T-90 Tank

carman1877

This thread is about the T-90 tank, posts about the T-90 vs other tanks will not be tolerated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Better for what? It's logistically less taxing, and lighter weight gives it higher mobility. However in a tank on tank battle, it would probably lose to M1A2's.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Is the T-90 better than the :M1A2 and Challenger 2?
What kind of weapon systems does the T-90 Have?
What kind of armor does it have? Opinions welcome.
Please check out some of the older threads inregards to this, also we tend not to get into topics that start out with my gun is bigger and better than yours, it will pretty much end in nationalistic chest thumping and alot of misty eyed pissed off fellow forum participants.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I disagree with that. You can reasonably compare two tanks, you just have to compare them in a certain context. Within that context one tank may be better or worse then another.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I disagree with that. You can reasonably compare two tanks, you just have to compare them in a certain context. Within that context one tank may be better or worse then another.
I am quite confident that if you can keep and maintain the subject where there is minimal hostilities then you should be okay. Most of the time though these types of threads end up closed over hurt feelings.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's just a sign of two things: lack of maturity and lack of objectivity. I would love to have a serious discussion on the advantages and disadvantages of a T-90A style tank vs a M1A2 style tank. After all they both reflect the culmination of two different schools of thought on armored warfare, and large scale military operations in general.

extern

Hi to all brothers in weapon! :D

Some new pictures are proving that the last batches of T-90's have un-isolated power compartment, so they are immune to the classic T-72\T-90 family illness - overheating duiring median fording:

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Hi to all brothers in weapon! :D

Some new pictures are proving that the last batches of T-90's have un-isolated power compartment, so they are immune to the classic T-72T-90 family illness - overheating duiring median fording:
Hi Extern, nice photos, surely this is not the only reason for this modification, you wouldn`t happen to have a photo of the left side of this vehicle would you. :)

Eeshaan

I dont think the T-90 can have armor like or surpass the Chobham armor of the M1A2s. Aside from that, both tanks can be made to fire depleted Uranium shells, as far as I know.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I dont think the T-90 can have armor like or surpass the Chobham armor of the M1A2s. Aside from that, both tanks can be made to fire depleted Uranium shells, as far as I know.
There is really nothing that needs to be done to a tank to fire DU projectiles, ensure that you have the proper ammunition projectile type ammunition card for the ballistic computer to comphensate for super elevation and true deflection aim off and you should be good to go.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The next must be from the same batch:
Thank you, to clarify, did they actually place the exhaust outlet at the rear of the vehicle as a permanent fix for all mobility purposes or is this a by pass to serve when the vehicle is on a fording movement.

Chrom

There is really nothing that needs to be done to a tank to fire DU projectiles, ensure that you have the proper ammunition projectile type ammunition card for the ballistic computer to comphensate for super elevation and true deflection aim off and you should be good to go.
Soviet and later russian tanks always had DU rounds in inventory. They just dont fire them in simply conflicts to avoid barbaric radioactive pollution when it is not nessesary.

P.S. I still find the thread should be closed.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Soviet and later russian tanks always had DU rounds in inventory. They just dont fire them in simply conflicts to avoid barbaric radioactive pollution when it is not nessesary.

Chrom, I was making commment to the gentleman who felt both tanks could be made to fire DU projectiles, I was just pointing out to him that any tank can fire a DU projectile with very little modifications, I have been tasked to swap out or add ammunition cards to ballistic computers, it is pretty much a easy thing to do.

And of course Russia uses DU projectiles, 3BM 42 and 46 are nasty rounds.

Chrom

Chrom, I was making commment to the gentleman who felt both tanks could be made to fire DU projectiles, I was just pointing out to him that any tank can fire a DU projectile with very little modifications, I have been tasked to swap out or add ammunition cards to ballistic computers, it is pretty much a easy thing to do.
As with any round.
And of course Russia uses DU projectiles, 3BM 42 and 46 are nasty rounds.
It is not fired. Even in exercises.

Eeshaan

OK, for comparison of basic stats, heres some technical data for both tanks :

M1 :

Type Main battle tank
Place of origin United States
Service history
Used by United States, Australia, Egypt, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia
Wars Kosovo War, Gulf War, Iraq War
Production history
Designer Chrysler Defense
Designed 1970s
Manufacturer General Dynamics
Unit cost US$4.35 million (M1A2)[1]
Produced 1979–present
Variants M1A1, M1A2, M1A2 SEP
Specifications
Weight 67.6 short tons (61.4 metric tons)
Length Gun forward: 32.04 ft (9.77 m)
Hull length: 26.02 ft (7.93 m)
Width 12 ft (3.66 m)
Height 8 ft (2.44 m)
Crew 4 (commander, gunner, loader, driver)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armor Chobham, RHA
Primary
armament 105 mm M68 rifled cannon (M1)
120 mm M256 smoothbore cannon (M1A1, M1A2, M1A2SEP)
Secondary
armament 1 x .50-caliber (12.7 mm) M2HB heavy machine gun
2 x M240 7.62 mm machine guns (1 pintle-mounted, 1 coaxial)
Engine AGT-1500C multi-fuel turbine engine
1500 hp (1119 kW)
Power/weight 24.5 hp/metric ton
Transmission Allison DDA X-1100-3B
Suspension Torsion bar
Ground clearance 0.48 m (M1, M1A1)
0.43 m (M1A2)
Operational
range 465.29 km (289 mi)
With NBC system: 449.19 km (279 mi)
Speed Road: 67.72 km/h (42 mph)
Off-road: 48.3 km/h (30 mph

More detailed info on M1A2 :

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/abrams/

T-90 :

Type Main battle tank
Place of origin Russia
Production history
Designed 1993
Produced 1995 - Present
Specifications
Weight 46.5 tonnes
Length 9.53 m (31.27 ft)
Width 3.78 m (9.12 ft)
Height 2.22 m (7.28 ft)
Crew 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Armor Classified
Primary
armament 125 mm smoothbore gun with ATGM capability; mainly 9M119 Svir
Secondary
armament 7.62 mm coaxial machine gun, 12.7 mm anti-aircraft machine gun
Engine Model 84 V-84 12-cyl. diesel[1]

V-92 12-cyl. diesel[1]
V-96 12-cyl. diesel[1]
840 hp (626 kW) for Model 84 V-84 12-cyl. diesel engine[1]
950 hp (708 kW) for V-92 12-cyl. diesel engine[1]
1,100 hp (820 kW) for V-96 12-cyl. diesel engine[1]

Power/weight 18.1 hp/tonne (13.5 kW/tonne) for Model 84 V-84 12-cyl. diesel engine

20.4 hp/tonne (15.2 kW/tonne) for V-92 12-cyl. diesel engine
23.7 hp/tonne (17.6 kW/tonne) for V-96 12-cyl. diesel engine

Suspension torsion bar
Operational
range 650 km[2]
Speed 65 km/h[3]

More detailed info on T-90 :

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/t90/

I hope that helps.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

Tungsten is also a dangerous chemical. I wonder why it was used in Russian kinetic penetrator rounds. :)

EDIT: Are any tank experts on here more intimately familiar with the tactical (and hopefully strategic, keeping my fingers crossed here) though behind he design of the M1?

extern

Thank you, to clarify, did they actually place the exhaust outlet at the rear of the vehicle as a permanent fix for all mobility purposes or is this a by pass to serve when the vehicle is on a fording movement.
It's not exhaust. It's new cooling system with open fan-radiator circle. The exhast remained on the old place, as you can see on Algerian variant too. In this case, the radiator outfow was covered: