Ukranian Weapon Sales

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
So it appears that the Ukranian president transfered active units equipment to Georgia behind the backs of his parliament. An investigation is ongoing, but in particular the Buk-M1 complexes were taken directly out of Ukranian units. As a result close to half of the Ukranian inventory of the comlexes ended up in Georgia. In the 223rd Regiment the units were taken off of active duty, as a result the regiment ended up practically disarmed. Morever the weapons were transferred at a fraction of market price, including the T-72 tanks that were sold to Georgia, and the Buk systems, for which Pakistan offered a notably higher price earlier.

http://www.newsru.com/world/02oct2008/znal.html

There is also a pending investigation in regards to the Ukranian ship carrying tanks, Grad artillery systems, and other weapons that was captured by pirates earlier. There are rumors circulating that the ship was really headed for Sudan.

djdrive

The source of the news is Russian tabloid Izvestia, which is famous of being an FSB propaganda tool. I wouldn't trust a word from the article.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The source is actually prime minister of Ukraine, Timoshenko, who is launching the investigations into the arms trade.

nevidimka

So, a president who is jeapordising the security of his country?. Wouldn't that qualify Yushenko for a traitor? I'm sure he'd use all his powers to keep these things from coming out and showing who he is.
This is not gonna be good for him in he coming elections.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
There were rumors that he may be impeached. But those are just rumors. In Ukraine I suppose anything is possible. I guess it depends on what exactly the investigation turns up in terms of arms sales.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure how Ukranian arms export works. If the fact is considered a problem, then I guess a little more then that was supposed to go to the government.

Also Ukranian officials claim that the president was indeed selling weapons at lowered prices, and has even sold Georgia ammunition after the end of the conflict, under the pre-text of humanitarian aid.

http://www.rian.ru/defense_safety/20081017/153360487.html

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry to revive this thread, but apparently the Ukranian parliamentary commission has completed their investigation and says they have enough materials to begin immediate impeachment procedures for the Ukranian president. Material includes deals of weapons at below market value, with money from the contracts disappearing through daughter firms of UkrSpetzEksport.

http://arms-tass.su/?page=article&aid=64306&cid=25

nevidimka

Wouldnt this imply that the President received bribes? Coz other than that, the only explanation would be the president going to great length's to protect Georgia to allow it to fight Russia.

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
- presupposes state-enterprise
- perhaps strategic considerations? (supporting Georgia against Russia)