Iran, Russia sign $1 billion defence deal

siresoul

Iran, Russia sign $1 billion defence deal: reports
(Reuters)
2 December 2005

MOSCOW - Russia plans to sell more than $1 billion worth of tactical surface-to-air missiles and other defence hardware to Iran, media reported on Friday.

The Vedomosti business daily cited military sources as saying Iran would buy 29 TOR-M1 systems designed to bring down aircraft and guided missiles at low altitudes.

The paper, calling it the biggest sale of Russian defence hardware to Iran for about five years, said Moscow and Tehran had already signed the contract.

Interfax news agency separately quoted a source as saying the deal, which would also include modernising Iran’s air force and supplying some patrol boats, was worth more than $1 billion.
Source : http://www.khaleejtimes.com/Display.../middleeast_December56.xml&section=middleeast
What Weapons will be Iran Going to buy from Russia??

Dr Phobus

This is an opinion:

It will be SAM's, low and high altitude and Air search Radar's. They are more affordable and quicker to "set up" than a effective figther force for air defence. I am sure this will be a trend for them, espiecally since they are deveopling a nuclear capability.

if any one know any thing else :unknown

adsH

Dr Phobus said:
This is an opinion:

It will be SAM's, low and high altitude and Air search Radar's. They are more affordable and quicker to "set up" than a effective figther force for air defence. I am sure this will be a trend for them, espiecally since they are deveopling a nuclear capability.

if any one know any thing else :unknown

YOu cannot expect to maintain a credible defence without Fighting Units in Air.

Snayke

Dr Phobus - What do you mean "developing nuclear capability"? They already have nuclear capability.

Akula540

Dr Phobus - What do you mean "developing nuclear capability"? They already have nuclear capability.
You mean Iran have a nuclear capability? They most definately don't have nuclear capability although they may have some plans to develop such a capability like US and EU are suspecting. According to Britain they are also developing long-range missiles which is quite worrying. Idea of Iran kind fundamentalist state with long-range missiles and nuclear warheads makes me uneasy.

Dr Phobus

I agree with this statement totally. Iran does not have nuclear ability yet. They are on the path, but are severial years away, a lot dependents on how much technology and know-how the N. Korians and the Chinese are willing to share. I am sure the world will know when the Iranians are a nuclear power.

I think the entire billion dollar deal was for SAM systems.

To respond to some eariler comments; l do not argue that SAM's systems alone make a credible air defence, consider the 6 day war, the beckar valley, and gulf war "one" as examples. However, having a plentiful suppliy of effective SAM systems is a good and rapid way of protecting your own airspace. Verses, exspandng the number and qualitiy of one's airforce. No one will argue that the Iranian's should not do the later, rather the former "approach" as its benefits is the only point i am trying to make. Peronally, I am surprized that the Iranian's have not moved forward witgh more newer, high performance plans and in higher numbers.

:gun

aaaditya

Dr Phobus said:
I agree with this statement totally. Iran does not have nuclear ability yet. They are on the path, but are severial years away, a lot dependents on how much technology and know-how the N. Korians and the Chinese are willing to share. I am sure the world will know when the Iranians are a nuclear power.

I think the entire billion dollar deal was for SAM systems.

To respond to some eariler comments; l do not argue that SAM's systems alone make a credible air defence, consider the 6 day war, the beckar valley, and gulf war "one" as examples. However, having a plentiful suppliy of effective SAM systems is a good and rapid way of protecting your own airspace. Verses, exspandng the number and qualitiy of one's airforce. No one will argue that the Iranian's should not do the later, rather the former "approach" as its benefits is the only point i am trying to make. Peronally, I am surprized that the Iranian's have not moved forward witgh more newer, high performance plans and in higher numbers.

:gun
its a pretty big deal and includes besides the tor sams,the t90s main battle tanks and options for s-300 atbm.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
They gonna modernize their airforce & also buy land force equipment with just $1 Billion ! I mean the PAF F-16 package only costs more than $4Billion while the modernization package costs even more. Doesnt seem like Iran is realy going to buy much of fighters in $1 Billion deal. They desperately need to replace their F-14s, F-4s & F-5s.

Seeing the current political scenerio in Middle East (Between Iran & Israel), Iran has more threat from air than land & seening the size of their country & size of the airforce it would be tough job to defend their airspace.

aaaditya

SABRE said:
They gonna modernize their airforce & also buy land force equipment with just $1 Billion ! I mean the PAF F-16 package only costs more than $4Billion while the modernization package costs even more. Doesnt seem like Iran is realy going to buy much of fighters in $1 Billion deal. They desperately need to replace their F-14s, F-4s & F-5s.

Seeing the current political scenerio in Middle East (Between Iran & Israel), Iran has more threat from air than land & seening the size of their country & size of the airforce it would be tough job to defend their airspace.
actually russia is claiming that this defence deal is a bait for iran to give up its uranium enrichment programme or to accept russian proposal for uranium enrichment(the iranian uranium to be enriched in russia or for russia to provide uranium for iranian power requirements),the world community favours the russian proposal but iran is having its doubts.

Hussain

SABRE said:
They gonna modernize their airforce & also buy land force equipment with just $1 Billion ! I mean the PAF F-16 package only costs more than $4Billion while the modernization package costs even more. Doesn't seem like Iran is really going to buy much of fighters in $1 Billion deal. They desperately need to replace their F-14s, F-4s & F-5s.

