Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Geo-strategic Issues
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Miramar_14_MV-22_1621a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_1726a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_0074a1.JPG

Miramar_14_FA-18C_0409a.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Ambitious modernization plan of the Bangladeshi Military

This is a discussion on Ambitious modernization plan of the Bangladeshi Military within the Geo-strategic Issues forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Apparently the Bangladeshi Army ordered 100 Type-96G MBTs.Ukrainian KMDB 6TD-2 6-cylinder diesel engines were bought for the tanks as a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.33 average.
Old March 20th, 2011   #31
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Apparently the Bangladeshi Army ordered 100 Type-96G MBTs.Ukrainian KMDB 6TD-2 6-cylinder diesel engines were bought for the tanks as a part of the their modernisation to fill our requirements. I don't know much about these engines, if any one does can they post a link please?

EDIT- sorry, a guy posted wrong information, no Type-96G orders from us as of yet, but Ukrainian engines are being bought for upgrading existing tanks.

Last edited by T.C.P da Devil; March 23rd, 2011 at 03:23 PM.
T.C.P da Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2011   #32
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
here are the following criteria for the new MBTs of the Bangladeshi army

a. 3rd generation
b. easy of maintain and secured source of spare parts
c. ease of conversion and training
d. future scope of locally producing parts/overhaul/low maintenance cost
e. bilateral and defense procurement relationship
f. the ultimate decision given by PM's Defense Adviser (off the record)

There have been some rumours(albeit some solid ones) that the MBT-2000 could be ordered and some 44 procured within a short time.
How ever with so many false reports about new MBTs for the BD army, I won't believe any until I see the new Tanks in Bangladesh in the Bangladeshi army colours.
Old April 24th, 2011   #33
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Aren't they getting Type-69Gs?
Feanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011   #34
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
Aren't they getting Type-69Gs?
I think you meant Type-96Gs. Yeah, so many rumours have been circulating on that but no confirmed order as of yet. Although I did confirm the fact that BA personnel went to China to train on and evaluate the Type-96G and sent back very good reports.

The race is still open (though only for Chinese 3rd gen tanks)
Old May 17th, 2011   #35
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C.P da Devil View Post
I think you meant Type-96Gs. Yeah, so many rumours have been circulating on that but no confirmed order as of yet. Although I did confirm the fact that BA personnel went to China to train on and evaluate the Type-96G and sent back very good reports.

The race is still open (though only for Chinese 3rd gen tanks)
What is the present purchasing status of T-96G tanks for bangladesh army?
eastwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011   #36
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwatch View Post
What is the present purchasing status of T-96G tanks for bangladesh army?
There are lots of rumours out there, but I won't post anything until I get something solid, as everything else is pretty much trash.
Old May 25th, 2011   #37
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
I heard that all the F-7MBs are to be upgraded to F-7BG grade, but will be equipped not with BVR, but with Laser Guided Bombs (LGB). Now,. LGBs are good only for a ground role. If new F-7BGs are also equipped with LGBs, then can it be assumed that there will be purchases of other multi-role or fighter planes? I have read in a Chinese blog that Bangladesh wants to buy j-10 fighters and is now negotiating with China. Is there any internal BAF information about this?
Old May 25th, 2011   #38
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Quote:
I heard that all the F-7MBs are to be upgraded to F-7BG grade, but will be equipped not with BVR, but with Laser Guided Bombs (LGB). Now,. LGBs are good only for a ground role. If new F-7BGs are also equipped with LGBs, then can it be assumed that there will be purchases of other multi-role or fighter planes? I have read in a Chinese blog that Bangladesh wants to buy j-10 fighters and is now negotiating with China. Is there any internal BAF information about this?
We already operate a sq of F-7BGs but these are new made and not upgrades of existing F-7MBs, the BAF is purchasing another sq of F-7BGs.
Yes the F-7s willl not be BVR capable but will use LGBs.

As for air craft procuremnt, BAF is very interested in the J-10B and this will not be available till 2015. The FC-1 is also being considered. There have been reports of the BAF going for another sq of MIG-29s, but nothing solid here as well. i do know how ever that the BAf really wants Flankers, the Su-27SKm and the Su-30MKKs are the BAF's top favourites and due to our reemerging military ties with Russia( and SK Hasina's love for Russian air craft) this could become a reality.

How ever funds are streched at the moment due to the huge costs of the planned integrated air defense system.

The FC-1 has a good shot here as it is Chinese air craft, but China's lack of interest in the platfform has raised doubts.
Old June 9th, 2011   #39
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
The Defece budge for FY-2011-2013t was released yesterday and it now stands at 7.3% of the national budget, which is 13000 million taka more. The budget is now over 1.7 billion USD.

Note that this si not the procurement bidget which is seperate, this is the just the budget for maintainance and salaries.
Old June 11th, 2011   #40
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
Quote:
The Defece budge for FY-2011-2013t was released yesterday and it now stands at 7.3% of the national budget, which is 13000 million taka more. The budget is now over 1.7 billion USD.

Note that this si not the procurement bidget which is seperate, this is the just the budget for maintainance and salaries.
Is a possible invasion by India considered a real threat in BD ?
Twinblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011   #41
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinblade View Post
Is a possible invasion by India considered a real threat in BD ?
The military considers this to be the biggest threat. the military's defence plan is centered around a possible Indian invasion, although in recent times Myanmer is also getting a lot of attention, but India remains the no.1 threat as defined by the military.
Old June 13th, 2011   #42
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
The military considers this to be the biggest threat. the military's defence plan is centered around a possible Indian invasion, although in recent times Myanmer is also getting a lot of attention, but India remains the no.1 threat as defined by the military.
You are correct about our defence threat perception that India is the biggest threat. But, instead of using this physical threat, India is using a psychological threat. Our bureaucrats and politicians perceive India as a threat because it is a well-armed giant.

So, when India pursues an issue with BD, our politicians and bureaucrats get nerveous and try hard not to displease India. It means that many of our policies get disoriented on the discussion table. A strong defensive military will rectify the situation.
Old June 13th, 2011   #43
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Quote:
You are correct about our defence threat perception that India is the biggest threat. But, instead of using this physical threat, India is using a psychological threat. Our bureaucrats and politicians perceive India as a threat because it is a well-armed giant.

So, when India pursues an issue with BD, our politicians and bureaucrats get nerveous and try hard not to displease India. It means that many of our policies get disoriented on the discussion table. A strong defensive military will rectify the situation.
The biggest thing Bangladesh is afraid of is becoming another Nepal or Bhutan who are basically almost vassal states of India, and I am sure that if we had not inherited a full fledged military and maintained it we would have gone the same way.

Luckily Today Chinese influence in Bangladesh out weighs the Indian influence even though the Awami League( Inidan puppets) are in power, China basically rules the roost here.

If India and Bangladesh's relation is ever to improve then India needs to take a look at her approach to foreign policy when dealing with neighbors.

The perspective of Bangladeshis toward India is going down hill fast, the border killings, transit without any transit fee are heating up the issue, long gone is the time when most Bangladeshis were ignorant and had no idea what was happening mto their country; thanks to cable, internet and high reaching journalism Bangladeshis are very much aware of what India is doing to our country and we are not liking it.
Old June 15th, 2011   #44
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
Quote:
The biggest thing Bangladesh is afraid of is becoming another Nepal or Bhutan who are basically almost vassal states of India, and I am sure that if we had not inherited a full fledged military and maintained it we would have gone the same way.

Luckily Today Chinese influence in Bangladesh out weighs the Indian influence even though the Awami League( Inidan puppets) are in power, China basically rules the roost here.

If India and Bangladesh's relation is ever to improve then India needs to take a look at her approach to foreign policy when dealing with neighbors.

The perspective of Bangladeshis toward India is going down hill fast, the border killings, transit without any transit fee are heating up the issue, long gone is the time when most Bangladeshis were ignorant and had no idea what was happening mto their country; thanks to cable, internet and high reaching journalism Bangladeshis are very much aware of what India is doing to our country and we are not liking it.
I know, shooting illegal immigrants is kinda the norm in BSF, and our neighbors don't like it one single bit, but except by a few nut jobs in India, Bangladesh is seen mostly as a friendly country, especially since the government there has curbed down on militant islamic groups and various separatist movements in north eastern India using Bangladesh as a retreat of sorts. Its mostly due to trigger happy activism of BSF and support of Bangla intelligence agencies that the militancy is north east gone down significantly, because neither the militants here like to cross over to Bangladesh to escape the police, and neither do they want risk biting a bullet trying to crossover from Bangladesh while smuggling arms.

Its really unfortunate if such cooperation is seen as being seen as being puppets. Nepal and Bhutan are completely different cases to Bangladesh. Nepal has been culturally always been south asian in nature and always had open borders with India. Millions of Nepalis work in India and vice versa, to the extant of Nepali officers training in India and Nepalis in Indian armed forces. So when landlocked between India and China, they are naturally very inclined towards India. Wrt to kingdom of Bhutan, post annexation of Tibet by China they have decided to chose the "lesser evil".

Regarding Indian relations with its neighbors, whenever there is trouble in a neighboring country, it has always blown back to India. For eg :- mujahideen from pakistan, maoist insurgency from nepal, and tamil tigers from sri lanka.

Other than Sri lanka, India has not "actively" meddled in any other countries affairs since 1971, and that one too proved to be one costly mistake. With Bangladesh, as i said, the porous border has been used to the full advantage by anti India elements, esp with our opportunistic politicians eagerly declaring illegal immigrants as legit citizens and helping them get ID's. Also since Myanmar also actively cracks down on any kind of armed groups on Indian borders, the easiest way to smuggle cheap Chinese knock off arms for militant groups purchased from the corrupt military Burmese junta, is to smuggle them along with drugs via the numerous rivers in the delta basin in Bangladesh. Therefore Bangladesh border is considered such a high risk one by Indian intelligence, because not only is it easy to infiltrate, but its also damn easy to get a legitimate identity. This is the reason for maintaining a massive intelligence presence in both Bangladesh and Nepal, primarily to stop anti India elements.

Btw any other meddling in Bangla affairs that we here in India are unaware of, other than the transit fee issue ?
Twinblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011   #45
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinblade View Post
I know, shooting illegal immigrants is kinda the norm in BSF, and our neighbors don't like it one single bit, but except by a few nut jobs in India, Bangladesh is seen mostly as a friendly country, especially since the government there has curbed down on militant islamic groups and various separatist movements in north eastern India using Bangladesh as a retreat of sorts. Its mostly due to trigger happy activism of BSF and support of Bangla intelligence agencies that the militancy is north east gone down significantly, because neither the militants here like to cross over to Bangladesh to escape the police, and neither do they want risk biting a bullet trying to crossover from Bangladesh while smuggling arms.

Its really unfortunate if such cooperation is seen as being seen as being puppets. Nepal and Bhutan are completely different cases to Bangladesh. Nepal has been culturally always been south asian in nature and always had open borders with India. Millions of Nepalis work in India and vice versa, to the extant of Nepali officers training in India and Nepalis in Indian armed forces. So when landlocked between India and China, they are naturally very inclined towards India. Wrt to kingdom of Bhutan, post annexation of Tibet by China they have decided to chose the "lesser evil".

Regarding Indian relations with its neighbors, whenever there is trouble in a neighboring country, it has always blown back to India. For eg :- mujahideen from pakistan, maoist insurgency from nepal, and tamil tigers from sri lanka.

Other than Sri lanka, India has not "actively" meddled in any other countries affairs since 1971, and that one too proved to be one costly mistake. With Bangladesh, as i said, the porous border has been used to the full advantage by anti India elements, esp with our opportunistic politicians eagerly declaring illegal immigrants as legit citizens and helping them get ID's. Also since Myanmar also actively cracks down on any kind of armed groups on Indian borders, the easiest way to smuggle cheap Chinese knock off arms for militant groups purchased from the corrupt military Burmese junta, is to smuggle them along with drugs via the numerous rivers in the delta basin in Bangladesh. Therefore Bangladesh border is considered such a high risk one by Indian intelligence, because not only is it easy to infiltrate, but its also damn easy to get a legitimate identity. This is the reason for maintaining a massive intelligence presence in both Bangladesh and Nepal, primarily to stop anti India elements.

Btw any other meddling in Bangla affairs that we here in India are unaware of, other than the transit fee issue ?
Before I start, I have to say this-I am not an anti-Indian, I have nothing against the Indian populace whatsoever and wish no harm or have any ill intention against the nation of India, I even know several Indians personally and know that they are a friendly good natured people mostly.

That being said, I must inform you that Indo- Bangladeshi relations have always been,,,uhh...the best word here would be tumultuous. To undertsand this you have to take a brief look at our history including pre-1971.

Back when we were Esst Pakistan we fought two wars against india, in both the wars East Pakistan had to take the brunt of the damage, because the West Pakistan spent all the money on fotifying themselves and leaving the East Pakistan with very weak defences and making us the targets of Indian attacks, and this coupled with West Pakistan propaganda amde Bengalis feel pretty anti Indian, the several years prior to 71 the Bangali perception of India greatly improved as we considered India an ally against Pakistan, how ever during the war of 71, the relation between the East Pakistani regiments and the Indian military weren't that great due to miscommunication and growing feeling that we were fighting our own war for freedom and India was fighting their own war against Pakistan, the fact that India grabbed most of the military equipment left behind by Pakistan post war did not help much either.

Also after the war, Indian troops refused to leave Bangladeshi soil, President Mujib had to personally send a message to Indiara Gandhi to remove troops from our soil, how ever India took huge swabs of land for compensation for removing their army.

The perceptions towards India were still postive until the assaination of SK. Mujib, from thenon Bangladesh's relation with India fell and the government exposed many Indian activities against Bangladesh, like India pushing the post 71 govt hard to dissolve the military, to gain Islands like Talpotee for Naval bases, seizing Bangladeshi land at the borders etc.

From then on Bangladesh's relation and the Bengali perception of india went south, and India's violation of water treaties by buliding dams worsened the situattion as these dams destroyed huge farmlands and many people's livelihood along with them.

How India expected and expects Bangladesh to buy all their products but puts restrictions on our products from entering their market.

The indian govt basically has the mentality that Bangladesh will just bow down to all their demands. Most indians know very little about the border troubles, but due you know that thanks to post 71 land grabbng and counter grabbing how many Indian Enclaves exist in Bangladesh, it is estimated that we support over 200000 Indians who live in these enclaves.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: