French arms sales

drg

Okay, I've been atempting to research into recent French arms sales but Google is of not much help, and i can only find information on Mirage refurbishment projects. Could anyone help an amateur find some information on recent French arms sales (land, sea and air).
I even tried the DGA website but interestingly when you turn it into 'English translation' nothing's been translated :rolleyes: LOL

Grand Danois

Entertainer
Okay, I've been atempting to research into recent French arms sales but Google is of not much help, and i can only find information on Mirage refurbishment projects. Could anyone help an amateur find some information on recent French arms sales (land, sea and air).
I even tried the DGA website but interestingly when you turn it into 'English translation' nothing's been translated :rolleyes: LOL
I use Google translation myself, when it comes to French (and Italian).

http://www.google.com/translate_t

:)

contedicavour

Most French sales lately are helicopters (Eurocopter) and naval assets (DCN selling subs to India and frigates to Singapore, for example).
It's still a very tough time for Dassault (Rafale and Mirage) and the companies selling mechanized vechicles, MBTs and artillery (no more Leclerc MBT sales for instance).

I suggest you visit DCN and Eurocopter sites.

cheers

drg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks re translator Grand Danois

And yeah Dassault still can't sell the Rafale.
Who knows maybe Japan will buy Rafale :eek:nfloorl:
Thanks contedicavour for the heads up regarding DCN website. I'm not a big fan of the helicopter sales because they're joint ventures with other countries, and I prefer to categorise my countries one at a time.
On an interesting note, I found out on wikipedia that Pakistan had been seeking Mirage 2000s throughout the 90s (interesting because India now has them).

swerve

Super Moderator
And yeah Dassault still can't sell the Rafale.
On an interesting note, I found out on wikipedia that Pakistan had been seeking Mirage 2000s throughout the 90s (interesting because India now has them).
India got them in the 1980s. First delivery around 1985, IIRC.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
If you are not happy with coop sales than you are going to have problems in europe. ;)

A huge part of the new euqipment fielded in europe is coop one way or another or at least includes foreign tech.

contedicavour

If you are not happy with coop sales than you are going to have problems in europe. ;)

A huge part of the new euqipment fielded in europe is coop one way or another or at least includes foreign tech.
Agree... the 2 competitors Eurocopter and Agusta-Westland are competing for world leadership of the helo market, as their American equivalents are suffering in the latest tenders even in the US market ...
Agusta-Westland is 100% Italian owned but half of its production is in the UK so the group is anglo-italian and both countries should be proud of its achievements.

cheers

contedicavour

Rafale is good warplane but French couldn't sell.
I guess it's only a matter of time before some traditional Dassault customers get a superb value for money deal ... Algeria chose Russian jets, but countries like Morocco or UAE are likely to buy Rafales in a few years.

cheers

Turk

France sold so many Mirage 2000 variants to the UAE,And we know that UAE is the important customer for France yes they can probably buy Rafale but they have already choosed F-16 Blok 60 it maybe causes some difficulties for France in the future.

cheers

contedicavour

France sold so many Mirage 2000 variants to the UAE,And we know that UAE is the important customer for France yes they can probably buy Rafale but they have already choosed F-16 Blok 60 it maybe causes some difficulties for France in the future.

cheers
Good point. We don't know to what extent the UAE is ready to go for 2 separate lines of fighterbombers. They might decide to offset the pain for France with some new contracts for the army (which has 400 Leclerc MBTs) or the navy.

cheers

Falstaff

We don't know to what extent the UAE is ready to go for 2 separate lines of fighterbombers.
They already do it. They ordered the very advanced Mirage 2000-9 and deliveries started in 2003. So they will have a very capable fleet of 60 F-16 Block 60 along with 60 Mirage 2000-9. I too think they are a canidate for the Rafale, but I think there's no hurry for them.