Beijing to provide Dhaka nuclear knowhow

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
Beijing to provide Dhaka nuclear knowhow
URL: http://www.financialexpress.com/fe_full_story.php?content_id=103496

The Chinese government is said to have succumbed to Bangladeshi pressure for atomic science transfer in exchange for major naval bases in the Bay of Bengal.

Bangladesh’s hardline Prime Minister Begum Khaleeda Zia had during her recent visit sought nuclear power technology from China. The transfer of civilian nuclear technology is just a cover because, sources say, China might proliferate weapons technology as well, as it originally did with Pakistan, Iran, and Libya.

It may be recalled that China supplied the nuclear technology to Pakistan after India’s first nuclear test in Pokhran in 1974, because it wanted to encircle it, and also in an attempt to gain atomic advantage.

China followed up transfer of nuclear technology by selling missile technology as well, that gave Pakistan eventual nuclear parity with India.

Bangladesh is travelling the same road. Countries besides Bangladesh, like Brazil and South Africa, which gave up their weaponisation programme with the end of the cold war, now feel India is unfairly advantaged by keeping its nuclear weapons.

"Some of these countries feel that India is probably getting special concessions from the US after the signing of the civial nuclear energy cooperation in July," sources said.

They added that with several countries opposing the civil nuclear energy cooperation between India and the US and a crucial board meeting of the Nuclear Suppliers' Group due to take place in Vienna, has provoked Bangladesh to look to China for such a cooperation.

For long, China-watchers have held that China wants to set up an alternative state to North Korea, in case North Korea were to ever stand down in its nuclear confrontation with the US, and Bangladesh has long pined for that position.

India is going to be surrounded firstly by China then by Paksitan and thirdly by Bangladesh.And it is surprising that Bangladesh will give its Naval bases to China in this way Indian ocean will be under China's control.

[Admin edit: kashif, I updated the LINK with the ACTUAL source from which the news was copied from... please do the same in the future. Post the ACTUAL source/URL of the news article instead of a blog, etc.]

Last edited by a moderator:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
kashifshahzad said:
India is going to be surrounded firstly by China then by Paksitan and thirdly by Bangladesh.And it is surprising that Bangladesh will give its Naval bases to China in this way Indian ocean will be under China's control.
Thats a terribly optimistic but unsubstantiated statement. Indias military is bigger than all 3 coastal neighbours combined. China doesn't have a bluewater local capability - and is not going to have a bluewater "ex-China" capability for at least 5-8 years.

Having an effective military is a lot more complicated than just adding up "widgets".

aaaditya

gf0012-aust said:
Thats a terribly optimistic but unsubstantiated statement. Indias military is bigger than all 3 coastal neighbours combined. China doesn't have a bluewater local capability - and is not going to have a bluewater "ex-China" capability for at least 5-8 years.

Having an effective military is a lot more complicated than just adding up "widgets".
also it will bring a lot of headaches for bangladesh:
1)bangladesh does not have strategic depth to defend it's nuclear assets.
2)armed forces are the weakest in south asia(not capable of defending a nuclear asset)
3)low lying country ,most prone to floods and cyclones and do not have a disaster management system.
4)do not have the knowledge and tehnical background to handle nuclear assets.
(china can provide it)
5)have no known uranium deposits to sustain nuclear powerplants.
6)have the weakest economy in the region.
7)usa and india will be realy worried if bangladesh acquires nuclear capability from china(usa may impose sanctions on bangladesh and india is the largest trading partner of bangladesh).
8)suffering from islamic extremism.
in other words bangladesh is buying a major headache from china.:D

ashblackhawk

Banned Member
I think this is a good move by china. Also i suppose, bangladesh is frustrated by India closing down its border(& fencing it) with bangladesh which allowed lot of human trafficking/illigal immigration into India. Well its time for India to payback in the same coin by strengthening the s-e states encircling china including full diplomatic support to taiwan. If these news are correct, i am damn sure Indian military will be up in arms to strengthen its presence in s-e asia. Its time for greater understanding of chinese strategy in the region. I will support the cause of "world navy" as envisioned by US general.

Cheers :flame

Elite Brain

If CHINA want to store some NUKES in bangladesh, im all for it if it scares the indeeaans next door. And if China wants to Dock its Nuclear subs in the Bay of Bengal, then that would be a very positive development for the security of the bay of Bengal.

ashblackhawk

Banned Member
Elite Brain said:
If CHINA want to store some NUKES in bangladesh, im all for it if it scares the indeeaans next door. And if China wants to Dock its Nuclear subs in the Bay of Bengal, then that would be a very positive development for the security of the bay of Bengal.
--Scaring India !! What are you talking about. In 3-years times India will have capability to hit virtually each corner of china with Nukes. May be they have but undeclared under World pressure. You dont need Nuke-subs to deliver nukes. hehehe. I pity bangladesh [Admin Edit: No mocking, insults or flame baits] is once again going to be colony like paaki-stan is of US-China combine(This is opinion of a paaki-stani friend of mine who is a post-doctoral fellow(certainly have much brains and balls than you "elite brain"). :D

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
ashblackhawk;

Even though ur post is way tooo SARCASTIC than TECHNICAL, I would like to tell u few things.

India knows & is threaten by the Chinese projects of Gwadar port in Pakistan, Chittagong port & nuclear know how in Bangladesh. Bangladesh is better than North Korea in ecomomic basis & I think they can have a small range ballistic missiles.

India realizes that with Gwadar & Chittagong, China would not only be able to launch nuclear strike over India (In every corner u can possibly think of) from its own land (From the north of India) but also from the Bay of Bengal & Arabian sea (Its East & South West). These Chinese nuclear subs wont even have to enter India seas to launch these strikes but a movement from Chittagong to Gwadar & vise-versa would be continious.

It is because of these reasons that USA is equiping India with Patriots Missiles & are marketing F-18s more than F-16s because of its maritime capability which may help in attack against Chinese Navy which is to be based at Gwadar & Chittagong. Analyst are already calling this Navy "The Joint Merchant Navy (of Pak-China & BD)".

Pakistan's need for more world class Subs other than Agusta-B, the joint production of F-22P frigate, the decision to buy frigates from US & Britain, The test of Babur Cruise Missile (yet to be tested from sea but is capable) & offer to China for Joint Air Defence bases at Karachi & Gwadar (along with both airforces mainstay aircrafts to be stationed there) are all part of this.

Now u mean to say that Chinese presence in India's East, West, North & South of India in form of Naval & airforces does not scare it. If it dint India wouldnt be in such a hurry to induct 125 Multi Role fighters & new maritime fighters to replace sea harriers.

As I said Indians are threatened & they had in past convayed this to US. US felt threaten that it wont be able to make open movement in Arabian Sea but than they too have their interests in Gwadar project. Hence they are only willing to equipe India at the extend to stop Chinese aggression but not to an extend that India could launch aggression. They are also helping improve India's nuclear know how but on civil basis, this too to put Chinese on their back foot.

About 4 months back I was in Islamabad. I had come across a report (unconfidention but not public). It said that by 2015 ro 2020 the Joint Naval deployment would be the largest Naval deployment in the world capable of lauching air strike from fighters & missiles.

Along with all this, it blocks Indian trade routs from all sides with Chinese ships hovering in Pakistani, Bangladeshis & international waters in the south.

& Coming back to Topic; India like Israel is one of those un lucky countries which has ruined its relationship with its neighbour due to poor diplomatic approach towards them & is now surrounded by enemies out of which two are capable of launching nuclear strikes from North & West. An addition of Nuclear capability & ability to launch it from East puts great deal of pressure on India, specialy when the three countries are in more of an allie formation.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Some of you are starting to get too personal.

Tone down and de-personalise some of the comments or I'll send the post into lockdown for a few days.

Play Nice!

pingpong

I think it is good for bangladesh if they get nuclear technology. A lot of their energy problems will be solved and the overall this will have a good impact on the Bangladeshi economy.

Bangladesh is NPT and CTBT signed country so there is no question of nuclear bomb for bangladesh. Another thing is they can't offered to make a bomb. Theri main aim would be to prodeuce electricity which would be cheaply supplied to industry. This is a good news if it will happen. Countries like US and china and all other countries are facing energy crisis due to increasing price of oil and gas. So Bangladesh being a third world country should focus on other energy resources like nuclear to support is economy. The problem with bangladesh is that it has a huge population to feed and unless there are no more jobs and energy crisis are on the head, what worst could happen to them.

After all, every country has the right to use nuclear energy for peaceful purpose. As far as the strategic impact of this will definitely goes against india. Bangladesh is very small country as compared to gaint india and they are a bitter enemy's.India have miserably failed to foster good relations with its neighbours.

The best way for the indians to avoid confrontations with its neighbours would be avoid border clashes and solve teritorial matters as quickly as possible, specially with China and Pakistan.

Francois

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
pingpong said:
The best way for the indians to avoid confrontations with its neighbours would be avoid border clashes and solve teritorial matters as quickly as possible, specially with China and Pakistan.
Nice thoughts, but China will never stop trying to advance toward West. So if they could settle some frontier, the next year, the Red Army will be crossing it.

aaaditya

SABRE said:
ashblackhawk;

Even though ur post is way tooo SARCASTIC than TECHNICAL, I would like to tell u few things.

India knows & is threaten by the Chinese projects of Gwadar port in Pakistan, Chittagong port & nuclear know how in Bangladesh. Bangladesh is better than North Korea in ecomomic basis & I think they can have a small range ballistic missiles.

India realizes that with Gwadar & Chittagong, China would not only be able to launch nuclear strike over India (In every corner u can possibly think of) from its own land (From the north of India) but also from the Bay of Bengal & Arabian sea (Its East & South West). These Chinese nuclear subs wont even have to enter India seas to launch these strikes but a movement from Chittagong to Gwadar & vise-versa would be continious.

It is because of these reasons that USA is equiping India with Patriots Missiles & are marketing F-18s more than F-16s because of its maritime capability which may help in attack against Chinese Navy which is to be based at Gwadar & Chittagong. Analyst are already calling this Navy "The Joint Merchant Navy (of Pak-China & BD)".

Pakistan's need for more world class Subs other than Agusta-B, the joint production of F-22P frigate, the decision to buy frigates from US & Britain, The test of Babur Cruise Missile (yet to be tested from sea but is capable) & offer to China for Joint Air Defence bases at Karachi & Gwadar (along with both airforces mainstay aircrafts to be stationed there) are all part of this.

Now u mean to say that Chinese presence in India's East, West, North & South of India in form of Naval & airforces does not scare it. If it dint India wouldnt be in such a hurry to induct 125 Multi Role fighters & new maritime fighters to replace sea harriers.

As I said Indians are threatened & they had in past convayed this to US. US felt threaten that it wont be able to make open movement in Arabian Sea but than they too have their interests in Gwadar project. Hence they are only willing to equipe India at the extend to stop Chinese aggression but not to an extend that India could launch aggression. They are also helping improve India's nuclear know how but on civil basis, this too to put Chinese on their back foot.

About 4 months back I was in Islamabad. I had come across a report (unconfidention but not public). It said that by 2015 ro 2020 the Joint Naval deployment would be the largest Naval deployment in the world capable of lauching air strike from fighters & missiles.

Along with all this, it blocks Indian trade routs from all sides with Chinese ships hovering in Pakistani, Bangladeshis & international waters in the south.

& Coming back to Topic; India like Israel is one of those un lucky countries which has ruined its relationship with its neighbour due to poor diplomatic approach towards them & is now surrounded by enemies out of which two are capable of launching nuclear strikes from North & West. An addition of Nuclear capability & ability to launch it from East puts great deal of pressure on India, specialy when the three countries are in more of an allie formation.
in the event of hostile situation(not necessarily a war),india can effectively block bangladeshi ports thus preventing enemy warships from entering them ,like they did in the 1972 war,bangladesh may have a short range ballistic missile ,but it more of showcase technology,neither do they have the depth nor the ability to withstand an indian retaliation if they use a srbm equipped with either conventional or nuclear warheads.
neither india nor china will want to escalate a potentially trouble some scenario due to the availability of nuclear weapons with both the nations,as aresult of which they will want to go for a mutually beneficial compromise.in the event of a war both india and china stand to lose a lot(both economically as well as politically).
as far as bangladesh is concerned any acquisition of nuclear technologically from china in return for the use of its nuclear bases will realy anger usa(we may see a lot of economic sanctions ,india may join too) and india is one bangladesh's largest trading partners and usa one of the largest donors(bangladesh has got a lot too lose),also several countries in the region(singapore,thailand,indonesia,malaysia and vietnam) will start getting worried besides india and usa(even though i dont think china is looking at india as of now,i believe china is more bothered about securing its economic assets and also monitoring us assets transiting through that region).:D

pingpong

Nice thoughts, but China will never stop trying to advance toward West. So if they could settle some frontier, the next year, the Red Army will be crossing it.
what made you think this. Chinese are peaceful country, they don't like to poke their nose in others matter like US. well we are not discussing this, coming back to the topic, If the bangladesh goes after nuclear tech, following could be the consequences.

1. possible sanctions from US (No aid.....which i think bangladesh can afford if it can get some trade benefit from china, or the chinese invest in Dhaka as they are investing in Pak)

2. India in retaliation might stop doing trade with Dhaka. Since the country's economy is based on agriculture. Rice, jute, tea, sugarcane, tobacco, and wheat are the chief crops.(Again China and Pak can compansate.)

3. International pressure would be immense as the western countries would argue that dhaka can handle such a highly sofisticated tech. secondly they will stop dhaka from accuiring the tech that they don't have the capability to stop terrorist taking oversuch strategic assets.

4. The economic growth indicators for dhaka are going fine so they can go for nuclear tech but u can expect india acting like israel and destroying the plant before it starts working.

Overall, i see dhaka decision to go for nuclear tech for energy as a good alternate source of energy and they have the capability to come upto the tasks. let us wait and see what developments further take place.:rolleyes:

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
What every one is talking about is completely irretional. The main purpose is giving Bangladesh a source of energy not nuclear weapons. What ever China may be it is not irresponsible (well not completely). Nuclear weapon is not Bangladesh's requirement.

SATAN

Elite Brain said:

I think this is part of a overall strategy the chinese are contemplating. Bangladesh,Nepal are all moving closer to China, as they do not trust the indians. China, the next superpower after the US, is moving towards building comprehensive security relationships with Bangladesh, Nepal and SriLanka. It already has deep rooted alliances with Burma and of course its all weather ally Pakistan.

(Recent developments in the region show that even Iran has dumped the indians)

Berserk Fury

lol
Yeah, China wants to maintain its border security as its ties with Taiwan are stressed more the the taiwanese-independence idea. If China ever attacks, which I can almost guarantee it will if the Taiwanese declare independence, they'd want secure borders so they could focus their efforts. Either way, something will happen between China and Taiwan unless Taiwan peacefully returns to the PRC which is a possibility if China continues changing politically as it is now.

Bangladeshi

aaaditya said:
also it will bring a lot of headaches for bangladesh:
1)bangladesh does not have strategic depth to defend it's nuclear assets.
2)armed forces are the weakest in south asia(not capable of defending a nuclear asset)
D
Bangladesh do have a small but effective military force which is subjected to regular modernisation over the years. I am sure If even Bangladesh wants to acquire Nuclear Weapon it will make necessary adjustments.

And Bangladeshi military is the Third strongest in South Asia. look for some credible source. Considering the fact that Bangladesh's defence budget is minuscule in compare to India , I would say we are doing pretty good.

You probably dont know Bangladesh is one of the largest contributor to UN peacekeeping force and have been praised for having a proffessional army.

3)low lying country ,most prone to floods and cyclones and do not have a disaster management system.
India also did have some serious flood over the years. Flood like other natural calamity can only slow down economic and social progress. It does not do any permenant damage.

If you read newspapers in US regularly, you would see Bangladeshi disaster management improvement have eeb a topic of discussion. We have come a long way since the last cyclone killed thousands.

4)do not have the knowledge and tehnical background to handle nuclear assets.
(china can provide it)
Blant lie. That just says how much you know About the subject matter you are talking about. And have you ever heard of the term learning. Look it up.

5)have no known uranium deposits to sustain nuclear powerplants.
No known to you. CoxsBazar have large quantity of uranium. Government does not declare it like some loud Mouth neighbour of ours cause it gets the kind of attention we dont want.

6)have the weakest economy in the region.
Third largest economy in terms of GDP value. Second only to India and Pakistan ( both are larger than Bangladesh). Investment have seen 50% growth over the last couple of years. Economy has registered more than 5% GDP growth consistently.

Yes we can do much better. But this is just a start.

8)suffering from islamic extremism.
Exception can not be an example. In last 3 election Islamic parties have gained very few seats in the country. People in Bangladesh ( despite being pious) still largely secular in their political view. No sign of changing that anytime soon.

BTW India does elected hindu fundamentalists and have records of minority opression. That does not make India extremist . Does it?

in other words bangladesh is buying a major headache from china.:
We are buying electricity which is powered by nuclear tech. How the possiblity of producing electricity and ending the power shortage is a headache is beyond my understanding.

Berserk Fury

Bangladeshi said:
We are buying electricity which is powered by nuclear tech. How the possiblity of producing electricity and ending the power shortage is a headache is beyond my understanding.
Well, waste transport is a big thing. Terrorists could build a dirty bomb using nuclear waste for all we know...