Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Army & Security Forces
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

LMV-6.jpg

LMV-4.jpg

LMV-3.jpg

LMV-2.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

A 'Uzigrip' assault rifle in 5 mm/35 SMc: Possible?

This is a discussion on A 'Uzigrip' assault rifle in 5 mm/35 SMc: Possible? within the Army & Security Forces forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; After hearing all these 'arguments' about should we have Bullpups or Conventional 'FrontMag's, I came up with an idea to ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old May 9th, 2008   #1
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
Threads:
A 'Uzigrip' assault rifle in 5mm/35 SMc: Possible?

After hearing all these 'arguments' about should we have Bullpups or Conventional 'FrontMag's, I came up with an idea to bring out a 'Uzigrip' rifle like the Interdynamics MKS/TKB-022/Berreta Cx4/MAG-7 becouse this could make the debate even, But in a round with the 7.62NATO as the parent cartridge but 'shortened' to 40mm/below and 'necked down' to 5.56 to retain the same ballistics as the existing 5.56x45 round.

This type of round will sort out the ergonomic problems of the Interdynamics MKS. The pistol grip/mag insert will be close to that of a Desert Eagle pistol and will also be very quick to reload during a crossfire.

The closest calibre i found to what i described is the 5 mm/35 SMc or the slightly smaller .17/23 SMc. Can these round be ideal for military purposes?

Last edited by Cutaway; May 9th, 2008 at 04:27 PM.
Cutaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008   #2
Defense Enthusiast
Sergeant
No Avatar
Threads:
That falls into the cathegory of personal defence weapon PDW, i like the mp7
Dr Freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008   #3
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
Threads:
I don't see it replacing the 7.62 or 5.56 for Assault rifles.
Maybe for SMGs, etc.
IrishHitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008   #4
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutaway View Post
The closest calibre i found to what i described is the 5 mm/35 SMc

The issue is always mission requirements - eg stopping power. so can 5mm stop as well as a 45cal etc....

Quote:
or the slightly smaller .17/23 SMc. Can these round be ideal for military purposes?
.177's have been used as target and sniper weapons. the pref for sniper weapons again though, is stopping power (soft) or mobility kill/dislocation (hard, anti-materiele etc...)

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/
gf0012-aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008   #5
Defense Enthusiast
Corporal
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:

This type of round will sort out the ergonomic problems of the Interdynamics MKS. The pistol grip/mag insert will be close to that of a Desert Eagle pistol .......
Others may differ, but I find the DE.44 grip to be longer - front to back - than is comfortable, and I have larger than average hands. Might present a problem for any service drawing personnel from the average population.

Regards.......... Peter
Cooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009   #6
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf0012-aust View Post
The issue is always mission requirements - eg stopping power. so can 5mm stop as well as a 45cal etc....
the 5mm has 1,564 ft/lb of kinetic energy at 4,250 ft/s
the .45 ACP has 518 ft/lb of kinetic energy at 1,080 ft/s
the 9mm NATO has 519 ft/lb of kinetic energy at 1,430 ft/s

the 5mm hits with just over 3 times as much kinetic energy at just under 4 times the speed. you tell me which one you think hits harder.

the design of the 5mm enables it to fly farther and retain its kinetic energy for longer distances as well as allowing the capability to penetrate body armor.

even the 9mm "NATO" (an overpressure version of the parabellum), standard in NATO 9mm rounds hits harder than the .45 ACP and flies almost 1 and a half times as fast.

Admin. Excessive use of icons is to be avoided on here. It is also good form to quote multiple/single sources when quoting material.

You do appear to have missed the point that my comments were also rhetorical and not literal - hence the hanging sentence

Last edited by gf0012-aust; June 10th, 2009 at 11:48 PM.
modularassaultc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009   #7
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Now you're getting into the territory of the Swedish CBJ-MS, categorized as a PDW but with ballistics approaching that of an assault rifle round.

-----JT-----
Vajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009   #8
Defense Professional / Analyst
General
Threads:
I think what Cutaway's argument is can the 5.56x45mm NATO round be 'repackaged' in a casing with the same bullet and the same level of propellant (for the same muzzle velocity) so as to be a short in overall length cartridge to fit into a pistol grip magazine like the Uzi (this configuration originated in the Czech Sa.23 designed by Vaclav Holek).

Overall length of the cartridge would have to be under 35mm without oversizing the grip making the weapon unpractical. The best way of doing this would be by a cased telescoped ammunition (CTA) round. CTA rounds allow for high width to length rations and thanks to the cylinder shape do not need a taper for reliable feeding (a problem with squat rounds).

Such a 5.56mm CTA round would have a diameter of 12mm and a length of 35mm to provide enough volume for the bullet and propellant of a conventional 5.56x45mm round. Rounds would be angled in the magazine like in 7.62x25mm and 4.6x30mm magazines. Using CTA ammunition the casing could have angled edges to allow for improved feed in an angled round magazine. You could fit around 25 5.56x35mm CTA rounds in the same length of magazine as a 32 round 7.62x25mm magazine.
Abraham Gubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009   #9
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Gubler View Post
I think what Cutaway's argument is can the 5.56x45mm NATO round be 'repackaged' in a casing with the same bullet and the same level of propellant (for the same muzzle velocity) so as to be a short in overall length cartridge to fit into a pistol grip magazine like the Uzi (this configuration originated in the Czech Sa.23 designed by Vaclav Holek).

Overall length of the cartridge would have to be under 35mm without oversizing the grip making the weapon unpractical. The best way of doing this would be by a cased telescoped ammunition (CTA) round. CTA rounds allow for high width to length rations and thanks to the cylinder shape do not need a taper for reliable feeding (a problem with squat rounds).

Such a 5.56mm CTA round would have a diameter of 12mm and a length of 35mm to provide enough volume for the bullet and propellant of a conventional 5.56x45mm round. Rounds would be angled in the magazine like in 7.62x25mm and 4.6x30mm magazines. Using CTA ammunition the casing could have angled edges to allow for improved feed in an angled round magazine. You could fit around 25 5.56x35mm CTA rounds in the same length of magazine as a 32 round 7.62x25mm magazine.
Well AAI's LSAT Advanced Combat Rifle will use either CTA or caseless ammo so you never know what the final layout of the weapon will be.

-----JT-----

Last edited by Vajt; June 10th, 2009 at 05:01 PM.
Vajt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009   #10
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by modularassaultc View Post

Admin.

You do appear to have missed the point that my comments were also rhetorical and not literal - hence the hanging sentence
If your comments were rhetorical give me some way of knowing that. It looked like you were making a statement which I was contradicting.

Last edited by modularassaultc; June 11th, 2009 at 08:45 AM.
modularassaultc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: