Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Army & Security Forces
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

ExPB14_JAS-39_Gripen.jpg

ExPB14_Mirage2000.jpg

6_EXPB14_20140729_088_3_RSAF_F16s.jpg

5_EXPB14_20140729_143_3_RSAF_F-15SGs.jpg
Defense Reports
Aerospace & Defence

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Unattended Ground Sensors

This is a discussion on Unattended Ground Sensors within the Army & Security Forces forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Although UGS have been around and used by the US forces for around 10 years now, there is a rumour ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old January 29th, 2013   #1
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Unattended Ground Sensors

Although UGS have been around and used by the US forces for around 10 years now, there is a rumour they are finally reaching a 'sweet spot' in terms of technology and affordability..thoughts?
Burrows100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ground Combat Vehicle Waylander Army & Security Forces 27 October 27th, 2010 12:49 PM
FCS Vehicles Move On killbill2 Space & Defense Technology 0 March 26th, 2008 04:40 PM
Complete U.S Army Manual. Pathfinder-X Military Strategy and Tactics 30 December 18th, 2005 10:39 PM
Unattended Ground Sensors frosty Army & Security Forces 0 October 27th, 2005 07:11 AM

Old January 29th, 2013   #2
Defense Professional / Analyst
Captain
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrows100 View Post
Although UGS have been around and used by the US forces for around 10 years now, there is a rumour they are finally reaching a 'sweet spot' in terms of technology and affordability..thoughts?
About time... in the late 80's I had a bit to do with CLASSIC (Covert Local Area Surveillance System for Intruder Classification). Basically a 1kg brick that monitored about 6 or 8 seismic sensors that could be spread around an area (limited range of a couple of hundred meters?). It was supposed to be able to tell the difference between people walking and a vehicle. By knowing what sensor was tripped and where it was placed it gave you a cue where to look for the bad guys.

Back then, reliability was suspect and the electronics sucked power like there was no tomorrow. Each unit needed a stack of AA batteries (90 or something equally stupid) that would last less than a day. Frankly a tripwire with cans, M16 mine actuated by tripwire or a tripflare were preferrable.

I have seen some of the later gucci kit in the media being used now - solar powered, tiny in size and can send all sorts of info a massive distance - MUCH BETTER.
Marc 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013   #3
Banned Member
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Unattended Ground Sensors may be rumoured of reaching its life cycle, but in countries like Canada it is used in terms of greater diversity.

It is believed with various combinations Canadian Army with unprecedented mission flexibility Unattended Ground Sensors can still be worked out.
prkralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2013   #4
Grumpy Old Man
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by prkralex View Post
Unattended Ground Sensors may be rumoured of reaching its life cycle, but in countries like Canada it is used in terms of greater diversity.

It is believed with various combinations Canadian Army with unprecedented mission flexibility Unattended Ground Sensors can still be worked out.
I'm struggling to understand your message here, please expand.

I've been involved with UGS in some form or fashion for over 7 years (and mainly priv sector developments). Ffor the US (intel agencies especially) its a very very mature tech

the last classified presentation I attended involved tech that was new to US allies in the ABCA camp but the US has been using in various generations for over 5 years prior to that, The only other nation that has a decent coherent, functional and operational grasp of UGS utility is Israel

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity"
http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Last edited by gf0012-aust; January 31st, 2013 at 04:57 AM.
gf0012-aust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013   #5
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
History note...

Quote:
Just a quick update on UGS; they've been around, not for ten years, but since Vietnam. I was Ground Sensor trained by the Army as a U.S. Marine Sensor Control and Management Platoon (SCAMP) member in the early 1970's. I have always liked the things and have been watching as they matured from the Gen 2 stuff we started with to the place where UGS are today. I'll be tracking this forum and jumping in where I have opportunity. Semper Fidelis.
PAHaysAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2013   #6
Just Hatched
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
The tech is mature, but the development, production and deployment process could be a lot quicker. Having said that, take a look at DARPA's Adaptable Sensor Systems program. The aim is to utilise smartphone ODM techniques to speed up the process, taking the timeframe down to 12/18 months from the current of 3-5 years.
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: