Military survival kit

NikolausPH

I am looking for any information on the "food part" of those kits, what soldiers will eat during a short period of time in a mission. I would like to know if possible the compostion, method of consumption, if there is a difference between the kits regarding the environment (climate, location, water/earth/air).
And of course if you could post the name of the existing kits or the company supplying them and the countries that are using them. And also the website of those company or talking about those products.

Any information is welcomed...

Lujan AusMUR

G'day mate,

Us anzacs since Vietnam era evolved onto the amazing "space food" of the time, vacumn dried foods wich was created by NZ... them cheeky felloes.

Since then, we have 6 varieties that are made by the NZ army.

Since latest conflicts, pakaged water bladders by the US are emerging more, created origionally for the piliots of the time.

survival kit foods are really on the point of survival, salts, gluecose lvls, dehidration, vitimins.... I dnt noe, actually you know exactly were id be, without Condy's crystals and Gluecose tabs. from the local chems but i have spare ration stuff for the rest.

on missions regardless how big we have our mci, emergency ration, then survival kit to get if the crap hits the fan...

Every nation is dif, so dif spec needs to every nat'

Apart from that, go to alot of disopsal camo crap stores in luck for a ration thats horded and hidden by armies everyware,

they all have contents and info on items, how to cook, and live in one, even using them as e&E kits.

LancerMc

An advantage American MRE's and survival kits have is that all the food is precooked. So if you don't have time to cook it, you can still eat it, though it doesn't taste very good in most cases(I am sure other countries do this as well).

Plus you'll probably always have some peanut butter with the kit.

LancerMc

Try eating the vegaterain meal cold, :drunk :puke

I always liked the hamburger with nacho cheese and barbaque sauce :D

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
In the Swedish Armed Forces you can find the "green bags", the "golden can" and the "ranger bags". Then there is also alot of other things...

I have only got the oppertunity to try a 15 year old golden can after being out in the cold, dark, swedish forrest for 25 hours - not to mention all the hard tests and walking me and my group had to endure during this time.... they called it "the soldier test". :rolleyes: :D

The "golden can"
Served cold or warm.
Weight: 300 grams
Ingredients: meat, rice/potatoes/pasta, onion, salt, pepper, spices.
Known to taste like s***. (but I really liked it after starving for 25 hours)

The "green bags"
There are three kinds of these plastic bags. Breakfast, lunch, dinner.
You have to get some boiled water and alot of time to be able to eat these.

The "ranger bags"
A supply of dried foods and a 250 gram chocolate bar. Two kinds of bags - 3 day or 10 day. The 3 day bag of course last for about 3 days but you can survive on it for up to 7 days and the 10 day bag lasts for about 10 days but there are examples of how you can live on a single bag for up to 30 days.
Boil some water and poor it in one of several bags - shake and you have a meal or you eat it as it comes in the bag.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Ok, we call our MREs EPA (Einmannpackung---> One-man-package).
There are three types of EPA. They include two meals and some small stuff. All of them can be eaten cold or warm.
And it tastes....interesting. :D
In the end it tastes better the longer you are in the cold forrest. ;)

EPA I:
- Beans and sausages 300g
- Italian noodles 300g
- Fruit yoghurt 150g

EPA II:
- Goulash and potatos 300g
- Cevapcici with rice and vegetables 300g
- fruit salads 150g

EPA III:
- Hamburger with tomato sauce 300g
- Vegetable pan with tofu 300g
- Semolina pudding with fruits 150g

Every EPA also includes:
- Crackers (Great for making a fire :cool: )
- Sausage
- Spread chease (Wonderfull together with the noodles)
- Jam
- Chocolate (Eat this and you don't have to shit into the woods for some days)
- chewing gum
- Tea
- Coffee
- Drink powder (awfull)
- Salt
- Sugar
- Water cleaning pills
- Some shit for the coffe (forgot the name)
- matches
- some paper

bd popeye

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I'm glad I was in the US Navy..Never hadda to eat out of a can..yuck...Hot meals on a aircraft carrier 24/7...:p:

Modern day MRE's are probally beter than the old K-rations or Sea-rations..Never had one...