US role as top Turkish arms supplier jeopardized by diplomatic, technical issues

Soner1980

I read this from the website of the Turkish Secretariat of Defense industries. Here is one reason why Turkey can not buy weapons and why Turkey want to prouce at least under license with asking more than only the product.

US role as top Turkish arms supplier jeopardized by diplomatic, technical issues

SELCAN HACAOĞLU
http://www.turkishdailynews.com.tr/admimg/blackdot.gif
ANKARA - The Associated Press

For the first time ever, there are no U.S. bidders for a major Turkish arms contract, signaling serious snags in one of the world's closest military-commercial partnerships.
For more than 50 years, the United States and U.S. firms have been the main arms suppliers to Turkey, a lynchpin of NATO's southern flank during the Cold War. Turkey, in a rough neighborhood that includes Iran, Iraq, Syria as well as traditional rival Greece, has also been eager to snatch up weapons to supply its large army, which is also dealing with a domestic Kurdish insurgency.
At the heart of the problems today are both diplomatic and technical issues rooted in Turkey's ambition to gain control over its military technology.
Turkey is going through a low point in defense relations with Washington following its refusal to host U.S. troops for the invasion of Iraq in 2003. It has actively sought out other potential arms suppliers, making Turkey's business less attractive for U.S. companies.
If they last, the frictions threaten to make U.S arms companies reluctant to support Turkish lobbying efforts in Washington, analysts and defense sources say.
Next week, firms from South Africa, Russia, France and Italy are competing for a $2 billion tender to deliver attack helicopters to Turkey. U.S. makers Bell Helicopter Textron, Boeing Co. and Sikorsky Aircraft Corp. did not even offer proposals after evaluating tough tender conditions.
The new bidding rules included full access to the aircraft's specific software codes -- which the United States considers a security risk -- and a written guarantee from the provider's government that there will be no political obstacles to the export of the arms. However, the U.S. government can only seek the consent of Congress for a deal after the sale is finalized.
It was not clear whether Turks would be satisfied with an initial letter from the government assuring them there would be no political problems.
"As far as Boeing is concerned, some of the conditions in the tender are such that we simply could not agree to (them), and that we felt would make the program, from a Boeing perspective, very difficult," Greg Pepin, vice president of Boeing-Turkey, said in an interview.
Pepin explained that sharing the software was problematic because it was partly owned by other U.S. suppliers as well as the U.S. government, and the other owners would likely balk at sharing the technology even if Boeing were willing.
"We can't guarantee that the U.S. government will transfer that technology, we can talk about the technology that we own but we can't agree to and sign up to assuring that these other owners of technology would do the same," Pepin said. "That was an issue we had; we simply cannot guarantee that."
Turkey imposed new bidding rules last year after it canceled a previous tender in 2004 when a deal with Bell Helicopter Textron for their "King Cobra," a Turkish version of the AH-1Z Super Cobra used by U.S. Marines, collapsed over price, technology transfer and licensing problems.
The new rules empower Turkey to substitute alternative, probably locally manufactured components such as weapon systems, the mission computer, avionics and electronic warfare suites, and require the supplier to integrate other systems or equipment built by Turkish companies.
"The collapse of one deal is not itself a major crisis, but if Turkey persists in seeking carte blanche from American suppliers to substitute its own technology for theirs and asks for impossible terms, U.S. arms suppliers will not, indeed cannot, bid for Turkey's business, and they will likely cease their lobbying efforts on Turkey's behalf with both the White House and Congress," said Ian M. Cuthbertson, an arms sales expert at the World Policy Institute. "U.S. industry will lose business and Turkey would lose powerful allies in Washington."
U.S. arms companies have been lobbying for Turkey against Armenians, who are pressing for recognition of killings of Armenians in the early 20th century as a genocide, and Kurds, who complain about Turkey's alleged human rights violations.
Turkey's concerns over technological control of its weaponry increased after it faced arms blockades from several countries because of human rights problems in its fight against autonomy-seeking Kurdish terrorists, while Washington demanded Turkish progress on human rights as a condition for arms sales.
Many Turkish defense authorities also bitterly remember a U.S. arms embargo following Turkey's invasion of Cyprus in 1974, when Libya provided Turkey with bombs and spare parts to operate its U.S.-made jets.
Today, Turkey is keen on having a sovereign helicopter to use freely, mainly against Kurdish terrorists in the rugged Southeast, without taking on the risk of outside interference in the aircraft's mission computer or of political obstacles from Washington regarding its use.
Turkey's Defense Executive Committee might opt in its next meeting on June 27 to choose among one of the current bidders from France, Italy, Russia and South Africa -- which lifted an arms embargo on Turkey in 2005 -- to end a decade-long search for Turkey's next attack helicopter.
The options are the “Tiger” from Franco-German company Eurocopter, the “Mangusta” of Italy's Agusta Aerospace, Russian company Kamov and South African company Denel's “Rooivalk.”
"If Turkey wants to have a sovereign helicopter, this is the opportunity," said an official from Likom Defense, Denel's representative in Turkey, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

beleg

Heh,
please tell the author that Turkey has given the biggest defence deal of the decade to USA despite the technical and diplomatical issues he mentioned..

Soner1980

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes we have one of the biggest armed helicopter deal in the world. Early it was 145 choppers, now reduced to 90. Still the biggest... The Blackhawk fleet of Turkey is also after the US army the the largest of the world.

But the helicopter industries in the US knows that it is a waste of time when doing trade business including source codes and tech transfer. They know that the US congress will reject this kind of offer. Respectful, but than you are out of the game. Turkey should gain from other countries the tech, and than the deals will also reduce because Turkey is getting more self sufficient. This is the last attack helicopter deal and the US Congress is not going to approve it. I had hoped that the Bell AH-1Z be produced in Turkey...

beleg

I was talking about the FCA (YNMU) program which is worth 10 billion for ~100 aircraft..
American companies are out of ATAK program..For now.....:rolleyes:

beleg

Well that depends on how you look at it..

In terms of know how and personelle quality i think we are not bad at all.. But the lack of funding and economical troubles make it difficult for the overall industry.

TAI , TUSAS, Havelsan are major companies in the industry and produce alot of products in projects world wide. You can check each companies website for detailed info about what they do and what they will do.

If he has time orko_8 can give more info in this matter since he is in the industry :)

Soner1980

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
TAI had designed their own national airliner plane from city to city and for neighboring country travel. It was a 2 jet engined passenger plane with about 80 seats. There was also a 38 seated turbo prop plane called 'hava dolmusu', the famous Turkish minibus transportation vehicles in large cities, but the 'airborne' version, also to hop from city to city with a small airport. But the projects were cancelled because of the lack of suficient funds to start production. The design and other paperwork was all done. Maybe in the near future???

TUBITAK also designed two satelites, the first a cooperation with France and the second almost indigenous.

A few months ago, HAVELSAN sold a aircraft simulator to South Korea. The simulator is 100% indineous and woth about $ 35 million US dollars.

So, we have all the tech, the know how, the production facilities and the technicians. It is only money we do not have enough. But it is all going slow on and the Turkish economy is growing about % 6,5 each year. We will see...

The Turkish ATAK project for example, is also a tech transfer. We are able to produce electronics for a chopper, all of it. But only the know how in construction is a different story. Building 28 Cougar helicopters is not everything Turkey must learn...

Rich

beleg said:
Heh,
please tell the author that Turkey has given the biggest defence deal of the decade to USA despite the technical and diplomatical issues he mentioned..
Considering that American taxpayers pay for far more Turkish arms then Turkish taxpayers do I say "let em buy elsewhere". The Cold War is long over and the American taxpayer has no business funding the Turkish military.

beleg

And I say you better open up a map and see where that Central Asian oil is flowing through, to keep the oil prices low in your country. American taxpayer should learn not to be arrogant since the world after Cold War is not as simple as the wolrd before !

Big-E

Banned Member
beleg said:
And I say you better open up a map and see where that Central Asian oil is flowing through, to keep the oil prices low in your country. American taxpayer should learn not to be arrogant since the world after Cold War is not as simple as the wolrd before !
If Turkey starts buying foreign weapons then the US won't be giving her anymore foreign aid.

Last edited:

beleg

Turkey has been buying foreign weapons for long!

Half of our navy is German ships, Gendermerie has alot of Russian equipment (apcs,sniper rifles,helicopters) , alot of German Tanks are in the inventory of KKK and the next Attack Helicopter will be either South African or Italien. Alot of Israeli weapons are also in the inventory. As long as Turkey and USA share same interests in the region (which they will for a long time) there will be aid.

You know that the Spruace (one donation other FMS) is still waiting for Turkeys approval to be delivered, seems your military and president are thinking different from you.

atilla

foreıgn aid?

ı dont want to get ın polıtıcs but turkey doesnt need foreıgn aid .......

but foreign needs turkısh aid

atilla

are we not?

Rich said:
Considering that American taxpayers pay for far more Turkish arms then Turkish taxpayers do I say "let em buy elsewhere". The Cold War is long over and the American taxpayer has no business funding the Turkish military.
yes u are rıght we are sayıng the same thıng we have no bussınes fundıng the economıcal dısasters caused by ıraqı operatıons and wars close to our borders and beeıng a tax payer ı would lıke to say rather than fundıng my eco because of the actıons taken ın the regıon or ın our borders favor to foreıgn ındustırıes we should take actıons ...... ????

Rich

We can say and do what we want with our own money.

yes u are rıght we are sayıng the same thıng we have no bussınes fundıng the economıcal dısasters caused by ıraqı operatıons and wars close to our borders and beeıng a tax payer ı would lıke to say rather than fundıng my eco because of the actıons taken ın the regıon or ın our borders favor to foreıgn ındustırıes we should take actıons ...... ????
Last time I checked you werent funding it.

Turkey has been buying foreign weapons for long!

Half of our navy is German ships, Gendermerie has alot of Russian equipment (apcs,sniper rifles,helicopters) , alot of German Tanks are in the inventory of KKK and the next Attack Helicopter will be either South African or Italien. Alot of Israeli weapons are also in the inventory. As long as Turkey and USA share same interests in the region (which they will for a long time) there will be aid.

You know that the Spruace (one donation other FMS) is still waiting for Turkeys approval to be delivered, seems your military and president are thinking different from you.
Unlike them Ive actually been to Turkey. 18 fun-filled months of it. And I still dont think American tax-payers should be funding the Turkish military. If the Germans, Italians, or South Africans want to do so then fine, "but why do I have a feeling Yank taxpayers will end up paying no matter where it comes from".?

Gosh thanks:p: I'm sure the Turks are getting their $$ cut for doing so because I doubt they would lay the pipelines for the good of their fellow man. And the day I come on a forum and tell Turkish taxpayers how to spend their tax lira in foreign aid then you can call me "arrogant". Until then then guess who the "arrogant" one is?

This is becoming political so I'm bowing out of it. "I dont need a map because Ive been to that part of the world", "and probably before you were born".

atilla

well

Rich said:
We can say and do what we want with our own money.

Last time I checked you werent funding it.

Unlike them Ive actually been to Turkey. 18 fun-filled months of it. And I still dont think American tax-payers should be funding the Turkish military. If the Germans, Italians, or South Africans want to do so then fine, "but why do I have a feeling Yank taxpayers will end up paying no matter where it comes from".?

Gosh thanks:p: I'm sure the Turks are getting their $$ cut for doing so because I doubt they would lay the pipelines for the good of their fellow man. And the day I come on a forum and tell Turkish taxpayers how to spend their tax lira in foreign aid then you can call me "arrogant". Until then then guess who the "arrogant" one is?

This is becoming political so I'm bowing out of it. "I dont need a map because Ive been to that part of the world", "and probably before you were born".

check again pls ....... u must have check wrong place

well we are all sayıng same thıng actually but ı m sure u dont want us to belive your goverment fund turkısh mılıtary durıng cold war just for the sake of good will? no

they fund as an exchange turkey helped u to sleep comfortably whıle we lıve 2 seconds a way from all nukes ...... luckly cold war fınısh ....and no one needs each other ahh ıf stıll your goverment tryıng to fund turkısh army? then they still need someting in exchange as u know no one ıs santaclaus :) ı could gıve more detaıled answer but ıt would be polıtıcal thıs ıs nonsense every one knows the benefıts of IRAQI operatıon and every one knows how the oıl of ıraq flowessss ın your economy or the other ıssıues concernıng the central asıa that u have been before we born :) :)