Kiwi wanting to join RAN

stryker NZ

I am a 19 year old New Zealander who wants to join the navy but may be movining to Australia soon i was wondering if the RAN allowed other commonwealth citizens to join like the RNZN does. If there are any members who are in the Australian navy could you please reply any advice would be much appreciated.:D

A

Aussie Digger

stryker NZ said:
I am a 19 year old New Zealander who wants to join the navy but may be movining to Australia soon i was wondering if the RAN allowed other commonwealth citizens to join like the RNZN does. If there are any members who are in the Australian navy could you please reply any advice would be much appreciated.:D
You shouldn't have any problems joining, provided you meet the criteria. The RAN could certainly use you...

You may need to gain citizenship first, but otherwise you should be fine...

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
stryker NZ said:
you could fast track by joining RNZN and then seek an exchange to RAN when you migrate. you won't necessarily need to be an Oz citizen to do the bulk of the work. That would exclude comms work (eg "black curtain" work on subs etc....)

the CERR legislation means that Kiwis have rights of access to Australian Federal resources and vice versa.

buschy

you shouldnt have any problem getting in as the navy RAN will accept those residents who are elligible for citizenship on the basis that they they get their citizenship at the nearest opportunity, other than that i dont see any problems for you, good luck