guns appear to be clones of the Soviet S-60, but of a towed-AA variety, rather then self-propelled. They may be a copy of the ZSU-57-2, which was a Soviet towed 57mm AA gun.

bmpd -

EDIT: Some more interesting materials...

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/205386.html

If you scroll down to picture number 5, you see something that looks a lot like a ZSU-23-4 Shilka. But if you look closely you can tell that it's a twin-barrled (as opposed to a quad-barreled) AA gun. Probably a domestic development on the ZSU-23-2. Or maybe they ran into complications with the quad-barreled design.

Also the missiles in pic number 4 are the S-200VE. The trucks towing them look positively ancient.

Finally towards the bottom is a shot of a BTR-40 from the side. These maybe some of the last BTR-40s still in service, in the world.

Here's a close up of the 170mm self-prop guns, looking externally similar to the Soviet 203mm 2S7 Pion. I understand similar design philosophies, but I wonder what the reason for a domestic alternative was. After all there's hardly a need to reinvent the bicycle. If they wanted a standard heavy arty piece, they could've gone with WarPac standard 152mm, if they wanted something longer range, the 2S7 would have been a good choice. Instead they went with a strange domestic alternative, that clearly was influenced by the 2S7, but is of a strange 170mm caliber.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/229659.html
The 2S7 for comparison: http://www.enemyforces.net/artillery/pion.htm
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013   #63
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
According to the Finnish aviation magazine 'Siivet' (issue 02/2011) there are reports that MiG-29S modifications have been spotted in North Korea. An upgrade from the A model for sure but still of course not up to the level of latest western aircraft.

The MiG-29S has upgraded flight control systems, weapons systems, as well as new radar that can track and engage multiple targets, an ECM system and can use the R-77 'fire and forget' missile and deliver unguided bombs.
Netsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013   #64
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
It is possible. North Korea received some MiG-29As from the USSR, and has bought weapons from Russia since then in small quantities. For example they purchased BTR-80s, Mi-17 helos, and other gear. It's entirely possible that they quietly acquired upgrade kits, and possibly performed the modernization themselves. It's not like the MiG-29S is a very advanced plane by today's standards.

Here's a pic of a North Korean MiG-29, variant unspecified.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/156434.html

Also, here's a pic of some very intimidating looking....

Tractors! With rockets. No joke. Take a look.

http://bmpd.livejournal.com/70168.html
Old February 12th, 2013   #65
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
Here's a pic of a North Korean MiG-29, variant unspecified.
That's a MiG-29A in your link. I actually found some pictures of North Korean MiG-29S models browsing the Russian -speaking internet a little bit, but this forum won't let me include links before I have more than 10 posts (won't even let me quote your link).

But anyway, they do exist.

EDIT: In wikipedia on North Korean airforce there actually is one pic, after aircraft inventory section.
Old February 12th, 2013   #66
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Interesting info. Do you know how they got them?

North Korea didn't seem to have any difficulty buying other military equipment in Russia, and in the early 2000s Kim Jong Il even visited a tank factory (iirc it was OTM) in Russia. I wonder why they haven't gone for an additional Fulcrum buy. Plenty of used airframes are available, and new builds aren't that expensive either.
Old February 13th, 2013   #68
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
It didn't stop them from buying some MiG-21s from Kazakhstan earlier. I forget if it predates 2006. But at the same time it shouldn't be that hard for them to back date the contract (like they did for Sudan).
Old February 18th, 2013   #69
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
It didn't stop them from buying some MiG-21s from Kazakhstan earlier. I forget if it predates 2006. But at the same time it shouldn't be that hard for them to back date the contract (like they did for Sudan).
Apologies for noob kweschun, but is the Mig-29 the best that NK can do for an air superiority fighter? If so, how many do they have? Wondering because NK TO&E is hard to come by, and from what teh google can tell me, it ain't much of an air force.

Thanx!
Doom Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013   #70
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Pig View Post
Apologies for noob kweschun, but is the Mig-29 the best that NK can do for an air superiority fighter? If so, how many do they have? Wondering because NK TO&E is hard to come by, and from what teh google can tell me, it ain't much of an air force.

Thanx!
Yes, and not many. Their airforce consists of mostly 2nd and 3rd gen MiGs. The most modern stuff they have are a bunch of MiG-29As and Su-25s.
Old February 25th, 2013   #71
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Yes, and not many. Their airforce consists of mostly 2nd and 3rd gen MiGs. The most modern stuff they have are a bunch of MiG-29As and Su-25s.
Assuming that the North Koreans aren't total idjits (yes yes), then they must know that they'll retain air superiority over Pyongyang for all of ... oh ... 15 minutes against a blizzard of F-16's and USAF-trained fighter jockies.

And I'm fairly confident that a local measure of historical respect will remind them that 1) a prop-driven Corsair whacked one of their premier Mig-15's, and that 2) it took four more Mig-15's to bring that same Corsair down (pilot bailed and was quickly rescued).

Any NK experts out there: Do they seriously expect to do better this time around?

AFAIK, Teh Prez tried at least twice last year to do some face-saving talks with NK. Why the intransigence and bellicosity? After all these decades and after being offered some face-saving olive branches?
Doom Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013   #72
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
I think they know very well they have no chance in air battle. My opinion is that they would just try to use artillery and scud missiles to create as much damage in the South as they could to make the human cost as big as possible, until inevitably loosing the battle. I do not think the North Korean military has a very high moral to fight. The role of the airforce would be pretty much the same as that of Saddams in the Iraq campaigns.

Feanor: They do have Fulcrum-C as well, as discussed ; - )
Old February 26th, 2013   #73
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsk View Post
Feanor: They do have Fulcrum-C as well, as discussed ; - )
Аh, sorry, yes. Some MiG-29S as well as MiG-29A.
Old February 26th, 2013   #74
Brigadier General
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
I think they know very well they have no chance in air battle.
The whole idea is to make it too prohibitive fo anyone contemplating regime change in North Korea and that is why they have spent tonnes of cash developing nukes. Despite all their rhetoric and propaganda the North Korean leadership is under no illusions that they can actually fight America and outh Korea, and actually win. The whole idea is to ensure the continued survival of the North Korean regime/government.

Quote:
I do not think the North Korean military has a very high moral to fight.
On the contrary, I think the rank and file of the North Korean Army remain very highly motivated. To the average North Korean soldier, the Americans and their 'puppets' the South Koreans [along with the Japanese], are hell bent on threatening and eventually destroying peaceful North Korea, and it was the 'evil', warmongering, 'imperialists' and 'decadent' America that started the Korean War.....
STURM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013   #75
Defense Professional / Analyst
Captain
Threads:
Destroying the North Korean air force, wouldn't take long, they would be paralised in hours, destroying the North artillary, is a different proposition, and South Korea Seoul is within range.
old faithful is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: