A career in the Australian inteligance community

Ozzy Blizzard

Im currently a 3rd year Law student and i was thinking about a change in carrer path. I know a few of you have worked for inteligance agencies and i was wondering if you could answer a few questions?

what sort of experiance do you need?

is the work fulfilling?

How hard is the selection proscess for ASIS, DIO or ASIO(maybe) for a civilian?

Do you recomend it?

i'd love to hear your oppinions on a potential career in the inteligence community , to be honnest writing wills all day doesn't look all that atractive.:D

A

Aussie Digger

First off, finish your degree. It is a basic requirement that ALL applicants hold a degree in something, even for surveillance operatives to join any Australian Intelligence Organisation.

A bit of Army reserve training will help too. For one thing it will get you used to "Government" processes and application procedures etc and the perceived training and disciplinary benefits can only be a plus.

On top of that you will already hold a "secret" security clearance and make it that much easier to get through the vetting and background checks that are (obviously) extensive to join such an agency.

You can find out more application standards and details here:

http://www.asis.gov.au/io/process.html

and here:

http://www.asio.gov.au/

and here:

http://www.ona.gov.au/index.shtml

Snayke

You could always become an intel officer in the army. :p I can't remember exactly what jobs you could get but I think one was an intelligence analyst or something.

Magoo

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Ozzy Blizzard said:
Im currently a 3rd year Law student and i was thinking about a change in carrer path. I know a few of you have worked for inteligance agencies and i was wondering if you could answer a few questions?

what sort of experiance do you need?

is the work fulfilling?

How hard is the selection proscess for ASIS, DIO or ASIO(maybe) for a civilian?

Do you recomend it?

i'd love to hear your oppinions on a potential career in the inteligence community , to be honnest writing wills all day doesn't look all that atractive.:D
If you're serious about working in the intel community, you'll need to stop contributing to online message boards, no matter how reputable they are, such as this.

Magoo

Simster

From various books and newspaper articles I've read, the intel community don't really require any specific degree, although there has been more of a requirement for for technical dgrees. Things they'll probally look out for is people who've travelled alot, and hava a good understanding of international affairs.
Also being able to speak a second language would greatly enhance your prospects (especially arabic and chinese).

RubiconNZ

The Wanderer
Foreign Nationals

Subangite said:
how about foreign nationals? Would they be allowed to work for ASIO?
AFAIK you have had to have lived in Australia for 10 years, either way you then go through massive background checks and of course you have to be a citizen

Stryker001

Banned Member
ASIO policy I believe is not to discuss such an application etc with anybody prior to vetting. Telling people about such future aspersions may cost the applicant the opportunity to work in the intel community.

Re: Army intelligence if anybody asks you what you’re job is for the Army. The reply should be I am a soldier nothing else.

It is not for the individual employed by a Government agency to decide which intelligence is of value and can be disseminated. Private firms have their own internal polices in relation to these matters.

Once you sign a contract you no longer have the right of free speech.

Best of luck with your endeavours.