ADF wants 55+ year old recruits

pepsi

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19099800-29277,00.html

I'm curious as to peoples thoughts on this, while its mentioned (and obvious) that they wouldn't be front line infantrymen, i just have to wonder how many 55+ year olds would even want to join up, and out of that (possibly) small number, how many would pass the fitness test..

Surely there are more restrictions they could ease that would still allow younger people in, i for one would like to join, im 21, but im inelligible because of type 1 diabetes, which wouldn't stop me from doing any of the duties they'd allow these over 55's to do..

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
pepsi said:
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,19099800-29277,00.html

I'm curious as to peoples thoughts on this, while its mentioned (and obvious) that they wouldn't be front line infantrymen, i just have to wonder how many 55+ year olds would even want to join up, and out of that (possibly) small number, how many would pass the fitness test..

Surely there are more restrictions they could ease that would still allow younger people in, i for one would like to join, im 21, but im inelligible because of type 1 diabetes, which wouldn't stop me from doing any of the duties they'd allow these over 55's to do..
I imagine that there would be a few potential Warrant Officers to look at...

Snayke

I don't see anything out of the ordinary with this. Actually, it'd be quite better to shuffle around the young for the more intense duties while the older get the management, logistics, etc jobs where they would only need to organise things. And I'd like to see some change in the waiting times after you've been accepted into the military. :p

Big-E

Banned Member
Wow you Aussies must be hard up for manpower. I know when I'm 55 I'll be pulling a fat pension living on the Gold Coast chugging my Victoria Bitter. If they reinstated my commision I'd tell them to go to hell and let the women do it.

Snayke

Well joining the military ain't exactly a desirable thing in Australia. Plus our population restrictions and unsuccessful recruitment campaigns. They've been talking about getting soldiers from other nations. I think it was either Fiji or the Solomons that was mentioned. I think Fiji. But hey, this serves me fine. If there is little supply of people to recruit, that means more money will be spent to keep me in the army when I join. ;)

EnigmaNZ

I would imagine Pepsi, that these 55+ would have private sector experience in management and logistics etc that can be transfered over to the ADF. Many 55+ are still fit and active and would probably do a good job, freeing up the younger for more active duty. If you have flown a desk for a number of years, and are looking for something a little more challenging, have your retirement looked after, then this could suit the more adventurous types.

Perhaps you can get private sector training in an area that the ADF is short of manpower, and not front line, chef, nursing, accountancy, law, and so on then retry, get some people that can speak for you, your local MP, employer etc.

Good luck.

RubOneOut

It's well and good to talk about it (like letting in former drug users), but when will it be made official?

Last edited:
A

Aussie Digger

RubOneOut said:
It's well and good to talk about it (like letting in drug users), but when will it be made official?
I seriously doubt current drug users will be allowed into ADF. Rather persons with previous convictions for drug offences will be. Anybody who is detected with trace elements of Cannabis in their urine may too.

"Hard drug" users, I doubt will be allowed to.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
this is a very interesting topic. there are probably thousands of australians in their 50,s with military experience,who are now looking back at their careers with a lot more life expearience. i think the idea has a lot of merit. as for drug use,...well i am now working in an area where random drug tests are common. young blokes who work in mines and other remote locations commonly work 2 weeks on one week off rosters.quite a few were pot smokers who,now have given up grass cause traces can be detected in urine tests for up to 6 weeks after a smoke. problem is now on their week off, they commonly turn to speed, meth,ecstasy and other chemical drugs that pass out of their systems much more quickly.result,workers coming back to work after a week long party with no sleep! imagine a soldier doing a live fire attack after a 30km forced march,who hasnt sleept for a week! or a tanking do 60kmph in an abrams....?drug use is a real worry in all areas, and i dont think random tests are the answer. maybe 100% of work place tests,every week would be effective.

RubOneOut

Aussie Digger said:
I seriously doubt current drug users will be allowed into ADF. Rather persons with previous convictions for drug offences will be. Anybody who is detected with trace elements of Cannabis in their urine may too.

"Hard drug" users, I doubt will be allowed to.
Can we leave it at Defence is reviewing whether or not these people who've come into contact w/ drugs should be admitted?
On topic, I believe recruiting +50s is a good idea. I'm sure their experiences in life and their respective fields (logistics, nursing, languages, tradies etc.) could benefit the ADF in plenty of ways like giving the younger people mentors, freeing young people up for more intense duties. Defence however, must consider what medical standard to hold the +50s to.