National Guard and ANG

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
Could someone please clear up for me the usage of the US Army National Guard and ANG, reading recent reports thats certain states are unhappy tih the use of the Gaurd units. Can a state refuse release of the national guard units for federal service? Whats the funding levels from State and Federal? For example say the majorit of states Guard was in Iraq this would effectively hamper any diaster relief.

Big-E

Banned Member
robsta83 said:
Could someone please clear up for me the usage of the US Army National Guard and ANG, reading recent reports thats certain states are unhappy tih the use of the Gaurd units. Can a state refuse release of the national guard units for federal service? Whats the funding levels from State and Federal? For example say the majorit of states Guard was in Iraq this would effectively hamper any diaster relief.
ANG = Air National Guard

States are unhappy with the use of the guard b/c many get deployed to Iraq for a year when it was supposed to be 3-6 months. They are also unhappy b/c 6,000 have been called up to baby-sit the Mexican border but have no enforcement powers. As far as refusing a federal call of troops states cannot refuse it under federal mandate. The feds do not have control over all the guard units, only specialized units that augment the Army and Airforce. The national guard is alloted money from the federal defense budget, not state.

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cheers

well that was easy, thanks, I didn't know it was 100% Federally funded, or there was a distinction of Units,
Thanks