Iran will receive the latest Russian weapons

Toblerone

Banned Member
I am not convinced that they will be able to sell S400 so easily and quickly. Many countries will put pressure to avoid that.

Also licensed su-30 production? Isn't that going a little too far? If I was Russia I would want them to depend on me for aircraft.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not convinced that they will be able to sell S400 so easily and quickly. Many countries will put pressure to avoid that.

Also licensed su-30 production? Isn't that going a little too far? If I was Russia I would want them to depend on me for aircraft.
All of this is speculation. Rumors are that the Iranians were looking at Yak-130s, Mi-17s, Su-30SM and T-90S for license production and technology transfer, Bastion-P and further air defense systems. I don't think the S-400 will be at the top of the list. Given that the Iranians have limited ability to pay, it will be interesting to see what they can get at all.

As for the Su-30SM, they recently showed an export version called the Su-30SME. This is an export version of the domestic version of the export version called Su-30MKI. Weird, but it's likely the plane Iran will be looking to get.

Mig-29M2

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Iran will focus on strengthening its air force after getting the Russian S-300 anti-aircraft missile defense systems and commissioning a similar system which is locally produced, the Bavar-373 . Thus, the upcoming negotiations with Russia will focus on the purchase of the Sukhoi jets. Currently though, Iran faces sanctions that prohibit buying offensive weapons.

Iran keen on negotiating the purchase of Russian Sukhoi jets despite sanctions | Echelon-Defense
Iran may be secretly receiving T-90MS tanks. Check out the black tank in the top set of photos. UVZ was fairly desperate for an export customer, though they have said that Vietnam ordered some.

Первые кадры иранÑкого танка Karrar и прочие разработки иѰнÑкого оборонпрома - Юрий ЛÑмин

kaz

Iran may be secretly receiving T-90MS tanks. Check out the black tank in the top set of photos.
The Karrar is indeed similar to the T-90MS but closer observation reveals a different tank. It's quite possibly based on the T-72B variants assembled in Iran several years prior. They may have received technical assistance from UVZ but to be frank, aside from the slat armour and RWS, every other add-on could simply be cosmetic at this point. If successful, the Karrar may put the feasibility of the long-running Zolfaghar tank project into question.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Karrar is indeed similar to the T-90MS but closer observation reveals a different tank. It's quite possibly based on the T-72B variants assembled in Iran several years prior. They may have received technical assistance from UVZ but to be frank, aside from the slat armour and RWS, every other add-on could simply be cosmetic at this point. If successful, the Karrar may put the feasibility of the long-running Zolfaghar tank project into question.
I suppose anything is possible but what details lead you to think it's a T-72B upgrade? Also, the T-90M program came from Proryv which was an OKR designed to produce a combat module that could be retrofitted to T-72s and other older MBTs. It's entirely possible that Iran has received a combat module and ERA side skirts, and fitted them on to a T-72B hull.

gazzzwp

Assuming that the reports are based in fact I wonder how the US will respond to all this given the anxiety in Saudi Arabia? Also given that the US is directly on the receiving end of Iran's assertiveness in the Strait of Hormuz.

I wonder if large shipments of modern arms will now go ahead to SA to maintain the balance?

On a philosophical note; will the super powers ever learn?

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
How larger do the arms shipments to SA have to get?

Their have been importing massive amounts of arms for years now.

kaz

I suppose anything is possible but what details lead you to think it's a T-72B upgrade? Also, the T-90M program came from Proryv which was an OKR designed to produce a combat module that could be retrofitted to T-72s and other older MBTs. It's entirely possible that Iran has received a combat module and ERA side skirts, and fitted them on to a T-72B hull.
I haven't discounted the possibility of this tank being a T-90MS or a Russian-made upgrade either.

The Karrar uses the roadwheels mounted on late-model T-72's and the RWS is in a entirely different position and structure as that on the T-90MS. There have been better images showing the uneven surface of the side skirt add-ons against sunlight, giving off a suspicion that they're thin rubber pads, not ERA.

The tank has different tracks, a new commander's hatch, and a peculiar mantlet/sleeve covering the base of the gun up to the fume extractor. All of these are useful for revealing the tank's origins given how little information the public has.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't discounted the possibility of this tank being a T-90MS or a Russian-made upgrade either.

The Karrar uses the roadwheels mounted on late-model T-72's and the RWS is in a entirely different position and structure as that on the T-90MS. There have been better images showing the uneven surface of the side skirt add-ons against sunlight, giving off a suspicion that they're thin rubber pads, not ERA.

