India Military Research Questions

Mercenary

I'm doing some research for a friend who's writing a paper and giving a presentation at the University of Washington on India's recent nuclear deal with the United States.

There are five questions that I specifically want answers too, but please only if you can provide vaild proof, i.e, reputable newspapers, industry magazines, authors and/or books.

1. What are the U.S. strategic interests besides arm's sales to India?

2. Is the U.S. trying to balance China's power in the region by developing India?

3. Does the U.S. hope to use India as a base of operations instead of Pakistan?

4. How does India's Military strength compare to China's?

5. What are the U.S. fears in that region concerning China?

Please be specific and as detailed as possible.

Thank you for your time. I may post this elsewhere, not sure where exactly is best.

Mercenary

aaaditya

Mercenary said:
I'm doing some research for a friend who's writing a paper and giving a presentation at the University of Washington on India's recent nuclear deal with the United States.

There are five questions that I specifically want answers too, but please only if you can provide vaild proof, i.e, reputable newspapers, industry magazines, authors and/or books.

1. What are the U.S. strategic interests besides arm's sales to India?

2. Is the U.S. trying to balance China's power in the region by developing India?

3. Does the U.S. hope to use India as a base of operations instead of Pakistan?

4. How does India's Military strength compare to China's?

5. What are the U.S. fears in that region concerning China?

Please be specific and as detailed as possible.

Thank you for your time. I may post this elsewhere, not sure where exactly is best.

Mercenary
and the answeres for your questions are:

1)us is interested in economic and technological partnership with india,usa also wants india to look after its shipping in the indian ocean and to provide the security for us merchant vessels,the possible use of the sethusamudram canal once it is completed ,use of maintainence and berthing facilities offered by the indian harbours in this region(cochin and chennai are favoured).

2)yes,this has been frequently stated by the us media and also seems to be perfectly logical.

3)not as a base of anti-terror operations ,but usa hopes to learn about anti terror warfare from india which has 50 years experience in this field and hence usa frequently sends its soldiers and officers to the cijws(counter insurgency and jungle warfare school) at wairangte in mizoram ,which is considered to be one of the best in the world.also usa wants to collaborate with india in intelligence sharing regarding terrorist bases and infrastructure etc.

they have also recently signed an agreement with india under which both countries will jointly monitor,regulate and control the smuggling of strategic materials,materials which can be used in development of wmd,industrial wastes etc.and also to jointly combat piracy.

4)favourably(i dont want to go into the details since i dont think that this thread is a place for comparing such topics,besides this topic has already been discussed on several occassions).

5)potential displacement of usa as a global pwer ,ability to intercept us sea lines of communication in the indian ocean region in the event of a war,this is the prime reason why china is setting up its string of pearls(carefully chosen ports of call and naval bases stretching from the arabian sea,indian ocean,bay of bengal and upto the south china sea besides securing their own sea lines of communications.
this is one of the prime reasons why india is being developed by usa as a counter to china.

6)also usa wants to take advantage of the large indian market for it's civilian and defence products,thus further strenghtening it's economy,usa also wants to derive benefits of india's large pool of educated talent for the development of its economy(outsourcing is an example).

Rich

Not to be forgotten is the fact that India is a functioning Democracy and in order to strengthen Democratic reform in the world we must also strengthen ties with Democratic, and budding Democratic, nations. Most of all in that region, with the eventual hope that the process will envelope countries such as Pakistan.

I get a kick out of my fellow Americans who turn their nose at such thoughts. Boy have the lived sheltered lives and truly need to shoulder an M-16 in a country where human rights aren't even a concept.

On a more practical note. The fall of the U.S.S.R. left a power vacuum in the subcontinent that we have been eager to fill in order to prosecute the war on terror.