Anybody here in the May Draft for General Entry Infantry, Aus Army ?

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
RM87 said:
Im just curious if anyone here is going into Basic Training in May this year in Aus.
IIRC there were a couple due to go in from last year.

AD might remember who they were though.

RM87

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool, Thanks mate.

Any ideas if they were going in as Riflemen ?

RM87

Sweet as mate, Where abouts you come from ?

Im out Parramatta way in Sydney

Simster

I'm from Melbourne, so I get a nice 7 hour coach trip up there!!

Are you doing any sort of training or preparation before you go?

RM87

Yeh mate, Im basically doing what they want you to achieve in the PFA 8 weeks prior to entry.

Im not on a strict schedule however most nights (minimum of 4 days a week) im running at least 1.5km in the morning and another 1.5 - 2km at night. I am doing the pushups and situps regulary however dont just try and max out your pushups or situps every time you do them. I swim when i can too as it works every muscle in your body.

What i did is to do your max of pushups and situps then calulate 50 -70% of your amount.

So when i do pushups or situps i do 50% of my max situps (running increases your stomach muscles alot) and i do 70% of my pushups, Plus weights 3 times a week.

Im not saying only do pushups or situps once a day, I do the 50-70% in the morning, lunch and night. Pretty much if you can get a set of them in then do them, But dont go nuts with it because then you might over train. It is important to have a rest day aswell

You also have to eat well, I have been eating a ton of vegies, fish etc. I used to be a carnivore lol, but dont cut out meat all together. I also eat lots of fruit, Bananas are a good source if your looking to buff up abit with strength.

It was hard at first changing my diet but i just bought heaps of fruit and if i felt like a snack and couldnt help it i ate an apple or something like that.

Some people may say this isnt the way to go but i have shed kilos and am alot stronger/ fitter than i was before. You will notice the change within 2 weeks.

They also have a program on the ADF Army site that they recommend.

Simster

Yeh thats basically what I'm doing.

Personally I didn't really take any notice of the ADF fitness guide, its mainly for people who have never really done exercise.

I run 2.5km one day, 5km the next and vice/versa. I try to do the the 2.5 in the best time possible, and I build up endurance with the longer runs.
I also go to the gym 3 times a week, you notice a massive improvement within a month. Push-ups and sits ups are done everyday, I aim to increase the amount by 5 weekly.
I go for a swim sometimes,usually every other week. Apart from that I try to do a bit of hill running.

Yeh you need the rest day, I usually take the Sunday off.

RM87

btw mate, How old are you ? Im just wondering.

Im 18, Joined a month after i turned 17 expecting a short process hahaha. Was not expecting such a long process but its worth it.

A

Aussie Digger

Simster said:
Yeh thats basically what I'm doing.

Personally I didn't really take any notice of the ADF fitness guide, its mainly for people who have never really done exercise.

I run 2.5km one day, 5km the next and vice/versa. I try to do the the 2.5 in the best time possible, and I build up endurance with the longer runs.
I also go to the gym 3 times a week, you notice a massive improvement within a month. Push-ups and sits ups are done everyday, I aim to increase the amount by 5 weekly.
I go for a swim sometimes,usually every other week. Apart from that I try to do a bit of hill running.

Yeh you need the rest day, I usually take the Sunday off.
That's the idea guys, cross train, but concentrate on running. Upper body strength is fine, but don't worry about weight lifting too much. It won't make any significant difference, even if you were joining artillery, heavy lifting is not one of your main jobs. Stamina and endurance is key. If you can run 5 k's already, throwing in a 7-8 kay run once a week until you can do that reasonably easy is a good idea....

Since leaving the ADF I haven't needed to maintain any required fitness levels, but can still run 2.4k's in less than 11 mins if necessary (the BFA standard when I was 20 in the Army) and 40 pushups and 70 situps is a piece of p*ss, even for an old (30) geezer like me...

Simster

Thanks Aussie Digger.

With the regard to the selection process its really bad, its already been a year since I first applied.

Dryotriorchis

Hey guys i was supposed to leave last year in September but due to a false positive blood test i had to wait a few more months, I enlist on June 5th, thats still a while a way but still I'm nearly there! I'm going in as Communications Operator ECN266 though i had my second preference as Medical Assistant, so i might get there and they could 'ask' me to do that instead.

For my training leading up to it i do a push-up and sit-up routine one day and then i do cardiac exercise on an Elliptical cross trainer machine, For the push-ups and sit ups, I do a set of 10 push-ups then 20 sit-ups, wait a minute and do it again. I do this at least four times. on the trainer i run for about 30 minutes. I'm not sure if I'm doing enough but when i did my PFA (the first time around) i passed easily enough and i didn't even brake a sweat doing the shuttle run. I want to/really should do some swimming training as well but i have yet to do anything substantial in that area. Also i only do this in 3 day stints so it goes Day 1: Push-ups/sit-ups Day 2: Running Day 3: Rest and then start up again. I do it this way so that my muscles have enough time to rest.
Oh btw h'm 19, i applied to join when i was 18.

A

Aussie Digger

Simster said:
Thanks Aussie Digger.

With the regard to the selection process its really bad, its already been a year since I first applied.
I've heard from quite a few people that they've had to wait longer than 12 months to actually start their training. Strange how the Army states it is finding it difficult to fill it's recruitment levels, then allows people to wait in limbo for longer than 12 months, before putting them on a recruit course, isn't it?

Is it any wonder that people get the sh*ts with defence and look elsewhere for employment when this happens?

Dryotriorchis

Aussie Digger said:
I've heard from quite a few people that they've had to wait longer than 12 months to actually start their training. Strange how the Army states it is finding it difficult to fill it's recruitment levels, then allows people to wait in limbo for longer than 12 months, before putting them on a recruit course, isn't it?

Is it any wonder that people get the sh*ts with defence and look elsewhere for employment when this happens?
Thats a bit how it is for me at the moment, if they asked me too i could leave right this very second, sure i have to do my PFA again, but i have passed that before and could easily do it then leave in the next 3 weeks or whatever it is they like to have you done it by. But for some reason i have to wait till June till enlistment, thats nearly 3 months till i get to do my PFA again so that it is within their time limit (which i don't have a problem with).

Antway i'm not sure if that made sense, just rambling i guess :p:D

RM87

Aussie Digger said:

To true mate, I know of 3 different people who ended their commitment to joining as it just took too long to actually get in there and begin the real stuff.

If they cut down the waiting time to a maximum of 6 months and bumped up their advertisements with stuff that the young fellas like myself want to do (maybe showed some insertions, war game footage etc) i personally believe that the enlistment levels would increase quite dramatically. However in regards to the ads i guess they are looking for a particular group of people.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.