What kind of knife is this?

CheeZe

In 2006, I inherited, among other things, from my late grandfather this knife. I have no idea what kind of knife it is or to which armed forces it belonged. He lived in Malaysia but used to live in Singapore before that. I have no idea if its British, Imperial Japanese (he had other souvenirs from the surrender scattered about the house), Malaysian or Singaporean in origin. Any help identifying it would be much appreciated. The mystery of it has been annoying me for the last six years.

Also, any ideas on how to get all that rust off the blade would be appreciated.

webmaster

Troll Hunter
Staff member
In 2006, I inherited, among other things, from my late grandfather this knife. I have no idea what kind of knife it is or to which armed forces it belonged. He lived in Malaysia but used to live in Singapore before that. I have no idea if its British, Imperial Japanese (he had other souvenirs from the surrender scattered about the house), Malaysian or Singaporean in origin. Any help identifying it would be much appreciated. The mystery of it has been annoying me for the last six years.

Also, any ideas on how to get all that rust off the blade would be appreciated.
It looks like a bayonet of a rifle, could be AK-47. An AK-47 I have has one which looks similar to that.

As far as rust is concerned, you may want to consult a professional or maybe someone here can share their experience?

My2Cents

It looks like a bayonet of a rifle, could be AK-47. An AK-47 I have has one which looks similar to that.

As far as rust is concerned, you may want to consult a professional or maybe someone here can share their experience?
I don't think it can be a bayonet, there is no apparent mechanism for anchoring it to the rifle. The guard is solid, no attachment points there, and the flared shape of the butt is all wrong.

This might be some kind of a ‘fighting knife’. The shape of the butt is unusual and looks like it would be used for a blunt strike.

CheeZe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, there's nothing for it to attach to a weapon. Just a solid guard. The grip and the pommel are really solid and hard. My Dad, who served in the SAF in the 80s, doesn't recognize so it might not be from the SAF.

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Remove the rust only if you plan to use this knife as a real tool again. E.g. if you want to have it as your hunting/fishing/camping knife or something like that. If not, then there is no reason to remove the rust. Just apply oil (e.g. Tea seed oil) so that it doesn't rust any further and leave it like that. Removing the rust would actually decrease its value as a collector's piece.

My2Cents

It occurs to me that this could be what I father called a “fisherman’s knife”. The knob end is used to stun the fish before removing the hook.

sgtgunn

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
It occurs to me that this could be what I father called a “fisherman’s knife”. The knob end is used to stun the fish before removing the hook.
I don't think so - it has a prominent fuller (often incorrectly known as a "blood groove") along one side. This is used to lighten and stiffen longer bladeawithout compromising its structure and, is usually found on fighting blades or bayonets.

Most fishing knives have very thin, tapered blades for boning and filetting.

I'm not a knife expert, but it looks like a fighting knife to me (drop point, long straight blade, enlarged pommel for balance or striking, etc.) Does the cutting edge extend past the point along the first ~1/4 of the top of the blade? That would be another possible indication it's a combat knife.

Adrian

Corio

It most definitely is not a bayonet, even more an ak one. Aside the lack of any attaching means the blade is defo not that of an ak bayonet of any making. It does though look like a fighting knife but the model is pretty generic to call without other details (markings, fittings, material etc.) as the lines can be found in both russian and western fighting knives. Regarding removing the rust, it depends on how affected the blade is, if rust has cut deep into the blade or has formed deep pockets, removing all the rust would damage it.

CheeZe

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re: Markings and fittings - what you see is what I can see. I don't see anything else on it that could indicate its origin.