Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Army & Security Forces
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

Miramar_14_MV-22_1965a.JPG

Miramar_14_MV-22_0358a.JPG

Miramar_14_GR4_1646a.JPG

Miramar_14_LF_0221a.JPG
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

What Assault Rifle - British Army Should Replace SA-80 A2 With?

This is a discussion on What Assault Rifle - British Army Should Replace SA-80 A2 With? within the Army & Security Forces forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Magpul Masada, HK G41, MKE Mehmetcik 1, But yeah Stery Aug maybe was the way to go at the time ...

View Poll Results: Replace the SA80 with?
M16 series(also covers HK416, etc) 7 16.67%
AK series(also covers Galil, etc) 2 4.76%
FN SCAR 8 19.05%
FAMAS 0 0%
FX05/G36 8 19.05%
Steyr AUG 4 9.52%
Somthing else 13 30.95%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old February 27th, 2008   #16
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
Threads:
Magpul Masada, HK G41, MKE Mehmetcik 1, But yeah Stery Aug maybe was the way to go at the time maybe still the best choice.
Atilla [TR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008   #17
Banned Member
Lieutenant
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla [TR] View Post
Magpul Masada, HK G41, MKE Mehmetcik 1, But yeah Stery Aug maybe was the way to go at the time maybe still the best choice.
Tell us more Atilla - we'll want license production (we still own HK so don't worry about that thing) sell the to Masada or Mehmetcik to me. The constant-combat British Army needs a new rifle - why should we buy?
Izzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008   #18
Defense Enthusiast
Chief Warrant Officer
Threads:
Yeah, I voted too soon, I voted for the Scar and then hoped onto the steyr website, not only does the A3 look awesome check out the roles it can fill. You have to love a weapon that looks like its from 50 years in the future, love those sexy curves. The sniper variant is very interesting especially if one was to adopt a designated marksman or want to be able to pick someone off and then shoot full auto at another target.
lobbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008   #19
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy1 View Post
Tell us more Atilla - we'll want license production (we still own HK so don't worry about that thing) sell the to Masada or Mehmetcik to me. The constant-combat British Army needs a new rifle - why should we buy?

Actually HK is not owned by BAE anymore. I do not remember where but it was sold to a GErman holding company. Mehmetcik 1 is not identical to the HK 416. But it has a piece of all M4's from the Canadian designed scope.It uses a different kind off metal (inter alia) that HK does not use, of course this one is much superior and much better in the cold or the heat which is needed for Turkeys wide range of temperatures and the brits could use it in Iraq, and it does not expand as quickly as other metals, and much more resistant to the elements (i.e snow, dirt, tiny pebbles of rocks, sand). If you want more info on the Mehmetcik 1 you can go on to a forum I created, New rifle for the Turkish armed forces link:New rifle for Turkish Forces?. The Masada is a work of art! It is made by Magpul corporation in the U.S and it does everything that the American armed forces wants. Every single part of it has been made for combat from the ground up, it is very light and has a free floating barrel and the and it can be converted to any major combat rifle ammo in seconds with such and easy way to change the barrel. It can be taken apart in no time at all and is very easy to clean. The piston pressure can be changed for the amount of recoil you want.
Old February 28th, 2008   #20
Defense Professional / Analyst
Lieutenant General
Threads:
The "German holding company" consists primarily of two chief engineers of HK and a detergent producer.
kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008   #21
Defense Enthusiast
Master Sergeant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kato View Post
The "German holding company" consists primarily of two chief engineers of HK and a detergent producer.
Sorry I just heard German Holding company.
Old April 9th, 2010   #22
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
What Assault Rifle - British Army Should Replace SA-80 A2 With?

What if SA80-A2 Out of Service, what you all should go replace it with?

SA80-A2; Good Assault Rifle, still heavy and cumbersome weapon (still best accuracy and reliabilty as i been told)

i think british should go for -

any fold stock with Pitanccy Rail Top (Can Put ACOG Sight) and AG36 At Current Service - G36 K or C will save money (due as they already use AG36) and can fold stock in APC or IFV Type (warrior) any suggest?

For RM Commando They Should Go For Bullpup easy for reload in sea so they cant get wet when reload adove waist level. maybe SAR-21 RIS or TAR-21, AUG A3, FN2000 all ideal bullpup rifle.

or design new weapon?
King_Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010   #23
Brigadier General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Typhoon View Post

SA80-A2; Good Assault Rifle, still heavy and cumbersome weapon (still best accuracy and reliabilty as i been told)

any fold stock with Pitanccy Rail Top (Can Put ACOG Sight) and AG36 At Current Service - G36 K or C will save money (due as they already use AG36) and can fold stock in APC or IFV Type (warrior) any suggest?

For RM Commando They Should Go For Bullpup easy for reload in sea so they cant get wet when reload adove waist level. maybe SAR-21 RIS or TAR-21, AUG A3, FN2000 all ideal bullpup rifle.

or design new weapon?
For starters the British Army and Royal Marines would both get the same rifle. Secondly, I don't see what benefit ANY of these design have over the currently in service L85A2.
StevoJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010   #24
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Typhoon View Post

or design new weapon?
Interesting....

The thing if this new weapon is to come, it will for sure be "West" like a new "M" version riffle

I thing it could be a AUG riffle

-Me
Spetsznaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010   #25
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:
It'll be an ambidextrous bullpup with all controls near the trigger, most likely something like a full sized Magpul PDR.
MrQuintus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010   #26
Banned Member
Colonel
No Avatar
Threads:
Related topic reference recently introduced AI long range sniper rifle.

New sniper record set by Corporal of Horse Craig Harrison of the UK's Household Cavalry using a L115A3 8.59mm long-range rifle. The two targets slain were measured by a GPS system at 8,120ft, or (1.54 miles). The previous record for a sniper kill is 7,972ft, set by a Canadian Corporal Rob Furlong, of Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry in 2002, who used a 12.7mm McMillan TAC-50 rifle.

According to the report, near perfect conditions.

IA will be rubbing their hands at the prospect of future sales, after all carrying a 8.59mm magnum rifle all day instead of a 12.7mm must be a walk in the park by comparison.

Hotshot sniper in one-and-a-half mile double kill - Times Online

AI's portfolio of weapons continues to expand, they have now moved in to the semi-auto market catering to armies in A-Stan who have begun issuing heavy barrelled 7.62mm semi-auto's at section level. No reason why they shouldn't look at exploiting their extensive expertise and come up with a next generation UK spec infantry rifle similar to the SCAR with quick-change barrels/working parts to allow for role/environment calibre changes.

Last edited by riksavage; May 3rd, 2010 at 01:28 AM.
riksavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010   #27
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
The L85's weight is one of the things that makes it so accurate isn't it?

I think based on events on the ground and troop feedback, any new weapon would need calibre looking at, or introduction of something like SCAR that might make it easier for units to carry multiple calibres without a massive supply chain. The idea that the whole squad can carry a 5.56 is simply wrong based on combat experience, so either a larger calibre needs adopting for all weapons, or a mixture introduced.

I'd hope they stick with a bullpup for all its obvious advantages, and MrQuintus, does it really need to be fully ambidextrous, they seem to manage alright now.
Grim901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010   #28
Private First Class
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim901 View Post
The L85's weight is one of the things that makes it so accurate isn't it?

I think based on events on the ground and troop feedback, any new weapon would need calibre looking at, or introduction of something like SCAR that might make it easier for units to carry multiple calibres without a massive supply chain. The idea that the whole squad can carry a 5.56 is simply wrong based on combat experience, so either a larger calibre needs adopting for all weapons, or a mixture introduced.

I'd hope they stick with a bullpup for all its obvious advantages, and MrQuintus, does it really need to be fully ambidextrous, they seem to manage alright now.
It's pretty easy to include ambi controls for use when doing weak side transitions, as for ejection, I think the move towards forwards ejection will make this a moot point.
MrQuintus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2010   #29
Private
Threads:
German Assult Rifle G3A3 (uses bullet similar to AK-47 but is far more better than AK in accuracy)
Saif1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010   #30
Defense Enthusiast
Lieutenant
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif1 View Post
German Assult Rifle G3A3 (uses bullet similar to AK-47 but is far more better than AK in accuracy)
Are you joking? The G3 is a dated design and surely no candidate to replace any modern rifle. It is being replaced in Germany with the much lighter, far more ergonomic and easy to shoot G36. Having shot both of them I'd say luckily so.
And the bullet is not similar to the soviet 7.62x39, NATO 7,62x51 is a much more powerful, heavier (almost rifle) cartridge.
Falstaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: