What would you name this piece of equipment?

SoCalSooner

This is purely fictional piece of equipment. I was in the Navy, not the Army, so I a guessing at what the name may be.

The fictional piece of equipment would be used by a forward observer/special forces/sniper, etc to determine the GPS location of a target and transmit this info to a aircraft overhead or to a UAV. The time need to spot the target would be less than 5 seconds.

It combines a surveyors laser range finder (theodolite) , a receiver/transmitter, a GPS receiver, couple of computers and a compass. It would be light enough for one person to carry and use in a single piece.

I was thinking about calling it AN/GSQ-XX, Detector, Target, Range Finder.

If there was such a thiing, what do you think it would be called?

Merlöwe

You can go mythological and call it Odin, since he had a chair that allowed him to see into all seven worlds.

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Use a simple abbreviation. "TPS" (targeting/positioning system) for example?

There's e.g. a system used in the German Army called "TGZ-90", short for "Tragbares Zielortungssystem", Portable Target Finding System. Then again the Bundeswehr abbreviates anything... (but that goes for pretty much any military...)

SoCalSooner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was thinking about the Army/Navy AN/XXX names.

I worked in Naval Aviation and every thing there was AN/AXX, so I thought in the Army it might be called AN/GXX.

There must be someone out there that has some idea.

SoCalSooner

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I found out that this would not work. It would be possible to determine the GPS location of the target and transmit the info to a plane.

The catch is the GPS signals can be jammed.