C5K rocket?

tyrant68

Greetings everyone, I have been reading the forums for a while now. This is my first post here.

I am trying to find some information about a rocket, that is generally referred to as a “C5K” It appears to be an older Russian artillery rocket of some sort. The insurgency in Iraq occasionally uses them against the coalition forces there.

I have already googled it a number of ways, I find a lot of links to videos and a few to Arabic language WebPages. I can’t find any good hard data on this rocket. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Greetings everyone, I have been reading the forums for a while now. This is my first post here.

I am trying to find some information about a rocket, that is generally referred to as a “C5K” It appears to be an older Russian artillery rocket of some sort. The insurgency in Iraq occasionally uses them against the coalition forces there.

I have already googled it a number of ways, I find a lot of links to videos and a few to Arabic language WebPages. I can’t find any good hard data on this rocket. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
I believe the C-5K is a version, or perhaps a "family member" of the Soviet 57mm S-5 series of unguided aerial rockets from the early 1950's. It has since been manufactured by other countries that were once affiliated with the Eastern Bloc, China (Norinco S-5) and a 55mm Bulgarian model come to mind.

The rocket itself would likely (-K model) mean it carries a HEAT warhead, and would likely be ~.8m long, with overall & warhead weights of ~4kg & 1kg respectively. This is assuming that a C-5K = S-5K

It had been used by Soviet forces as recently as the 1980's in Afghanistan from Mi-24 'Hind' helicopters and Su-25 'Frogfoot' attack aircraft where it was considered less than effective. It has since been replaced by the larger S-8 family of unguided rockets.

It is worth noting that on warfare.ru, the S-8 versions each have two listing, a C-version which appears to be in Cyrillic, and then an S-version written in the Latin/Roman alphabet.

From what I remember reading, some of them have been modified for use similar to Katyusha rocket artillery which have been used against US and allied forces in Iraq.

-Cheers

tyrant68

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the help. Once I started searching for an S-5 rocket, I found all the information I needed.