Seeing the current political scenario in Middle East (Between Iran & Israel), Iran has more threat from air than land & seeing the size of their country & size of the airforce it would be tough job to defend their airspace.
I agree. I don't think 1 billion dollars will buy you much in arms today. It is quite obvious that the Iranians do not have really an offensive military force. The missiles Iran act as a deterrent and the rhetoric is merely rhetoric.

In order to modernise the Iranian airforce they will have to induct at least 250+ modern airplanes. These will be limited in choice to the SU27/SU30 and F10. reason being that the cannot get Western fighters and also the range of these planes may be appropriate for offensive action. The Fencer can also be a valuable piece of hardware for purchase.

I think the Iranians need to spend at least 10-15 billion dollars to modernise their military.

aaaditya

fencer seems to be a very outdated option,i believe a better option would be chinese jh-7,one advantage for iran in acquiring the jh-7 would be that it can also be used maritime bombing roles another option would be acquiring the mig29-35.i believe iran already operated some mig29's (maybe defected from iraq).

Hussain

SU27 is still more powerful and more capable fighter-bomber. plenty of examples of this plane may be available from ex USSR at knockdown prices. I am not sure how many examples of the Mig 29 iran operates at present. I think they directly purchased 40-50 from Russia and had dozen or so from Iraq. I think they also received Iraqi F1's and SU24's.

The latter Mig 29's offered to India could be a good proposition for Iran. But overall nobody really knows how many Russian fighters Iran operates. The Revolutionary Guards have J7 Skybolts. Won't be much effective against F16's or F15's unless they have had serious radar and ECM upgrades. I don't think the Iranian F7's are a serious point to point interceptor.

Last edited:

Dr Phobus

Hussain said:
SU27 is still more powerful and more capable fighter-bomber. plenty of examples of this plane may be available from ex USSR at knockdown prices. I am not sure how many examples of the Mig 29 iran operates at present. I think they directly purchased 40-50 from Russia and had dozen or so from Iraq. I think they also received Iraqi F1's and SU24's.

The latter Mig 29's offered to India could be a good proposition for Iran. But overall nobody really knows how many Russian fighters Iran operates. The Revolutionary Guards have J7 Skybolts. Won't be much effective against F16's or F15's unless they have had serious radar and ECM upgrades. I don't think the Iranian F7's are a serious point to point interceptor.
I understand the deal included up-grades to the fulcrums and the fencer planes. Of course, there's a real lack of details on the nature of the up-grades, also, if there's any additional ordinance. :D

aaaditya

by the way guns does this deal include the purchase of the iskander-e and the tocka short ranged surface to surface ballistic missiles,the latest variant of the igla surface to air missiles ,and the tungushka-m1 surface to air missiles?

they had expressed an interest in all these systems.

Dr Phobus

aaaditya said:
by the way guns does this deal include the purchase of the iskander-e and the tocka short ranged surface to surface ballistic missiles,the latest variant of the igla surface to air missiles ,and the tungushka-m1 surface to air missiles?

they had expressed an interest in all these systems.
According to janes, it did not mention any thing about SSM systems. Upgrades, mirage patrol boats, Tor 1M SAM. Thats all i know..

siresoul

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
IRAN SEEKS S-300 FROM RUSSIA

MOSCOW [MENL] -- Iran has entered an advanced stage of negotiations for the Russian-origin S-300 anti-aircraft and missile system.

Russian industry sources said Moscow and Teheran have held a series of talks for the Iranian purchase of the S-300 long-range surface-to-air missile system. The sources said the negotiations focused on the Iranian acquisition of an S-300 platform that would have missile interception capabilities.

"The negotiations were expected to be concluded shortly, but there are diplomatic issues that could block a contract," an industry source said.

On Jan. 13, the Kommersant business daily reported that a Russian team had arrived in Teheran to draft an S-300 contract. But Kommersant said the delegation was ordered to return to Moscow amid Teheran's resumption of uranium nuclear enrichment.
Link
Short time ago Iran bought Tor-M1 now they are buying S-300...they are developing a good air Defence but they are not concentratinging on their Air Force as they are operating their old f-4's ...........in an war their Air Force dosenot stand a chance ......

wittmanace

i dont remember the news source, so im not saying this is fact written in stone, but i remember a nws source in the uk saying that the iranians had acquired s 300 systems.....anyone remember this story? the story gave a few details, but not many. in th picture they used, there was an s 300pmu, though that might have been for visual reference, rather than showing the actual type sold................anyone know this story...as i said i think it was a uk news source (not bbc)...

turin

The Iranians are very interested in S-300 systems. However as of yet I am not aware of any report confirming a deal between Russia and Iran in these matters. In fact every news report only talks about "Iran seeking..., Iran wants..." etc. Since the S-300 would mean a lot more troubles for a possible strike against Iran than the TOR-units, I imagine that quite some political pressure might be on Russia over intentions of such a transfer.

Cootamundra

Hussain said:
I think the Iranians need to spend at least 10-15 billion dollars to modernise their military.
They do have the worlds second largest reserves of oil not to mention natural gas, if they can avoid economic santions (unlikely now) then they could do some kind of deal with the Russians for hard currency. Such a pity they dislike the yanks so much as they have energy reserves whilst the US has $$$$'s, perfect relationship apart from the small issue of resuming nuclear testing!