Bundeswehr's Shoppinglist for 2006

ger_mark

German Federal Armed Forces want to spend six billion on new armaments in 2006. The most important thin are the new communication systems and sattelites
http://www.welt.de/data/2006/01/20/833829.html

Bundeswehrs planned orders for 2006:

516 million euro for new communication systems
940 million for new satellite communication system SatcomBW
76 million euro For mobile communication system

250 million euro + 93 million euro for German Federal Armed Forces-own satellites (SAR Lupe - 5 spy satelites)

650 Million Euro for 5 Euro Hawk (Global Hawk)
185 Million Nato-Recon System AGS /Alliance Ground Surveillance System
450 Million Euro for modernisation of ch-53 fleet

381 Million for Pars 3 for Tiger Helicoter - 680 Missiles, they will give hellfire a run for money
1,43 Billion Euro fot 30 MH-90 Helicopter
2,2 Billion Euro for 4 f125 frigates
824 Million for 2 U-Boots U 212

200 Boxer MRAV
149 Dingo 2
Digital map system for 245 Million Euro

This stuff is an addition to a lot of other weaponary wich is already ordered/ under delivery right now:

- 180 Eurofighter Typhoon
- 60 A400M
- 4 a310 mrtt tanker
- 3150 irisT air-air missile
- meteor air-air missile
- Taurus cruise missile
- MEADS tactical airdefence system
- PAC 3 update for Patriots

- 2 more u212 (2 already delivered and 2 will be ordered so it will be 6)
- 3 f124 frigates just entered service, they are face to face to france and uk's newest destroyers
- navy just got 8 pc3 orions
- last year the navy recieved the most modern science ship in nato
- 5 k130 corvettes are ordered and 4 of them are already under construction
- rbs15 mk3 missiles
- essm missiles

- IT Project Herlukes for hightech communication and date transfer, worth 11bn euro
- Digital map system FAUST
- some 300 dingo 2
- 150 Duro 3
- 202 Fennek
- Infrantryman of the future 2000 systems/year
- GMLRS, guided mlrs
- 388 Mungo airlanding vehicles
- 80 NH 90
- 410 Puma aifv
- leflasys
- more wiesel 2's
- 980 Taifun UCAV's - will be used for the american fcs
- 60 KZO UAV's - will be used for the american fcs
- 120 Luna UAV's
- serval hundret other mini uav's for infantry
- marder 1a5 update
- digital training facilities (paintball with tanks)
- 80 Tiger combat helicopters
- 70 BV 206S

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
- navy just got 8 pc3 orions

The PC-3 Orions are old ones from the Netherlands.

- serval hundret other mini uav's for infantry

Do you mean ALADIN? They will also be used by tank and mechanized infantry units.

Despite the fact that the Bundeswehr is under big financial pressure they get many modern systems.
And many of them use supreme technology which is top ranking in the world.

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
Hi Guys,

Just a bit off topic, can you provide any links to sites that give a breakdown of the the organisation of the German Military, Unit organisation etc...?

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
Do they have to be in English? :D
You're too late. ;)
The Bundeswehr just changed their website layout and as I know they haven't implemented a new english version till now.
But if you want to try:

www.Bundeswehr.de

Maybe this helps you.
Heer:
http://www.europaeische-sicherheit.de/Rel/2005/2005_10/04_Artillerie/2005,10
The red circles have no meaning, they just show our artillery units. :)

www.globaldefence.net

I think the Bundeswehr needs more boots on the ground. We have too many Staffs which are a relict of the cold war era and never shrinked in the same way the Bundeswehr did.
As I know our army combat forces in the future are going to consist of:
- 6 tank btls
- 8 mechanized infantry btls
- 6 artillery btll
- 2 rocket artillery btls
- 4 airborne infantry btls
- 3 light infantry btls
- 3 mountain infantry btls
- 1 airmobile infantry rgt
- 2 attack helicopter rgts
- 1.000 special forces (KSK)

turin

The 180 Eurofighters are not safe by a long shot. Only Tranche 1+2 are under delivery or fixed contract, meaning something around 120 aircraft total. In fact the negotiations over Tranche 3 will become very interesting, since certain partners play around with cancelling that one or reducing numbers. We have seen that first with Germany, then with the UK over Tranche 2 and currently there are speculations in Germany again, over said Tranche 3. Although I really hope that LM's blurb during the austrian competition ("there will be no 3rd tranche") will not come true, its far from certain.

Btw same holds true for the second batch of 212A SSKs. While time and again military personnel talks about certainly getting them, there is still no fixed contract in existence and that may have been one of the reasons in accepting the Israeli bid for further Dolphins in order to calm down the contractors.

Cootamundra

My German friends would youo care to donate some of your 6 billion euros to your Aussie friends? ;-0

I'm particularly impressed with the amount of upgrades and investment going into the surveillence end of the German Armed Forces. The satellites sound very interesting, combined with the Global Hawkes and all of the UAVs you are looking at a very solid recon and intelligence capability.
Cheers, Coota

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I think, that all the new recon stuff (satellites, UAVs, Fennek scout vehicle, modern equipment of our recon infantry) is for the reason of being not so related to the US if it comes to intelligence and/or recon.

@Cootamundra
You did not buy the Leopard II so you get no money. :D :p:

turin

As for the satellites I agree, maybe for part of the land-based UAVs as well. However the Fennek and the new UAVs are rather unrelated to german dependency on US-ressources. Fennek is replacing our old M113-artillery recons and the not so old "Luchs" recon vehicles.
Among the UAV forces the new Euro Hawks are arguably the most significant and important units and besides being of US origin they also replace units which did not contribute to said dependency, namely the Breguet Atlantique SIGINT units.

BTW the current build-up in terms of satellite capability are supposed to be a first step. I am really looking forward to the integration of german and french (Helios) systems into one satellite-based recon-complex.

Last edited:

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
If you talk about more strategic recon and intelligence I agree. But the more tactical units (ALADIN UAV, Fennek, Fernspäher with IdZ) also allows the BW to operate on its own.
For example we don't have to ask the US Army btl on our left flank to help us out with FACs.

Cootamundra

Which is all well and good if you no longer like hanging out with the yanks but last time I checked you were still the major force in Nato and one of the USs most significant allies. Forget Iraq and don't listen to the French!

Global Hawke is a significant development, Australia is also getting up to 5 of them and they will be a welcome addition to go along with the Mariner UAVs and the Jindalee OTH.

Whiskyjack

Honorary Moderator / Defense Professional / Analys
Verified Defense Pro
I don't think, distrust of the Americans comes into it. I see it more as being able to conduct operations independently, which the Americans will most likely approve of.

One of the criticisms of western Europe has been its inability to operate without US support and resources.

Germany is only following the trend of France and Britain in this.

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
That's it.
And even when we operate together with US forces it is much better to have modern recon capabilities. Maybe the US use there recon forces for there own units when one of our btls is not sure about what's in front of it.

Cootamundra

Waylander said:
That's it.
And even when we operate together with US forces it is much better to have modern recon capabilities. Maybe the US use there recon forces for there own units when one of our btls is not sure about what's in front of it.
Of course you are correct, recon capabilities are an absolute must have. It would be great to see the german armed forces continue their great work in Afganistan...Coota