Basic Training Info - Just want to know the phases.

RM87

Gday everyone,

Im just looking for someone who has actaully been to Kapooka and completed their Basic Training.

If this is you would you please be able to post how it all goes along from start to finish. eg. What happens when you get there ? What happens each week, morning etc ? Is it more physical in each week, eg. Is it more PT orienated in the first weeks or more of a teaching phase ? and anything else you can think of.

I have read what happens in their listings however i have been told different. I just want to settle my mind lol its going into overdrive thinking.

Aussie Digger ? I know you know what happens lol, Any input mate ?

Thanks fellas.

A

Aussie Digger

RM87 said:
Gday everyone,

Im just looking for someone who has actaully been to Kapooka and completed their Basic Training.

If this is you would you please be able to post how it all goes along from start to finish. eg. What happens when you get there ? What happens each week, morning etc ? Is it more physical in each week, eg. Is it more PT orienated in the first weeks or more of a teaching phase ? and anything else you can think of.

I have read what happens in their listings however i have been told different. I just want to settle my mind lol its going into overdrive thinking.

Aussie Digger ? I know you know what happens lol, Any input mate ?

Thanks fellas.
It's changed quite a bit since I went through Kapooka (in 1994, when it was 13 weeks long, as opposed to 6) however the basics are the same. You march in, complete your admin (ie: course introductions, initial issue of kit, innoculations, med checks, introductions with Section commander, platoon Sgt, Plt commander etc). This was week 1 for me, it's probably a bit shorter (ie: first couple of days) now.

After that it's a mix of lessons and PT. Lessons on Army history, protocols etc, drill, weapons training, basic drills (ie: "immediate actions on contact" etc) field craft, navigation, first aid, "laws of armed conflict", radio theory basics includng "phonetics" etc, introductions to section level patrolling, range shoots, introduction to using "ninox" NVG kit, learning the basics of camouflage and concealment, (shadow, shine, shape, silhouette, sound) etc. PT will include various things like runs (starting reasonably easier and progressively becoming harder through the course), "RDJ's" (run, dodge, jump), swim tests.

You will do a "bush" phase towards the end of the course, where you'll be shown exciting things like erecting a hoochie, dining on 24 hour individual rat packs (the "C" pack was my favourite), further lessons on patrolling, constructing defensive positions (ie: digging weapons pits etc), navigation, morning routine (ie: standing to, "quiet time" etc) and all the other bits and pieces you need to know to "live" in the bush (learning how to operate there comes later).

At the end of the course, you will prepare for your march out. This will include practicing your drill repetitively so you don't embarass Army (and yourself) in front of family and friend, higher ranking officers etc.

Each morning, you will start with a parade in front of your section commander. You will then SS&S at a rapid rate and move on to your daily routine. PT wil normally be conducted in the morning (when it's coolest), however it will depend on your timetable exactly when you do everything (as EVERY platoon has to be fitted in to every "stand" or lesson).

Therefore you might find yourself conducting PT a bit later in the day. I'm fairly certain that you will do PT everyday (we did) but that might have changed with the condensed timetable. I'm certain the PT will become progressively harder as the course progresses. Depending on your fitness level, you may find PT relatively easy at first as it's designed to train "everyone".

Initially you will probably find yourself going in to "information overload". This is done for a specific reason. It is designed to convert civilians into soldiers. At least, soldiers at the beginning of their careers. It is designed to take you from a "civilian's" mindset, into one that "works" for army. You need to be able to absorb a lot of information, "adapt" to Army's way of thinking and "over-coming" any prec-conceived notions of your own about the way things should be done, all in a matter of 6 weeks. As such the pace will be fairly hectic and a certain amount of pressure will be placed on you (to perform). Your instructors may use such tactics as talking up an operational deployment at some point during your course, to make you "focus" on the tasks at hand, ie: "you could be at war tomorrow, so you need to concentrate and learn NOW"...

Learn to take these things in your stride, and absorb the knowledge that your "secco" has. Even if you don't agree with him (or her) or personally don't like them, try and truly understand what they are trying to teach you. Some people fall into the trap of allowing differing personalities to effect their learning. Bear in mind, at the end of the day, you are there to learn, not question. The course is designed for you to pass, not fail. Do as you are instructed. Learn all they have time to teach.

Other than that. Just hook in mate. Your instructors place more value on effort, than the results you achieve. If you absolutely work your a*se off and achieve a pass mark, who can ask for more? It's if you're "jack" or being "pea-hearted" or thinking you know better than they do, that you will find yourself in trouble...

Other than this advice, I can't be more precise about what YOU will do. Every person has a slightly different experience. The basics are the same for everyone however, and remember that thousands if not tens of thousands have passed through Kapooka successfully. Why would you be any different?

RM87

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks heaps for the info digger, You have put me at ease mate. Not long to go now :)

Very detailed post btw thanks for that

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
RM87, im an ex recruit inst from 1RTB. Hope you have fun! Aussie digger is right in all the advice,however, im gunna chuck in my 2bobs worth as well! Dont be an absolute follower, leader ship qualities start from day 1. Keep a positive attitude from the moment the bus passes through the gate. Dont let pea hearted whingers bring you down. T he training might at times confuse you, its meant to. Its meant to be stressfull so you can learn how to cope with stress,soldiering is stressfull! Dont be jack, youll learn what that means soon enough, but at the same time be as strong as you can, dont whinge or complain,ever,it will bring others around you down. put in maximum effort always,the instructers will try to bring out your best,and will recognise if you are cruiseing.Remember that life after 1rtb is different.Good luck mate! Soldiers of today have a lot more oppertunities to get the job done than in my day!

A

Aussie Digger

Snayke said:
I'm not a very good swimmer. Will that hamper my chances of getting into the ADF?
It won't hamper your chances of getting in, but you will have to complete a swim test, which involves, IIRC swimming 100 metres (in a pool) in full cam's and then treading water for one minute.

Getting a bit of practice in, prior to basic is a good idea, a) so you can pass the test, and b) cause it's a good "low impact" cardio exercise, which will help your strength and fitness no end if you do plenty of it...

Snayke

Aw.. I'm not a swimming type of person. Treading water shouldn't be that difficult, dunno about swimming though. I haven't swam in ages..

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
gday, as aussie digger said, it wont stop you from getting in,however,it would be in your best interest to start swimming now,go to the pool(jog there),and start training. You dont have to be Thorpey to swim 100m and you wont attract too much heat if can swim it and tred water for a couple of minutes.The less "help" you recieve from the instructers during basic training the better. keep in mind that basic tng is stressful,and stuggling through just one minor part of your training can play on your mind and affect other areas of yr tng. my advice to you is get fit before you start,and beef up on your weeker areas.