JORN and Malaysias' lost airplane

nevidimka

I'm a Malaysian, and this issue has baffled and intrigued me greatly. 1 Thing that has kept me wondering is regarding the radar data. I know there has been alot of finger pointing towards malaysian air force radar not picking up the plane and intercepting it. We may be at fault, but isn't it strange that the path the plane took to fly meant that it MUST have registered in Thailand's, INdonesian and probably Myanmar Military radar, and all I have been seeing in the news are all Malaysian radar maps and detection.

Why isn't the rest of the countries come forward with what they saw instead of hiding their data's? I'm very sure the military radar of indonesia and thailand also picked up the flight, but they did not come out early to pool resources during the 1st week, to say yes we have 3 countries data confirming that the plane flew back across the country towards the indian ocean, sigh.

And Whoever is responsible for the air force doctrine, or on watch of the radar should be fired for being inept at what they were supposed to do. This is a major embarrassment to Malaysia when it comes to our air force's capabilities or its doctrine.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I'm a Malaysian, and this issue has baffled and intrigued me greatly. 1 Thing that has kept me wondering is regarding the radar data. I know there has been alot of finger pointing towards malaysian air force radar not picking up the plane and intercepting it. We may be at fault, but isn't it strange that the path the plane took to fly meant that it MUST have registered in Thailand's, INdonesian and probably Myanmar Military radar, and all I have been seeing in the news are all Malaysian radar maps and detection.

Why isn't the rest of the countries come forward with what they saw instead of hiding their data's? I'm very sure the military radar of indonesia and thailand also picked up the flight, but they did not come out early to pool resources during the 1st week, to say yes we have 3 countries data confirming that the plane flew back across the country towards the indian ocean, sigh.

And Whoever is responsible for the air force doctrine, or on watch of the radar should be fired for being inept at what they were supposed to do. This is a major embarrassment to Malaysia when it comes to our air force's capabilities or its doctrine.
there is still too much dribble being generated in the press re theories. its become a circus.

there is no way that the jet could have headed off to asia minor without getting picked up. the biggest outfit after diego garcia with meaningful sensor and c4isr are the indians in the andomans/nicobars - and they watch everything from the straits through way past myanmar into the next naval district which is trhen covered off by mainland based surveillance shops - and as for the notion that they headed inrto asia minor overland - well thats just abject nonsense imo as that whole region is wired up and everyone north of sri-lanka is trigger happy when it comes to unknowns in their air space.

i agree that the malay air defence mgt has been found to be a tad remiss, some people should be feeling nervous about holding on to their commands.

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Indonesian AF spokesman already released statement on last Saturday that the Indonesian AF Radars has not detected any unidentified airplane on Northern Sumatra (Aceh) airspace. There are 2 Indonesian AF radars in Aceh, 1 in Sabang Island (nothern tip of Sumatra facing mouth of Malaca strait), and in Lhoksumawe (western coast of Aceh facing Indian ocean).

Which if the plane did went to Indian Ocean after crossing Malaysian Peninsula, then either fly over Aceh (which should been detected by either 2 Radars), or went north of Sumatra Island (which also should been detected by Sabang radar or Indian Radars in Andaman/Nicobar).

So, either those 2 radars operators in Aceh overslept, or the radars in Aceh did not operating between midnight and dawn...;) I don't see the plane can cross Aceh undetected.

Malaysia Airlines Tak Terlacak Radar Indonesia | -dunia- | Tempo.co

Sorry the article in Indonesian.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
CNN has reported that Thailand has now sent some radar data which might help narrow the search.

Is it possible that some military radar data might give away too much info regarding a country's air defence capability?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
CNN has reported that Thailand has now sent some radar data which might help narrow the search.

Is it possible that some military radar data might give away too much info regarding a country's air defence capability?
Essentially yes, plus depending on the altititude of the aircraft and distance to the radar, the aircraft could have been under the radar horizon.

-Cheers

Blackshoe

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
So far, the most convincing and logical theory I've heard comes from a Canadian civil pilot.

Spoiler Alert! No aliens or terrorists seem to be involved, so the press will be disappointed.

Bonza

Super Moderator
Staff member
So far, the most convincing and logical theory I've heard comes from a Canadian civil pilot.

Spoiler Alert! No aliens or terrorists seem to be involved, so the press will be disappointed.
Just posted that in another thread, I found it a very plausible explanation too. Don't know why it took so long for the media to interview a genuine airline pilot about the incident, but then I don't follow every news source so that might be an unfair statement. In any case his explanation was very grounded and logical, makes a lot of sense.

colay

The Australian PM has just notified Parliament that satellite data has revealed 2 objects in the Southern Indian Ocean that may be debris from the missing jet. Assets are en route to verify the data and hopefully in the next couple of hours we receive positive confirmation.
Not much info on the satellite side of the story as expected but possibly from that joint surveillance facility operated withthe US?