Georgian military build-up

KonTim

I'm asking your convinience,but i really don't know if this subject has been discussed already to this forum.

My question is about Georgian military AFTER S.Ossetian war in summer.Do we have any solid evidence of possible Georgian rearming after August 2008?

Any weapons acquisition or planned acquisition?

And i would like to start a conversation about the path that Georgia sould take in reconstruction of her armed forces.

And i mean doctrine,organisation,force structure and level of readiness,possible weapons acquisition etc.

Is anyone interested on this?

KonTim

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
QUOTE,Feanor
I recall a certain military cooperation agreement with the USA.
Do you know the content of that agreement?

Any weapons acquisition or just training and consultative stuffs?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's the one. And you're right. By the way, I notice this is your first post. Welcome to defencetalk. I suggest your either make an introduction thread for yourself, or post in the existing one in the Off-Topic and Intros subforum, and tells us a little about yourself. Please do read the rules and enjoy your stay.

snake eater

That's the one. And you're right. By the way, I notice this is your first post. Welcome to defencetalk. I suggest your either make an introduction thread for yourself, or post in the existing one in the Off-Topic and Intros subforum, and tells us a little about yourself. Please do read the rules and enjoy your stay.
It's done Feanor. Please find my introduction thread in the Off-Topic and Intros.
What concerns to Georgia. The Americans promised to start a new training programme for Georgian forces. Unlike previous anti-insurgent trainings useful in Iraq and Afghanistan, this time the Georgians are to learn how to fight a real army. Do you know any specifics? And do you know if that is true that Georgian Navy recieved 8 new warships?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have not heard anything about it. I'm assuming Russian media would be howling about any weapon transfers to Georgia. Where have you heard the info. about the warships?

snake eater

I have not heard anything about it. I'm assuming Russian media would be howling about any weapon transfers to Georgia. Where have you heard the info. about the warships?
That's a claim by the Ossetian terrorists leader - Kokoyty. Of course he is not a reliable source. That's why I'm asking if you heard anything about that.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like I said I haven't heart anything. By the way, I don't know that Kokoity can be called a terrorist.

SkolZkiy

That's a claim by the Ossetian terrorists leader - Kokoyty. Of course he is not a reliable source. That's why I'm asking if you heard anything about that.
Snakeeater sory for off-top - and how do you think who was Shamil Basaev - terrorist or sepuratist??

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Snakeeater sory for off-top - and how do you think who was Shamil Basaev - terrorist or sepuratist??
Please do try to stay on topic. Kokoity didn't massacre civilians. Or lead raids into neighboring Georgian provinces.

snake eater

Please do try to stay on topic. Kokoity didn't massacre civilians. Or lead raids into neighboring Georgian provinces.
Hi guys,
Sorry for being the cause of the debate. I didn't mean that, I thought it's obvious. The last word if you will.
Feanor,
Kokoity just like Basaev is responsible for massacre of civilians (both Ossetian and Georgian by the way) and raids into neighboring Georgian provinces. I'm sure you are smart enough to find evidences. But even Amnesty International report on the Russian - Georgian war has dozens of them.

I met the guy personally and I understood why even Russian officers who served in Tskhinvali call him a gangster. My personal belief is that Basaev was the worse enemy of the Chechens and Kokoity is the same for Ossetians.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi guys,
Sorry for being the cause of the debate. I didn't mean that, I thought it's obvious. The last word if you will.
Feanor,
Kokoity just like Basaev is responsible for massacre of civilians (both Ossetian and Georgian by the way) and raids into neighboring Georgian provinces. I'm sure you are smart enough to find evidences. But even Amnesty International report on the Russian - Georgian war has dozens of them.

I met the guy personally and I understood why even Russian officers who served in Tskhinvali call him a gangster. My personal belief is that Basaev was the worse enemy of the Chechens and Kokoity is the same for Ossetians.
Really? You met Kokoity personally? I'm interested in hearing more. Please tell the story. :)

snake eater

You know I met him for a few times in different locations and I've seen the evolution of the guy. At first I thought this idiot with a constant dumb smile on his face can't be a leader of separatists or terrorists or whatever. The dump (which is not surprising - he is a former wrestler and the Champion of Georgia by the way) looked like a countryside gangster who didn't feel comfortable in his cheap suit and had no idea what he is supposed to say to journalists. So he definitely wasn't Che Guevara style guerilla leader :) But with a time his suits had been becoming more and more expensive, he had been surrounding by the FSO (Russian Secret Service) bodyguards and he had been becoming more and more self-confident. Only a dumb smile has been the same.
Last time my friends interviewed him just a couple of months before the Russian - Georgian war. When I asked them what did he say, they told me something bad is going to happen. Kokoity went out from the Russian Defence Ministry building in Moscow and my friends have never seen him before so bold and so enthusiastic. It was a bad sign. Quite soon we understood why.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have any texts of your interviews with him? I would be interested in reading them.

snake eater

I have been working for TV and I enjoy my privacy here :)
But I don't think it's a problem to find comprohensive reports on situation in South Ossetia

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was just curious in seeing something of your work on the subject. It's alright if you don't want to.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some news on Georgian re-armament. Purchase of 70 Turkish Ejder APCs.

ÀÐÌÑ-ÒÀÑÑ

A little info on the APC: Ejder Armored Personnel Carrier | Military-Today.com

Given how large Georgian vehicle park losses were in the recent war, I don't know if this is enough. Iirc it was BTRs and BMPs that they had before this, and presumably still operate in significant quantities. So this would also create maintenance issues. They would either need to purchase enough to phase out all older types, or foot the bill.

There is also the question of replacing lost aircraft, SAMs, MBT, and other equipment. I suspect we will see more contracts soon.

Arc Light

Banned Member
Some news on Georgian re-armament. Purchase of 70 Turkish Ejder APCs.

ÀÐÌÑ-ÒÀÑÑ

A little info on the APC: Ejder Armored Personnel Carrier | Military-Today.com

Given how large Georgian vehicle park losses were in the recent war, I don't know if this is enough. Iirc it was BTRs and BMPs that they had before this, and presumably still operate in significant quantities. So this would also create maintenance issues. They would either need to purchase enough to phase out all older types, or foot the bill.

There is also the question of replacing lost aircraft, SAMs, MBT, and other equipment. I suspect we will see more contracts soon.
Georgia's Army rearmament program is now up and running thanks to US funds! Georgia offered its territory as a communication hub for NATO's equipment transport to Afghanistan. There is very interested info about all that issues at link below:

Dissident Voice : A Rocky Beachhead: Instability in Georgia Puts US Geostrategic Plans at Risk

Also there is Georgian media report that artillery brigade will be recreated using Israeli and Czech equipment. I do not know much about rebuild of aviation and SAM defense but in my personal opinion Georgia should acquire Western weapons instead of old post-Soviet junk which ineffectivenesses was clearly shown during the last war.

Last edited: