Non Soviet Warsaw Pact Countries Orders of Battle.

BuSOF

Greetings and respects to all the forum members! A question is bothering me for quite somem time and sadly I am not able to find out myself the details I am looking for.

So I would really appreciate it if you could offer me some help. A nice conversation about the topic would be even better.

Some weeks ago I've stumbled upon the romanian forum about WWII and more specifically upon its post-WWII section. There was a thread about the romanian army during the cold war, stating that its major responsibility was to repell a combined bulgarian-hungarian aggression on its territory, which is obviously way away from reality, concidering the general deployment posture of our army. But when I tried to find some information about the hungarian one to my astonishment I found only the one from orbat.com. And having in mind what friends of mine, former officers, told me that there is almost no correct information about our armed forces I would take the info on the Hungarian People's Armed Forces as viable data.

So what I am looking for is the orders of battle down to separate battalions and separate companies of the eastern european countries of the Warsaw Pact. I would be very happy if the hungarian forum members shed some light on the topic, but info about the other countries would also be verry nice.

Best Regards!

Chrisious

Not sure if anyone’s battle orders would have been any different from that of today. Except that with the alliances and pacts of the cold war, any conflict would have been quickly ramped up towards full nuclear warfare.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Actually most WarPac countries had much larger militaries then today. I'll look around, and let you know if I find anything useful.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Iirc they were creating a WarPac Orbat to match the NATO Orbat for 1989 over on Tanknet.

BuSOF

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks a lot, Feanor! kato I have my reasons to raise the question here.
Gladly I speak German, as I studied there, so I understand 100% of that remarkable site about the Nationale Volksarmee:

DDR-LUFTWAFFE.de - Strukturen, Geschichte(n) & Bilder der LSK/LV

Sadly that's about it. There is some clarification on the WorldWar2.ro Forum -> Romanian Army During the Cold War about the romanian army.

But there is almost no information about the polish, czechoslovak, hungarian and bulgarian armed forces. The widely popular list on orbat.com is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too incorrect to a degree that there is actually no correct information about for example the Bulgarian People's Army.

I' ve looked the net for information in english, german, russian, french, found none.