Combat support and services units

Scorpius

who does the maintenance work in a combat division,say for aviation units?is it done by enginners from the Divisional Enginner battalion or is there a separate unit for maintenance?

what is the adjutant general's detachment called in a combat division?is it a battalion or a company sized unit?

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
who does the maintenance work in a combat division,say for aviation units?is it done by enginners from the Divisional Enginner battalion or is there a separate unit for maintenance?

what is the adjutant general's detachment called in a combat division?is it a battalion or a company sized unit?
If I'm understanding the question correctly, this is an Order of Battle question. In order to answer such a question, more information is needed, specifically which country the OrBat is desired for.

For the most part, most nations will have a similar sort of structure overall. However, there can be significant differences in the specifics. As the saying goes, the devil is in the details. In order to possibility answer the question, what nation is one talking about?

-Cheers

Ths

Banned Member
I would generally look at the brigade level, that has much responsability for the supply side:

Supplies: Ammo, gas and hamburgers
Medical: Normally a surgical hospital.
Transport
maitainence
Personel replacement

If it is placed elsewhere there is normally an interesting explanation for it.
The size of the various units in the Order of Battle might also give a hint of their intentions.

Simon9

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro

Different levels of maintenance are carried out at different levels. The units themselves (eg armoured or aviation) will do basic servicing and repairs at battalion level. A badly damaged or broken vehicle will be sent to a higher echelon, such as brigade level, division level or even higher depending on what it needs.

Scorpius

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wanted to know about combat support and services in all armies(US army,british army,all if you guys know that is).thanks for the replies.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Normal maintenance and many repairs even start at company level with mechanized companies having their own tech guys and equipment.

In Germany our logistic btns (Each consisting of logistic and maintenance companies) are divided from the combat brigades TO&E and are attached when needed.
But normally it is preplanned which combat brigade is supported by which combat support units.

adroth

I wanted to know about combat support and services in all armies(US army,british army,all if you guys know that is).thanks for the replies.
I believe your question assumes that the term "combat support and services" only refer to maintenance units. That might not be the case for all armed forces -- at least that is not the case for at least one branch in the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP): the Navy.

The Philippine Marines actually have a brigade named "Combat Support Services Brigade (CSSB)". This unit has administrative control of all armored assets, artillery, air defense, and riverine battalions in the of the corps. They maintain and rehabilitate their own gear, and man them with their own personnel when they are attached to other marine units. So this unit not only maintain the gear, they also fight with them.

This brigade also has its own combat arm: the Ready Force -- which use the brigade's own assets for its own missions. Recently, however, these missions have been mostly for urban protection. You can identify ready force units by their "Berlin Brigade" camo.

Last edited:

Ths

Banned Member
Simon9: I agree very much that the answer to the question is very much like selling elastic by the yard. Comparing the repair and maintainance of a Centurion and a Leopard units is almost impossible.

Pseudonym

Seems a very broad question to me, a kind of 'how long is a piece of sting?' deal.

Factors affecting an accurate answer, as far as I can tell would be (among others I'm sure): which army? what corps of said army? in what operational environment? what level of combat support and service? I guess you can see how involved the answer you want might be.

The Australian system (about all I'm only semi qualified to comment on :) ) operates in a similar manner to the one adroth describes with a CSSB (in our case the B stands for Battalion though) at the brigade level and smaller, unit formation maintainence, logistic and ordnance elements within specific battalions.

I understand this structure changes in an operational environment (because we have not deployed at a brigade level for a while now) and CSS elements travel within the deployed force usually at the battalion level (I will stand corrected on this though).

hope this was useful for you.

tomahawk6

Maintenance of aviation units is not done by engineers. Engineers at the brigade level and below are combat engineers they support the combat troops demining, sapper operations, construction ect. Below is a link to how a Forward Support Battalion works within a Stryker Brigade.

http://www.strykernews.com/archives/2005/04/07/transformation_of_logistics.html

The Aviation Support Battalion has three companies:
HSC: Headquarters Supply Company consists of all battalion-level command and staff personnel, all battalion food service personnel, and a support operations section. Additionally, it consists of the supply and service sections required to sustain the aviation brigade.

A Co: is an aviation intermediate maintenance company that repairs the aircraft of the 4th Brigade.

B Co: is the ground maintenance company in the support battalion. It repairs all ground support equipment organic to the brigade.

Scorpius

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
what are forward support companies for?I mean in the US army ,an armoured brigade has the maintenance ,medical and distribution companies along with forward support companies.what are these forward support companies and their functions?