Black sea fleet submarine Alrosa pictures

KAPITAIN

Alrosa along side the pier looking like a normal every day kilo but there is a seacret at the back.

You guessed it the Alrosa is fitted with a shrouded water jet propulsion system making her quieter than the normal kilo's whats more she is the only known one to be fitted with this modification.

Taking a closer look and you will see that this is definatly no ordinary kilo.

And looking realy close you can see most of the bits and pieces in and around the shroud which normaly is coverd up i dont know why it isnt in this case.

Wild Weasel

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
First two possibilities:
1.) Either this is an enormous intelligence coup, which is a result of the worst case of OPSEC negligligence that I can possibly remember, or-

2.) this is a very blatent case of disinformation and statecraft.

Now, If it's real, ( It certainly looks real to me. ) and we assume that the West's intelligentsia are already aware of it- ( Of course they are.) then there are two additonal possibilities:

3. ) Various interested parties now know practically everything they need to know about that particular sub's sonar signature and propulsion system, and thus, it is already utterly compromised.

4.) The above intelligence agencies are also going to have new insight into the naval technology of the nation in question- Ukraine, or Russia...?

A Very interesting situation. Thank you for posting this.

KAPITAIN

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Of course many sonar technitians know the signature of this submarine it has been around for a very long time and was one of the many experimental submarines.

The pictures have been availible publicly for a while also and i have posted them on another site called subsim.com

I made utterly sure before i posted the first time on subsim that i could post these pictures i contacted the person who took them i think they could also be availible shortly on narod.ru if they arnt already.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
This was flagged on strategypage mid last month.

For those who know SP - note that none of the submariners/ex-submariners/current navy staff have made any comment.

The pics were actually taken from:

http://flot.sevastopol.info/eng/ship/submarines/b871.htm

I bet the british are unhappy about this ;) (even though they're on their 3rd generation of pump jet)

It is russian only though, the chinese kilos are still being slipped with 7 blade helicals, and the indian kilos are being slipped with 5 bladers