Ukraine Army Orbat

Big-E

Banned Member
Can anyone give an updated list? How many T-80 and T-84s have been introduced to the force structure. How is the T-84 superior to the T-80U.

Last edited:

oskarm

Not more than a single coy. Now the piority in heavy forces is modernisation of T-64. If you are intrested in more specific info (not very specific, but including number of brigades and equpment), I'll find an a article in nTW Magazine about Ukrainian Orbat and situation of their armed forces.

oskarm

Yes it's this modernization (they are planning to modernize a few dozens a year). I'll give you more info about numbers of T-84 and other gear tomorrow. Now it's 2 AM in Poland.:cat

oskarm

According to "nowa Technika Wojskowa" (nTW) issue Jan. 2005 only 8 T-84 were introduced to service in Ukrainian Army.

According to nTW issue Apr. 2006 modernized T-64 will receive ATGM Kombat and new APDSFS witch can penetrate at least 650mm of RHA.

Big-E

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not familiar with the KOMBAT. I googled but didn't find much. Any details would be appreciated. Also how would it be fitted on the tank?

On a side not what is the relationship with the Poles? How come they're peacekeepers are under a Polish command?

Izzy1

Banned Member
Armour TOP

Type Role Quantity
T-54/55 Main Battle Tank (2) 112
T-64 Main Battle Tank (2) 2,215
T-72 Main Battle Tank (2) 1,180
T-84 Main Battle Tank (2) 6
T-80/90 Main Battle Tank (2) 271
PT-76 Amphibious Light Tank 50
MT-LB Multi-Purpose Vehicle 2,090
MT-LB Support Vehicle 4,000
BRDM-1/2 Amphibious Scout Car 600
BMP-1 Infantry Fighting Vehicle 1,008
BMP-2 Infantry Fighting Vehicle 1,434
BMP-3 Infantry Fighting Vehicle 4
BMD-1 Airborne Combat Vehicle 61
BMD-2 Airborne Combat Vehicle 78
BTR-60 Armoured Personnel Carrier 176
BTR-70 Armoured Personnel Carrier 1,026
BTR-80 Armoured Personnel Carrier 456
BTR-D Armoured Personnel Carrier 44

Notes
(1)Considerable numbers of T-54/55 main battle tanks have been put into storage or were sold in 1994-95; data on T-64 numbers has been reassessed in the light of details emerging from Kiev. The numbers of Russian-built T-80 and the locally developed T-84/T-90 tanks is estimated.

(2)The total figure for tanks disclosed at the CFE Treaty meeting in December 2003 was 3,784.

Jane's World Armies (Updated 25-August-2006)

A very respectable set of figures and their artillery and army aviation numbers are not too bad either.

Big-E

Banned Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Izzy1 said:
A very respectable set of figures and their artillery and army aviation numbers are not too bad either.
What kind and how much artillery is Ukraine packing?

oskarm

Ukrainian units organization

Brigades:
Each armored or mechanized brigade consist of 4 battalions (or battalion battle groups), a HQ battalion, a mixed artillery battalion with BM-21 and 2S3, and a AA battalion armed usually with Striela-10 and ZSU-23-4 (8-12 of each one), engineers coy, supply coy.

Battalions:
Armored battalion have 3 tank coys and 1 mechanized coy. Mechanized battalion have 1 tank coy and 3 mechanized coys. In each mechanized brigade one or two battalions are equipped with BMP-1 or 2, other battalions have BTR-70 or 80. Each battalion have a battery of 2S1 SPA or towed D-30 and a battery of man portable SAMs (Striela 2M or Igla). In addition each mech. bat. have a AT battery and a 120mm mortars battery.

I did some photos of OoB form nTW, so I’ll attaché them later. There will be the answer for you question.

Sorce: (nTW) issue Jan. 2005

Izzy1

Banned Member
Ukrainian Artillery

System/Role Quantity
203mm 2S7 SPH 100
152mm D-20 Howitzer 216
152mm 2A65 Howitzer 185
152mm 2A36 Howitzer 289
152mm 2S3 SPH 496
152mm 2S5 SPH 24
152mm 2S9 SPH 74
122mm D-30 Howitzer 443
122mm 2S1 SPH 638
120mm 2S12 Gun Mortar 342
120mm 2S9 Gun Mortar 74
300mm 9A52 MRLS 94
220mm 9P140 MRLS 139
122mm BM-21 MRL 332
122mm 3P138 MRL 20
FROG 7 SSM 50 (1)
Tochka SS-21 SSM 90 (1)
120mm M43 Mortar 250
107mm M107 Mortar 500
82mm M37M Mortar 750

*(1) - Ukrainian SSM units are only equipped with conventional HE or cluster munitions.
(2) Despite high overall numbers, large stocks of older systems are likely to be in a poor state of repair.

Sources - Jane's World Armies 2006 (Update 25/08/2006); International Institute of Strategic Studies "The Military Balance 2006".

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A newer version of T84, Ukrainian defense ministry announced a purchase of 10 T84 tanks, I wonder if they will be this upgraded version.:D

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
That would be cool, but the GWB-lookalike that seems to be a Ukrainian top brass hat also climbed around in a more traditional looking T-84 on that event.

I'm not sure if it is an Oplot though.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
They're not likely to get much of either one, given the atrocious situation in the armed forces. Even the battallion level T-90 procurement in Russia is considered ridiculously low. Procurement of a few tanks annually will have practically no effect on the over force structure, or equipment. Essentially once the motor resources of those tanks start running out, the Ukranians are screwed.

EDIT: By the way an actual ORBAT, not just equipment listings, with divisions and deployments, would be greatly appreciated.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
That would be cool, but the GWB-lookalike that seems to be a Ukrainian top brass hat also climbed around in a more traditional looking T-84 on that event.

I'm not sure if it is an Oplot though.
Yep - it`s Oplot minus the Muzzle reference system, the photo that I posted most likely is a Urbanized kit for Oplot.

Stimpy75

Yep - it`s Oplot minus the Muzzle reference system, the photo that I posted most likely is a Urbanized kit for Oplot.
The Oplot has the new NOZH ERA,which should give all around protection against tandem-warheads.it´s equipped with a 6TD-3 1400 hp engine.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The Oplot has the new NOZH ERA,which should give all around protection against tandem-warheads.it´s equipped with a 6TD-3 1400 hp engine.
Agreed, they are supposed to get a small order of 10 of them with more to follow, armor protection is quite impressive along the hull sides.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
10 on order with more to follow.
I used active service to denote delivery to standard line units. I.e. if tomorrow a war broke between Russia and Ukraine out then yeah those ten tanks would probably be in combat. But if tomorrow Ukraine rotates it's deployment to Iraq, and decides to deploy an armored unit(I know that's impossible, just using it as an example), it would be armed with T-72s, or T-80s. And with due respect, think you should put a little more skepticism into statements like "plans to" or "more to follow".

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I used active service to denote delivery to standard line units. I.e. if tomorrow a war broke between Russia and Ukraine out then yeah those ten tanks would probably be in combat. But if tomorrow Ukraine rotates it's deployment to Iraq, and decides to deploy an armored unit(I know that's impossible, just using it as an example), it would be armed with T-72s, or T-80s. And with due respect, think you should put a little more skepticism into statements like "plans to" or "more to follow".
Whats your point,

Who cares how many that they have, this is a upgraded version of a tank that they will enter into service. Also do not look at to many T-72s tearing thru any future battle, the majority of tanks operated by Ukraine consist of T-64 and T-80 series tanks.

Last edited: