Australia is not ready for war

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess we take this as a sign we need to spend more on defence or at least hold those accountable for ferk ups.

"There is a bias within Defence towards investing in the future force rather than giving government the fully functioning options they really need today."
Hmm well if we had planned for the future in the past then we would have a fully functioning force.

We aren't ideally placed, but I think we could hold our own. Once we get 12 SH, 12 growlers, 12 new subs, 4 AWD's, 2 LHD's, new choppers, new lifters, wedgetail etc it will be a different game..

BILLIONS of dollars of fighter jets, warships and military equipment cannot be used in their current state because they would be too vulnerable to enemy fire.

A critical lack of upgraded weaponry has left the Australian Defence Force unable to deploy most of its frontline fighters or warships at short notice against any enemy with modern air defence systems or anti-ship missiles.

An investigation by The Australian reveals much of the ADF's most powerful weaponry is awaiting upgrades or promised replacements and is useful only for training purposes or deployment on operations where there is little or no risk of high-level conflict.

As such, the ADF, which receives $22 billion in taxpayer funds each year, cannot conduct any high-level operations without substantial support from coalition forces such as the US.

Former Defence official Allan Behm said: "I think the public would be absolutely astonished and gobsmacked to think we spend so much on defence every year and yet we can't send much of it into harm's way because it won't work or it will not survive in a contest."

Defence experts say none of the RAAF's soon-to-be-retired F-111 strike bombers nor the majority of the 71 F/A-18 Hornet fighters can be used against modern air defences because they lack sufficient electronic protection.

Similarly, they say the navy's eight Anzac frigates cannot be sent into a hotly contested war zone because of a lack of defensive weaponry, while the four other frigates, the FFGs, are still unavailable after a bungled and delayed $1.5 billion upgrade.

Experts say the problem reflects a litany of delayed equipment upgrades as well as a Defence Department mindset that focuses more heavily on future purchases than on current operations. They say the proper balance between current and future defence needs has been lost.

Daniel Cotterill, former chief of staff for Defence Minister Joel Fitzgibbon, told The Australian: "There is a bias within Defence towards investing in the future force rather than giving government the fully functioning options they really need today."

The Government is in the final stages of preparing a Defence white paper that will outline a multi-billion-dollar shopping list of new planes, ships and hi-tech weaponry. But the ADF is in a parlous state of readiness for serious conflict.

A deficiency in anti-submarine warfare capabilities means the navy would be unlikely to risk sending surface ships into zones where enemy subs were present.

Andrew Davies, an analyst with the Australian Strategic Policy Institute, said: "Our ability to actively search for submarines is very limited to short-range technologies and we have little or no ability to successfully fire a weapon at a modern submarine."

Only half of the six-boat Collins-Class submarine fleet is available and a shortage of crew would make it impossible to sustain operations for long.

The army cannot deploy any of its 33 Blackhawk helicopters into warzones, including Afghanistan, because they remain vulnerable to shoulder-launched missiles.

It is also considered unlikely to deploy its M113 armoured personnel carriers because, despite receiving a $500 million upgrade, the M113s are considered vulnerable to large improvised explosive devices, such as those used by the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Experts say the Government needs to pressure the ADF to make its existing equipment more operationally effective rather than wait for future replacements.
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25267127-601,00.html

IPA35

We are not ready for war neither, so a budget increase and new doctrine are needed.

Shortage of sub crews is quite a common problem these days.
But you don't need 12.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
After reading a couple of articles by The Australian, and as an outside observer, IMHO, while the articles written contain an element of truth, they are also very much slanted to a certain angle so as to imply incompetence. This reporting style is not intended to 'fair and balanced' and layman readers should realise that the writers' intent is to be critical.

Let me cite another article by The Australian below to illustrate:

Cameron Stewart said:
IF there were a moment when the fragile relationship between Joel Fitzgibbon and the defence establishment finally snapped, it might have been the surprise attack the minister launched on his own flock in Brisbane last October.

On that day Fitzgibbon did what previous defence ministers have rarely done: he gave his own defence force a blunt public spray about its big-picture priorities and its lack of preparedness for battle. Fitzgibbon was angry about not having the option of deploying the army's Black Hawk helicopters into Afghanistan. The minister had been taking political heat over an inadequate number of NATO medical evacuation choppers available for Australian troops at their base in Tarin Kowt, in Oruzgan province.

"If we do see a strategic and tactical justification for sending Black Hawks to Afghanistan tomorrow, we would be unable to do so as they lack the electronic warfare self-protection they require," Fitzgibbon lamented. "We spend a lot of time thinking and talking about important capability as we look far out into the future, but we seem to spend much less time talking about the capability we need to do the things we do right now and on a regular basis."

The minister's comments broke the rules of keeping such criticism in-house. Defence likes to see its ministers keep a stiff upper lip in public, confining any criticism to private meetings. Fitzgibbon put his department offside on that day, but he also made a telling point. Few Australians are fully aware that tens of billions of dollars' worth of front-line weaponry from the navy, air force and army cannot be sent to war today unless it is a low-level, low-risk operation.
What rubbish! Mr. Joel Fitzgibbon is the current minister of defence and it is his current responsibility to make tough choices. As minster, you take the current state of the ADF as the sum of it's prior procurement choices, which prior ministers sitting in his role were also responsible for.

No ministry of defence and no minister of defence has a crystal ball to look into the future. In fact, the world over, everyone recognises all militaries do get some of it wrong and it is always necessary to adapt once conflict starts. This is the role of the current incumbent minister and he cannot just cry and say that his predecessors gave him a bad hand.

Cameron Stewart said:
Across the entire ADF, an alarming amount of expensive military equipment is not in a suitable upgraded condition to be sent to war. This is the legacy of project mismanagement and a Defence Department mindset that focuses more heavily on the defence force of tomorrow than on the force of today.

"It really is amazing how little (equipment) can be actually deployed overseas when we have a defence budget of more than $22billion," says Andrew Davies, an analyst with the country's premier independent military think tank, the Australian Strategic Policy Institute.
Yes, it is fair to say that there has been project mismanagement but it is also disingenuous to say that the ADF should not look to the future, as I'm sure the next minister of defence would like to blame Mr. Joel Fitzgibbon for the decisions he made today. All defence forces must look to the future to some extend and make an educated guess. If you don't, you are doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

For some reason, Mr. Joel Fitzgibbon has convinced the reporter he is not the problem and has a political body armour that seems bullet proof. If only the troops deployed can have the same invincibility as the minister.

In fact, if serving ADF officers want to disagree with the minister, the only alternative is to resign. Now that seems to be hardly fair that a minister can take political pot shots but the ADF is not allowed to respond.

Cameron Stewart said:
The F-111 strike bomber, which will be retired next year, can't be deployed to a hot war zone because it has insufficient electronic warfare self-protection and is too easily detected by enemy radar. "The F-111 has the radar cross-section of a house and (it) would have great survivability issues in a modern threat environment," Cotterill says. "I don't think the Government would deploy one of those to a hot fighting war."

That conclusion has precedents. In the 1990s the F-111s were not able to deploy to Operation Desert Fox (against Iraq) because they lacked the required radar warning systems. Similarly, most of the air force's 71 F/A-18 Hornets can't be deployed against modern air defence systems because they have not yet been upgraded with a mature electronic warfare capability.

Defence says only 16 F/A-18s have received electronic warfare upgrades and even these have been given only an "interim electronic warfare capability", raising doubts about their deployability.

"Most ADF aircraft could not operate in an environment where there was a radar-based air defence because of electronic warfare self-protection issues," ASPI's Davies says.
And how old is the F-111 platform? Does a platform need to be upgraded in its life cycle? If you need to use it, upgrade it. If it was not upgraded, it was a decision of the minister too...

The availability and speed at which electronic warfare upgrades develop means that in the life cycle of the F-18 platform, it may need EW upgrades (which means the current minister should fix it, if upgrades are needed). Further, this lack of an EW upgrade does not make the F-18 any less capable against immediate regional air threats (and hence it's deterrence value), which are admittedly much lower.

Cameron Stewart said:
The army's ability to provide armoured personnel carriers for its troops in a war zone also has been undermined because of doubts about the deployability of one of its three types of armoured vehicles: the M113 armoured personnel carrier.

Defence has spent almost $500 million refurbishing the more than 400 of the Vietnam War-era M113s, only to find that they may be vulnerable to roadside bombs, rockets and mines used by insurgents in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"While the upgraded vehicles will protect occupants against small arms, anti-personnel mines, light anti-armour weapons, and shrapnel, the vehicle will remain vulnerable to 12.5mm or larger projectiles, medium to heavy anti-armour weapons, large improvised explosive devices and anti-armour mines," Davies says.

The same promise will be made by the Rudd Government in its forthcoming white paper. But the Government needs to focus more clearly on the reality of today, rather than the elusive armada of tomorrow.
Many forces around the world that are operating M113s are opting to upgrade them rather than remove the M113s from service. Australia is not unique in this respect and you have got to criticise the decision in context. The ADF also decided to purchase the ASLAV and other vehicles. The ASLV is suited for deployment in Afgahnistan, so it is used. There is nothing wrong with deciding to upgrade the M113s and deciding not to deploy them.

IIRC, the M113s were used in East Timor and most observers would agree that the deployment there was a success. Right? Not every piece of equipment in current ADF inventory is suitable for every operating environment. Therefore, when the criticisms are cast in this light, it is seen by me as not a fair or a balanced approach.

However, it is fair to point to the failure of the defence industry to complete the upgrades in timely manner and any other deficiencies in the upgrade plans.

So, my message is beware of false prophets with a machine gun style criticism. Please read everything in context.

Last edited:

ThePuss

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
OPSSG that was a very well thought out and articulated post and I agree with all your points.

Drawing from my own area of experience I disagree how the article clames that the ANZAC class is defenceless......32 ESSM cutting edge SAMs, An extremely accurate 5" Gun, 8 of the latest Harpoon SSM's, 16 state of the art Nuka decoys, Embarked S-70B, latest's generation light weight torpedo in the form of the MU-90, 2 x Mini Typhoon night-day remote operated 50'cal mounts, SRBOC.... and the list goes on but apparently we could only defend ourselves in a low threat environment.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
OPSSG that was a very well thought out and articulated post and I agree with all your points.
Many thanks for the compliments. As an external observer, I'm just giving my 2 cents, as I could not stand the unfair criticism directed at the ADF by The Australian.

I came to a moment of realization when interacting with another new DT forum participant. It was then I realised that the general public in Australia may not be well served by main stream press. Some lay people do not fully understand that many within mainstream press are more interested in increasing viewship/readership. There is also a short cycle focus on reporting of 'scandals'. Or what I would call fast food news. This is not conducive to fair and balanced reporting. I thought I should challenge such misguided attempts at unfair criticism.

Last edited:
A

Aussie Digger

About the Hornets,

It isn't correct anyway. 16x of them have received all the upgrades they are EVER going to get (except for JASSM integration, which is continuing, but the warshots haven't been delivered yet anyway, AFAIK). Their EW systems are as capable as the US Navy's frontline Hornet EW systems...

The remainder will be completed in less than 12 months.

The only capabilities they haven't yet got is JASSM and the ELTA wide-band jamming pod, which is not carried by EVERY fighter, but rather is a capability employed within a force package.

RAAF are capable of deploying a package of Hornets to whatever level of warfare the Government chooses to deploy to. Of course, one cannot expect a general media journalist to understand these things...

barra

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
About the Hornets,

It isn't correct anyway. 16x of them have received all the upgrades they are EVER going to get (except for JASSM integration, which is continuing, but the warshots haven't been delivered yet anyway, AFAIK). Their EW systems are as capable as the US Navy's frontline Hornet EW systems...

The remainder will be completed in less than 12 months.

The only capabilities they haven't yet got is JASSM and the ELTA wide-band jamming pod, which is not carried by EVERY fighter, but rather is a capability employed within a force package.

RAAF are capable of deploying a package of Hornets to whatever level of warfare the Government chooses to deploy to. Of course, one cannot expect a general media journalist to understand these things...
The 16 Hornets that received the interim upgrade had the EW boxes and new antennas fitted. As the system chosen, ALR-67 V3, was an upgraded version of the original EW suite it was easy to do. The full upgrade requires replacement of the cabling which involves considerable downtown for the aircraft (again).

The only problems with HUG has been the pace of the upgrade, perhaps we would have been better off doing the entire upgrade on each aircraft at the same time. Could Aus. industry have been able to cope with such a large upgrade?

Other valid criticisms not explored is a previous Defence Minister trying to force the BAE -2000 EW system on the Hornet fleet. This wasted 5 years as the system was clearly unsuitable for a fast jet. His interest only lay in the fact that the BAE EW workshop was in his electorate and meant more jobs. How this turns into the RAAFs fault for not having combat aircraft ready to deploy is beyond me. The quality of Aust defence journalism is patchy (not you Abe), as an example a recent article by Tom Muir in ADM, I think, points out that Wedgetail would make a great platform for Link 16, well blow me why didn't we think of that!!!!

Misguided Fool

Sorry if i'm being dense, but who the hell would Australia fight? Papua new Guinea? New Zealand?

I think it's better that they're investing for the future because from my point of view they have a chronic shortage of enemies, unless you consider China with their eyes on the Spratlys as a threat!

mickk

We have been fighting with outdated equipment since Federation. The quality of the people makes up for the constant generation behind equipment.

Indonesia is all we have to worry about in terms of credible threats. They still want PNG, they still want Australia.

What we need is a Coast Guard to actively protect our seas from poachers and pirates.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry if i'm being dense, but who the hell would Australia fight? Papua new Guinea? New Zealand?
There are multiple challenges, multiple countries of concern and a host of regional security concerns (the information I post below is already in DT).

Going back a few years earlier (to 1962–1966), remember a little something called the 'Konfrontasi', in which the ADF was deployed. What about the armed struggle against the Malayan communist party, in which, the ADF was also involved?

When East Timor declared itself independent from Portugal on 28 November 1975, Indonesia invaded East Timor. You are really misguided if you think that developments in Indonesia is not a concern for Australia. More recently, in 1999, the Australian led International Force for East Timor (INTERFET) prevented anti-independence Timorese militias from completing a punitive scorched-earth campaign. With timely Australian intervention, the anti-independence Timorese militias still killed approximately 1,400 Timorese and forcibly pushed 300,000 people into West Timor as refugees. The majority of the country's infrastructure was destroyed. Could you not say that Indonesia exported instability to East Timor? In fact, prior to the 1999 INTERFET intervention, the ADF conducted a simulated a peace enforcement exercise with UK, US, Canadian and NZ participation. This helped prepare the ADF to some extent for the intervention. In 1999, the Aussies, as lead country, augmented by US naval power, showed their impressive military capabilities. Because of the rapid deployment plan, the anti-independence Timorese militias were not able to effectively resist. In fact, the INTERFET naval deployment had to contend with 'aggressive' patrols by Indonesian submarines.

mickk said:
Indonesia is all we have to worry about in terms of credible threats. They still want PNG, they still want Australia.

What we need is a Coast Guard to actively protect our seas from poachers and pirates.
The security challenge presented by Indonesia is far greater than just the possibility of an invasion of Australian territory. Did you forget about the Bali bombings? As other forum participants have noted, the ADF has been involved in providing training in regional counter terrorism and anti-piracy efforts.

Further, being able to defend Australian territory alone is meaningless if the ADF cannot keep her vital SLOCs open. In this respect, Australia's leadership in keeping the FPDA relevant is exemplary. Just an increase in insurance rates will affect the price of goods imported into Australia. In fact, for a period, a spike in piracy in the Malacca Straits caused the Joint War Committee of Lloyds to designate the area a 'war risk' zone for marine insurance purposes. This designation was removed in 2006.

Did you also know that Malaysia and Indonesia continue to have outstanding territorial disputes in the Ambalat region? And that there was a minor incident at sea between the two navies? How do you think Australia's SLOCs would be affected if the dispute intensified into conflict?

I think it's better that they're investing for the future because from my point of view they have a chronic shortage of enemies, unless you consider China with their eyes on the Spratlys as a threat!
You are certainly misguided. Do you remember the 1979 Sino-Vietnam war (which theoretically lasted till 16 March 1979)? Keep in mind that China also views most of the South China Sea as its area of influence and is willing to engage in aggressive maneuvers whenever it suits China. In 1988, China's navy sank three Vietnamese ships in the Spratly Islands region. Need I go on? And I have not even brought in NE Asia security concerns into the equation.

Last edited:

Misguided Fool

There are multiple challenges, multiple countries of concern and a host of regional security concerns (the information I post below is already in DT).

Going back a few years earlier (to 1962–1966), remember a little something called the 'Konfrontasi', in which the ADF was deployed. What about the armed struggle against the Malayan communist party, in which, the ADF was also involved?

When East Timor declared itself independent from Portugal on 28 November 1975, Indonesia invaded East Timor. You are really misguided if you think that developments in Indonesia is not a concern for Australia. More recently, in 1999, the Australian led International Force for East Timor (INTERFET) prevented anti-independence Timorese militias from completing a punitive scorched-earth campaign. With timely Australian intervention, the anti-independence Timorese militias still killed approximately 1,400 Timorese and forcibly pushed 300,000 people into West Timor as refugees. The majority of the country's infrastructure was destroyed. Could you not say that Indonesia exported instability to East Timor? In fact, prior to the 1999 INTERFET intervention, the ADF conducted a simulated a peace enforcement exercise with UK, US, Canadian and NZ participation. This helped prepare the ADF to some extent for the intervention. In 1999, the Aussies, as lead country, augmented by US naval power, showed their impressive military capabilities. Because of the rapid deployment plan, the anti-independence Timorese militias were not able to effectively resist. In fact, the INTERFET naval deployment had to contend with 'aggressive' patrols by Indonesian submarines.

The security challenge presented by Indonesia is far greater than just the possibility of an invasion of Australian territory. Did you forget about the Bali bombings? As other forum participants have noted, the ADF has been involved in providing training in regional counter terrorism and anti-piracy efforts.

Further, being able to defend Australian territory alone is meaningless if the ADF cannot keep her vital SLOCs open. In this respect, Australia's leadership in keeping the FPDA relevant is exemplary. Just an increase in insurance rates will affect the price of goods imported into Australia. In fact, for a period, a spike in piracy in the Malacca Straits caused the Joint War Committee of Lloyds to designate the area a 'war risk' zone for marine insurance purposes. This designation was removed in 2006.

Did you also know that Malaysia and Indonesia continue to have outstanding territorial disputes in the Ambalat region? And that there was a minor incident at sea between the two navies? How do you think Australia's SLOCs would be affected if the dispute intensified into conflict?

You are certainly misguided. Do you remember the 1979 Sino-Vietnam war (which theoretically lasted till 16 March 1979)? Keep in mind that China also views most of the South China Sea as its area of influence and is willing to engage in aggressive maneuvers whenever it suits China. In 1988, China's navy sank three Vietnamese ships in the Spratly Islands region. Need I go on? And I have not even brought in NE Asia security concerns into the equation.
1) How was taking part in Malaysia like a full scale war?
2) The intervention in east Timor - how was that like fighting a full scale war?

I don't know about you, but the title "Australia is not ready for a war" to me sounds like a full scale war scenario, not a skirmish or a standoff or a minor internvention.

3) You mentioned the Bali bombings - that wasn't on Australian soil, and i don't believe i don't think in a full scale war, with censorship, propaganda and monitoring, terrorism would be much of an issue, especially on Australian soil.
4) There have been many minor conflicts ... how many have escalated into war?
5) I don't think Australia has the manpower to counter the Chinese "threat" in the region, and i think this lack of manpower can be partly nullified if the Australian forces in the future are very technologically advanced. China right now, compared to in the future, is a minor "threat", and i think that the Australian government's 'bias' is well founded.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know about you, but the title "Australia is not ready for a war" to me sounds like a full scale war scenario, not a skirmish or a standoff or a minor intervention.
Fair enough. You can take a restrictive view and limit it to traditional large scale warfare. Or you can take a more holistic view and see it from the angle of security challenges. However, a restrictive view certainly ignores the lessons of history and some 'non-traditional' wars vie in destructiveness with the greatest of conventional conflicts.

IMHO, if the balance of military power is unequal, the response will more likely be asymmetrical. When compared to most Southeast Asian countries, Australia is a true 'middle power' in military and economic terms. Hence, their actions will have an impact on actions of state and non-state actors in Southeast Asia. In fact, there are articles stating that Australia is positioning herself as a global partner to the US and not just a regional security partner.

1) How was taking part in Malaysia like a full scale war?
You can choose to see the fight against the Malayan Communist Party or the fight against the Indonesian infiltrators into Malaya as NOT WAR. But I think, it would be fair to call these military deployments at least a form of low intensity conflict (LIC). See FM100-20 on Military Operations in LIC for more details. For me, I would see LIC as a form of warfare and is part of the spectrum of capabilities of a capable armed forces. The ADF is well regarded for this reason.

In particular, the 'Konfrontasi', involved regular Indonesian soldiers who fought in that conflict. Well, I would see that as limited war but still war.:D

2) The intervention in East Timor - how was that like fighting a full scale war?
3) You mentioned the Bali bombings - that wasn't on Australian soil, and i don't believe i don't think in a full scale war, with censorship, propaganda and monitoring, terrorism would be much of an issue, especially on Australian soil.
4) There have been many minor conflicts ... how many have escalated into war?
I think, it would be accurate to say that Indonesia and Australia had the potential to go to war over East Timor. Strong US and Australian support ensured that elements of the TNI who were supportive of the anti-independence Timorese militias were retrained. If these rouge TNI elements were not restrained, war could have easily resulted. The ADF's level of preparedness, speed of deployment, amount of force deployed by the ADF (by using light armour) and the MEU stationed as a fighting reserve combined to ensure that the rouge TNI elements were surprised by the speed and scale of the deployments. This resulted in a restrained response. War was prevented by a show of actual force. And the campaign of terror against the East Timorese was ended. There is an interesting article on 'Australia’s East Timor Experience: Military Lessons and Security Dilemmas' by James Cotton.

So you are going to hold that against ADF for being prepared and not being drawn into an irregular war? :confused: Give the Australians a break, the ADF did very well and they have every right to be proud of their men in uniform. ;)

With regards to anti-terrorist activities after the Bali bombings, a number of Americans tend to label it as part of the War on Terror (WOT). Likewise, I'm not very comfortable with the WOT label but it requires a state response to a growing regional security issue. Australian citizens were being targeted and the ADF has a positive role to play in anti-terror training in Southeast Asia.

Please note that the conflicting EEZ claims by various states in the South China Sea does not remove the threat of piracy, in fact, conflicting claims created a lawless zone. Please read this article on 'Martime ambushes off the Mangkai passage' as a new source of security related problems.

5) I don't think Australia has the manpower to counter the Chinese "threat" in the region, and i think this lack of manpower can be partly nullified if the Australian forces in the future are very technologically advanced. China right now, compared to in the future, is a minor "threat", and i think that the Australian government's 'bias' is well founded.
China is the US's near peer competitor. It is not a problem to be solved by middle powers like Australia alone. The contributions and positions of the US and other US allies like S. Korea and Japan have to be taken into consideration. Let's just avoid this discussion, as I have no wish to further respond on this topic.

I'll let the Australian members of the forum take over this discussion, as I am only an external observer. I have no real interest in further defending the capabilities of the ADF other than to say that I am grateful for their capabilities.

Last edited:

Misguided Fool

I'll let the Australian members of the forum take over this discussion, as I am only an external observer. I have no real interest in further defending the capabilities of the ADF other than to say that I am grateful for their capabilities.
I don't doubt the capabilities of the ADF - infact, my point is that the ADF's current capabilities should not be a priority, because right now, Australia faces few security challenges. Thus what i mean is that the "bias" of the Austrian defense department planning for the future is well founded - i agree with their idea of not spending on current equipment but researching for the future, as Australia right now isn't exactly in a precarious position (as you mentioned the help of the US, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, India perhaps is always available) and has good relations with ASEAN as a whole, if i'm not mistaken?

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
I already pointed out LIC is war. LIC is always a challenge to any conventional military lacking in ability to respond to a broad spectrum of threats. And the potential for LIC type of conflicts in Southeast Asia is a security challenge for Australia.

Eg: Does India/Pakistan have a good LIC capabilities to deal with Muslim separatists/terrorists, even though they are both nuclear powers? The answer must be: NO! The Indian and Pakistani armies are more ready to fight each other conventionally than to deal with LIC in their respective countries. BTW, Pakistan does not need or want to fight India - they just have to support insurgents, which is a LIC type of security challenge. Think of how my description on LIC conflict preparedness apply to the challenges faced by Australia.

...right now, Australia faces few security challenges...
Without sufficient qualification - WRONG!

IMHO,the security challenges in the Asia Pacific are increasing (of which Australia is a part of).

... help of the US, Japan, New Zealand, South Korea, India...
Remember amongst countries, there are no permanent friendships, there are only permanent interests. South Korea and Japan are not natural allies (and are potential competitors) Because of bitter historical reasons, most Koreans are not fans of the Japanese. How does Australia's permanent interests factor in between Korea and Japan?

India was certainly unhappy with Pakistan over the Mumbai attacks. It is in US interests is not to allow both sides to go to war. Please identify the permanent common security interests of India with Australia (in relation to the rise of China), if you think they are going to be great allies.

I'm not willing to respond further, as you don't read enough. There is a complex interplay of national interests, some of which are competing. To think that these countries have a unity of interest - is WRONG!

...and has good relations with ASEAN as a whole, if i'm not mistaken?
Can you treat ASEAN as one unitary security interest block? Indonesia is often seen as the de facto leader of ASEAN. Is the interests of ASEAN a subset of Indonesian interest? Did I not mention that Australia could have gone to war with Indonesia over East Timor? Did the ADF, leading the INTERFET forces not score a win against the anti-independence Timorese militias? Read the links provided, don't assume!

There are also weak states in ASEAN who have a poor record in fighting and dealing with insurgents / terrorists / pirates. These are security challenges that will also affect Australia.

Which country in ASEAN does Australia have the closest cooperative military relationship with (under the FDPA umbrella)? Please read and think before responding. You don't seem to read my posts when responding to them, so I'm going to stop responding to your posts in this thread.

Last edited:

Misguided Fool

I already pointed out LIC is war. LIC is always a challenge to any conventional military lacking in ability to respond to a broad spectrum of threats. and the potential for LIC type of conflicts in Southeast Asia is a security challenge for Australia.

Eg: Does India/Pakistan have a good LIC capabilities to deal with Muslim separatists/terrorists, even though they are both nuclear powers? The answer must be: NO! The Indian and Pakistani armies are more ready to fight each other conventionally than to deal with LIC in their respective countries. BTW, Pakistan does not need or want to fight India - they just have to support insurgents, which is a LIC type of security challenge. Think of how my description on LIC conflict preparedness apply to the challenges faced by Australia.

Without sufficient qualification - WRONG!

IMHO,the security challenges in the Asia Pacific are increasing (of which Australia is a part of).

Remember amongst countries, there are no permanent friendships, there are only permanent interests. South Korea and Japan are not natural allies (and are potential competitors) Because of bitter historical reasons, most Koreans are not fans of the Japanese. How does Australia's permanent interests factor in between Korea and Japan?

India was certainly unhappy with Pakistan over the Mumbai attacks. It is in US interests is not to allow both sides to go to war. Please identify the permanent common security interests of India with Australia (in relation to the rise of China), if you think they are going to be great allies.

I'm no willing to respond further, as you don't read enough. There is a complex interplay of national interests, some of which are competing. To think that these countries have a unity of interest - is WRONG!

Can you treat ASEAN as one unitary security interest block? Indonesia is often seen as the de facto leader of ASEAN. Is the interests of ASEAN a subset of Indonesian interest? Did I not mention that Australia could have gone to war with Indonesia over East Timor? Did the ADF, leading the INTERFET forces not score a win against the anti-independence Timorese militias? Read the links provided, don't assume!

There are also weak states in ASEAN who have a poor record in fighting and dealing with insurgents / terrorists / pirates. These are security challenges that will also affect Australia.

Which country in ASEAN does Australia have the closest cooperative military relationship with (under the FDPA umbrella)? Please read and think before responding. You don't seem to read my posts when responding to them, so I'm going to stop responding to your posts in this thread.
Lol, you seem to do a bit of overassuming / putting words into my mouth that simply aren't there.

LIC problems are more of a natural threat with significant proportions of disaffected people in the country. India has a population of 13% muslims who are generally disaffected and not integrated, providing a strong breeding ground for terrorists.

Once again, Australia faces no major conventional threat, and that is what the original article is hinting at increasing (conventional spending). Australia WILL in the future face a more substantial conventional threat.

I don't think any regionalist alliance like ASEAN will be subsidiary to the interests of one state, especially if it isn't especially bigger / more powerful than them (eg, US dominated NATO where they were bigger/more powerful, Russia dominated the warsaw pact similarly).

You seem to mention numerous "security" challenges thare are not conventionally related. It's been proven (in vietnam, afghanistan) that no amount of conventional superiority in munitions, technology, etc will stop a determined guerrilla or non conventional fighting force. The main article was about boosting current conventional force spending, not increased spending on counter terrorism, that is more relevant to what "security" challenges that you are talking about :rolleyes:.

You seem to be focussing very heavily on the fact that Australia faces considerable "security" challenges, having completely twisted the fact that the original article is about conventional warfare and relevant armament.

I don't doubt that what you say about assymetric warfare in relation to Australia is correct. You've got a blue name so you probably know what you're talking about. My point is that i agree with Australia's defense spending going more NOW towards R&D than boosting current equipment, because Australia's need in the future will be much greater agains the "potential" threat of China.

I believe that in the future that the region will be dominated by two main players, India and China. It's been predicted that by 2050 India's economy will surpass China's, and China's will surpass the US by 2020-30. Can you seriously suggest that power politics regional one upmanship will not result in Australia being drawn into alliance with either India or China? And that's assuming that the two powers end up as antagonists, which historically has been the trend (although recently there has been a slight thawing of relations). There is also the fact that China's main maritime interests are it's island chain policy (string of pearls, first tier, second tier, third tier) and more importantly supply of key resources through the Straits of Malacca (although to an extent this will be less of the case when China gets their pipeline built through Burma).

Once again, i state that it is more important, in my view, that Australia focusses on tomorrow instead of today, because while current threats might be present (in the unconventional form if no other), in the future there is potential for a much more precarious situation. That's what the article, and in my view, this topic is about; not terrorism/insurgencies but conventional forces.

Also, you say that the security challenges are increasing. Well, if they're increasing now, what's to say that they won't have increased by much more in the future?

You mentioned East Timor, and i reply with the fact that the countries DIDN'T go to war over East Timor. It was like all the US and Soviet spending during the cold war. Totally pointless, considering the assymetric threats both countries actually face (the US in Afghanistan, Iraq, Russia in Chechnya). What's more important in my view is researching for the future when a chance of a conflict, or atleast that of one upmanship (eg, the Cuban Missile Crisis) is significant.

While i never said that the countries are united in their interests, are you seriously suggesting that in some doomsday scenario if China invaded South Korea, Japan and the US wouldn't intervene? And that India wouldn't at least issue embargoes? WHile i agree that the concept of a full out war in south east asia is surreal and hopefully unrealistic, that's what militaries are meant for; fighting wars against similarly equipped and trained forces, not insurgencies.

Thus, once again referring back to the original post, you seem to be arguing that Australia faces considerable security risks in form of assymetric players, while the original post is talking about conventional forces (submarines, aircraft). While i don't doubt that conventional superiority probably helps when combatting an insurgency, unless one side is willing to torch the land and destroy the forests, an insurgency can live on, and this doesn't even consider places like Afghanistan that are mostly mountain / desert anyway! And i'm arguing that increasing conventional force levels today isn't important, that planning for the future SHOULD be a priority, as threats on the whole range of spectrum are likely to increase, from asymmetric to conventional.

Just out of question, what is your point? :p

Jecito

Really quite pathetic that the blackhawks can't even be cleared to operate in Afghanistan. If they can't be deployed to a warzone what good are they? Does the MANPAD risk outweigh the risk of letting Australians die waiting for NATO medical evacuation. And why does Australia keep bludging off NATO/US. If Rudd is really serious about Afghanistan why not deploy the tigers, hornets, artillery etc. Australia spends $22 billion dollars on its military and is it alot better equipped and trained then most of the world, but the most it can supply is 1000 soldiers. And then blaming NATO for not doing more. Canada is supplying close to 3000, the Netherlands almost double Australia's commitment. Australia is on par with Romania in the amount of troops in the field. What an achievement to be proud of...

icelord

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Really quite pathetic that the blackhawks can't even be cleared to operate in Afghanistan. If they can't be deployed to a warzone what good are they? Does the MANPAD risk outweigh the risk of letting Australians die waiting for NATO medical evacuation. And why does Australia keep bludging off NATO/US. If Rudd is really serious about Afghanistan why not deploy the tigers, hornets, artillery etc. Australia spends $22 billion dollars on its military and is it alot better equipped and trained then most of the world, but the most it can supply is 1000 soldiers. And then blaming NATO for not doing more. Canada is supplying close to 3000, the Netherlands almost double Australia's commitment. Australia is on par with Romania in the amount of troops in the field. What an achievement to be proud of...
Too scared, too easy. The idea of a great strain on the ADF has been a common misconception for many years, hell we hear how a lone frigate in the gulf is a drain on our capability...its hogwash, we spend more time in Jervis Bay then on deployment, which we would rather anyway. As for the Army, the only strain is caused on deploying a force not designed as the central part of a combat scenario. Special Forces are not just in name. the combat force element is combined with a SF detachment, not an Element working for a lone company of commandos.
Infantry would be far more efficient and capable for Afghanistan then SF are, the infantry are better for rotation and use in diverse ranges, SF should be there to hit hard and fast when a operation requires it,not hearts and minds but skulls and bones.
When you use a elite unit you waste their valuable training on minor projects handled better by a infantry platoon or sapper unit. The reconstruction forces have shown they are better at relieving pressure on the deployment itself, and given the 4RAR more time to concentrate on the bigger picture.

The greatest problem is that dead soldiers mean dead votes for the other guy, it takes on party to speak against a large deployment, and 2-3 dead soldiers, for the govt. of any nature to quiver into a withdrawl, ala spain in Iraq, and any Euro country thats pulled back after a, what can be described in comparisson with US losses as tiny casualty number.The problem with a 24/7 govt. is that they rely on decisions within 24/7,and results in even less time.

Icelord
i truely havn't had a decent rant in a while...i'm back ppl:nutkick

yeah about that, head to the navy discussion, ull find enough info against the concept to realise its a silly and waistful idea, 2 small a country and 2 much already invested in a capable force of rotating trained personnel, and i want to head nth on patrollies once my current posting is up, a CG would'nt help that.:rolleyes:

IPA35

I actually thinking the Australians are doing a good job.
They are basically doing exactly what the dutch mitary SHOULD do if we had a more competent government...

A

Aussie Digger

What is the Coast Guard going to do, that the ADF, Australian Customs and State and Federal Fisheries departments, aren't doing right now?

Another bureaucracy for the sake of bureaucracy? That's what Labor wanted too, before they actually got into power and realised that simply creating a Coast Guard is an answer to NOTHING.

What IS the answer, is funding a credible maritime surveillance and response capability. A capable domestic and foreign Law Enforcement capability and a highly capable Domestic and Foreign intelligence capability.

Call it whatever you like, but THIS is what Australia requires to secure itself from non-warlike threats, but until Government is prepared to fund and resource these required capabilities properly, making blanket statements like, "What we need is a Coast Guard" is worse than useless, because it diverts attention away from the real ISSUES.

A

Aussie Digger

Really quite pathetic that the blackhawks can't even be cleared to operate in Afghanistan. If they can't be deployed to a warzone what good are they?
Perhaps that is why they are in the process of being replaced? Come 2014 they will all be retired...

How much money should be spent on them for 5 or less years of remaining service?

Does th
e MANPAD risk outweigh the risk of letting Australians die waiting for NATO medical evacuation. And why does Australia keep bludging off NATO/US.
The EW argument is a load of shite. It's the Government's unwillingness to increase the size and therefore cost of the deployment, that has meant the Blackhawks haven't been deployed. Y

There are argument about "hot and high" performance for our Blackhawks, when fitted with the necessary ballistic armour they would need (MANPADS aren't the threat, "trashfire" - small arms fire is) to go to Afghanistan and the subsequent flight time they would have, but Government COULD have upgraded the Blackhawk engines, to improve their performance. There are plenty of T700 upgrade options, all it would take would be for Defmin Fitzgibbon to stick his hand in the Government's pockets and pull out a few tens of million. They did exactly the SAME THING for the Chinooks in the space of about 3 months...

Here's a solution even. Tell ya what, KRudd, pay everyone due to be "given" $900.00 next week, $890.00 instead. That's only $10 per person less than what they are already getting. Who is going to complain about $10, less?

8.7 million persons are expected to get the $900.00 bonus, that's $87m that could be spent on upgrading the Blackhawk helo's engines, so we can give our poor diggers, who you LOVE being photographed with SO much, 2x Blackhawk helicopters, to provide 24/7 medivac support.

If you are worried about the "fallout", save the $87m to be spent on upgraded Blackhawk announcement to ANZAC day (25 April). NO-ONE in Australia, or anywhere in the world, most likely, will criticise the Government spending money on a project to help SAVE digger's lives on ANZAC day.

If Rudd is really serious about Afghanistan why not deploy the tigers, hornets, artillery etc. Australia spends $22 billion dollars on its military and is it alot better equipped and trained then most of the world, but the most it can supply is 1000 soldiers.
1. Tigers aren't operational yet. I expect they won't be available for deployment for at least 12 months, yet.

2. Hornets? Yep, no problem. There is no reason in the world, why a RAAF Hornet detachment couldn't be deployed to Afghanistan. They are more than capable enough, they would go a LONG way to placating our allies, who already grumble about our relative capability, but lack of Except cost. The importance of our deployment to Afghanistan is empirically measured against the cost, both financial and in potential casualties. Hence why we haven't deployed any real combat assets.

3. Artillery? We've gone the cheap way for that. We've deployed our own 81mm mortars and we have elements from 4th Field Regiment serving with a British artillery unit. Our regular (ie: non-"special") forces are not undertaking combat operations. All our regular army "contacts" (the ones we see video on from time to time) are basically self-defence in nature.

We are deployed in Oruzgan province in Afghanistan. The Dutch are providing overwatch for us and we have Dutch PZH-2000 155mm self propelled guns, operating in support of us. There is really no point in send our little pea-shooter 105's or 155's, when the Dutch are there already with SPG's...

If we are not sending line infantry to undertake combat operations, what do we need our own artillery for?

And then blaming NATO for not doing more. Canada is supplying close to 3000, the Netherlands almost double Australia's commitment. Australia is on par with Romania in the amount of troops in the field. What an achievement to be proud of...
Yep we are p*ss weak. All rhetoric and no real action. Our soldiers are actually gaining an undeserved reputation, thanks to the collective spinelessness of our Governments...

Is defeating terrorism important or not?

If it is, get a battalion group over there and take up the fight to the insurgents. If it's not, bring our boys back home and stop pretending we actually care...

Status
Not open for further replies.