The tank has different tracks, a new commander's hatch, and a peculiar mantlet/sleeve covering the base of the gun up to the fume extractor. All of these are useful for revealing the tank's origins given how little information the public has.
I see, thanks. Could the exterior similarity be designed to fool foreign observers into thinking Iran is developing a T-90MS lookalike, to cover for actual deliveries of said type?

tonnyc

I see, thanks. Could the exterior similarity be designed to fool foreign observers into thinking Iran is developing a T-90MS lookalike, to cover for actual deliveries of said type?
Doubtful. Occam's Razor says it is designed to fool domestic observers into thinking that Iran is developing a T-90MS clone to give the illusion that Iran is stronger than it actually is. Just like the development of Iranian stealth plane and Iranian jet fighters.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Doubtful. Occam's Razor says it is designed to fool domestic observers into thinking that Iran is developing a T-90MS clone to give the illusion that Iran is stronger than it actually is. Just like the development of Iranian stealth plane and Iranian jet fighters.
Possibly, but I wouldn't discount the possibility completely. Iran is allowed to acquire defensive weapons systems and one can argue that the T90 tank can be used as a defensive weapon.

tonnyc

Possibly, but I wouldn't discount the possibility completely. Iran is allowed to acquire defensive weapons systems and one can argue that the T90 tank can be used as a defensive weapon.
Any T-90 acquired under the agreement does not need to be hidden. On the contrary it is in both Russia's and Iran's best interest to publicly announce it. I am quite sure that Iran is indeed looking at T-90 and would very much like to buy it, but again, the simplest logical explanation is that the Karrar is not a T-90 but rather a modified T-72. The simplest logical explanation is also that it is not created to disguise a secret shipment, but rather to give the public the illusion that the Iranian government is strong.

I expect actual purchase of Russian weapon systems by the Iranian government to happen soon, possibly even this year. And then all this "cutting edge indigenous defense systems" will quietly disappear as Iran pursues actual capability rather than mere illusion of it. We may even see actual Iranian indigenous weapon system being developed within the decade, because Iranians are smart educated people, but it won't be things like the Karrar or the Saeqeh or anything like that.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any T-90 acquired under the agreement does not need to be hidden. On the contrary it is in both Russia's and Iran's best interest to publicly announce it. I am quite sure that Iran is indeed looking at T-90 and would very much like to buy it, but again, the simplest logical explanation is that the Karrar is not a T-90 but rather a modified T-72. The simplest logical explanation is also that it is not created to disguise a secret shipment, but rather to give the public the illusion that the Iranian government is strong.

I expect actual purchase of Russian weapon systems by the Iranian government to happen soon, possibly even this year. And then all this "cutting edge indigenous defense systems" will quietly disappear as Iran pursues actual capability rather than mere illusion of it. We may even see actual Iranian indigenous weapon system being developed within the decade, because Iranians are smart educated people, but it won't be things like the Karrar or the Saeqeh or anything like that.
After checking with some people, the exhaust position, and the rollers indicate a T-72B mod.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting interpretation. I'm not sure how well that would play out in reality though. Remember the sanctions are just an agreement between countries. Russia could say, as you have, that it's defensive, but if nobody buys it, how well would it fly? I mean of course they could ignore everyone and sell whatever, but they're already under sanctions, and this issue is far less important to Russia then Ukraine. I guess we will see how things go, and the size of the sale will probably matter, since Russia is in need of cash.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Interesting interpretation. I'm not sure how well that would play out in reality though. Remember the sanctions are just an agreement between countries. Russia could say, as you have, that it's defensive, but if nobody buys it, how well would it fly? I mean of course they could ignore everyone and sell whatever, but they're already under sanctions, and this issue is far less important to Russia then Ukraine. I guess we will see how things go, and the size of the sale will probably matter, since Russia is in need of cash.
It's not an argument that I personally would advance, however you cannot discount the possibility of it being advanced. If I was advancing it, I would suggest that the best anti tank weapon would be another tank. The Iranians could also claim that with three nations on their borders being wracked by armed conflict then it behoves Iran to have a strong armoured force to protect its borders.

Toblerone

Banned Member
The iranians need the T-90 ... and a LOT of them. I will be surprised if I don't start hearing about negotiations soon. And yes, all this weird indigenous crap will disappear. With the proliferation of ATGMs noone wants liabilities and steel coffins.

About the sanctions, I am not knowledgeable about how these things work but this isn't about bomber aircraft, missiles or anything high tech like that. It is just a conventional tank, not even the most modern that Russia has. We already see T-90 tanks in the syrian conflict in syrian hands, some middle eastern countries have Abrams, I don't see this as a big deal or a serious cause for sanctions against Russia.

It is just as conventional weaponry as it gets.

Also, I have promised myself I will not die until I see iranian T-90s rolling through Riyadh. :D