Google Earth Geeks

contedicavour

tomahawk6 said:
Google Earth allows the amature defense sat photo analyst to venture into a realm open only to MI professionals. These defense geeks have indeed come up with some interesting discoveries.

http://server09.densan.ca/archivenews/060916/npt/060916c6.htm
I agree Google Earth allows for wondeful snapshots, though I am a bit disappointed by the relatively infrequent updating of the images available. Unless the update is available only to paying members ? :rolleyes:

cheers

rattmuff

Lurk-loader?
This takes me back.... I can recall a big headline a few months ago where a news paper found out that the National Defence Radio Establishment (in Sweden) main buildings was fully visable in Google Earth. This must have been very sensitive cause a few hours after this came out you could only see a big white cloud. :lol3

Davyd

Well, you've gotta give a satellite a chance. Granted, the things orbit like 8 times a day. But pictures for the average Joe are just low priority. You're not going find any that get updated anywhere faster than probably once per year (and that's if your lucky). Although some shots are obviously pretty recent. If you use Google-E to look at Keesler AFB, Biloxi, MS, USA you can see how recent that shot must be. I remember showing this same shot to someone back in July and the comparative shot on TerraServer. I was a student at Keesler back in '95-'96 and am used to the layout on TerraServer. Google-E's is from post-Katrina. And obviously the US government CAN move fast in some areas - it appears Keesler is completely open for business in the shot, and redone. And all before the first anniversary of the hurricane. That must've been a higher priority shot.

contedicavour

Davyd said:
Well, you've gotta give a satellite a chance. Granted, the things orbit like 8 times a day. But pictures for the average Joe are just low priority. You're not going find any that get updated anywhere faster than probably once per year (and that's if your lucky). Although some shots are obviously pretty recent. If you use Google-E to look at Keesler AFB, Biloxi, MS, USA you can see how recent that shot must be. I remember showing this same shot to someone back in July and the comparative shot on TerraServer. I was a student at Keesler back in '95-'96 and am used to the layout on TerraServer. Google-E's is from post-Katrina. And obviously the US government CAN move fast in some areas - it appears Keesler is completely open for business in the shot, and redone. And all before the first anniversary of the hurricane. That must've been a higher priority shot.
Do you know if paying subscribers to improved versions of Google Earth have access to more frequently updated pictures ? Or is that only reserved to big companies and governments ?

cheers

Grand Danois

Entertainer
contedicavour said:
Do you know if paying subscribers to improved versions of Google Earth have access to more frequently updated pictures ? Or is that only reserved to big companies and governments ?

cheers
AFAIK the data are the same. It is just more software tools that are made available...

kams

Grand Danois said:
AFAIK the data are the same. It is just more software tools that are made available...
You are right. Here what google earth says about the paid version.

Features

Fastest Google Earth performance
Improved printing and saving capabilities (2400 pixels)
Additional annotation tools (draw polygons with height)
Additional measurement tools (square feet, mile, acreage, radius, etc.),
Spreadsheet import - ingest up to 2,500 locations by address or lat/lon.
Technical Support assistance (email and phone) during business hours PST
Premium features and data (add-ons) such as movie maker, premium printing, GIS data importer and GDT traffic counts data work exclusively with Google Earth Pro
Note: While there are additional capabilities and features available in Google Earth Pro, the underlying imagery is the same for all versions of Google Earth

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Netherlands recently got better resolution imagery. While better looking, it is still several years old. Which makes is all the more interesting that Dutch navy ships and yard in Den Helder are blotted out while USN ships in Norfolk VA navalbase remain in plain view. Makes you wonder who'se paranoid.

lancejackCF

i hav 2 admit to being addicted to google earth, i hav systematically mapped huge sections of the NK DMZ and china, so fun, its amazing how much u could do if u had relatively recent images