North Korean founder's 100th Birthday party crashed.

Eeshaan

BBC News - North Korea rocket launch fails

Seems like the Founder's 100-th anniversary celebration didn't go as planned. An embarrasment for the current regime. The whole thing was a political move anyways.

"Initial indications are that the first stage of the missile fell into the sea 165km (105 miles) west of Seoul, South Korea," the North American Aerospace Defense Command (Norad) said in a statement.

The remaining stages were assessed to have failed and no debris fell on land. At no time were the missile or the resultant debris a threat."

Japan reported similar details.

"At approximately 7:40 a.m. we confirmed that a certain flying object was launched from North Korea and fell after flying for just over a minute," Japanese Defence Minister Naoki Tanaka said.
The rocket didn't make it too far, while Japan & South Korea had threatened to shoot it down anyway.

This is a provocative gesture by NK, but IMHO they're just sabre rattleing/muscle flexing as usual.

P.S. Sorry about the sarcastic/1-liner comment as the title. Couldn't help myself there. :D

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
real shame that....

EPIC FAIL!!!:lol2:finger2:nutkick:finger:haha:eek:nfloorl::dunce

I sometimes wonder whether something didn't sneak up on the thing it its ascent phase and give it a little love tap?

P.S. - Mods, nice choice of emoticons on this board...:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Eeshaan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
real shame that....

EPIC FAIL!!!:lol2:finger2:nutkick:finger:haha:eek:nfloorl::dunce

I sometimes wonder whether something didn't sneak up on the thing it its ascent phase and give it a little love tap?

P.S. - Mods, nice choice of emoticons on this board...:D
Well I'm quite sure that had the rocket made it a little further, Japan or South Korea would have definitely shot it down.

Regardless of wether it was a success or failure, it doesn't exactly help North Korea in the diplomatic department lol.

Marc 1

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
'Spose not. Actually, I feel sorry for the technicians etc. There will be quite a few extra bodies in the gulags after this loss of face.

swerve

Super Moderator
Maybe not. Do they have enough rocket engineers to waste them?

Well I'm quite sure that had the rocket made it a little further, Japan or South Korea would have definitely shot it down.
No, it was heading in the wrong direction. It was launched from the west coast, southwards. It wasn't going to pass over South Korea or Japan at any point.

Dodger67

It's not possible from USA to shot down with a laser this rocket ?
ABM laser systems are still very much experimental, I'd be very suprised if it would be used in such a 'non test' situation where all variables are not known or controlled as in an experimental setting. There's also no need to use a high risk experimental system when conventional abm systems with a proven track record (such as Patriot and Standard) are available in regular operational service.

PCShogun

O-Well,

perhaps the NEW technicians will be able to rectify the malfunction in time for the next test launch. In the meantime, 200 less mouths to feed.:soldier

Eeshaan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
O-Well,

perhaps the NEW technicians will be able to rectify the malfunction in time for the next test launch. In the meantime, 200 less mouths to feed.:soldier
North Korea simply doesn't have the scientific and technical expertise to be able to afford disposing off it's techies after a failure.

Their lives ( and brains ) are too valuable to the regime.