Stryker Deal Dead?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
What is with the deal : german Dingo 2 for the IDF ???

I heard since two years no news for this ???
Israel ordered a initial batch of 60 with approved funding but for some reason the German government was not happy with the deal and intervened thus preventing it from happening, this was over turned around the 2006 time frame but the IDF wanted a heavier vehicle and most likely have decided to go with either the ASV or Sandcat both of which cost less than the Dingo 2.

shimmy

So the IDF will have comparatively new Strykers and new Golans and Sandcats to go with the Gavins they already have , not to mention the other APCs they are making from cannabalized tanks?
The US is selling them Strykers while the US buys some Golans?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
So the IDF will have comparatively new Strykers and new Golans and Sandcats to go with the Gavins they already have , not to mention the other APCs they are making from cannabalized tanks?
The US is selling them Strykers while the US buys some Golans?
There is no such thing as a M113 being named Gavin that is in service, but yes they do use the M113. Yes they are making heavy APCs with older out dated tank hulls along with Jordan and like the ones being designed in Russia and Ukraine. Yes we are buying some Golans from them.

shimmy

I need info

I have two questions:
(1) Isn't the 113 called a Gavin?
(2) could you guve me the specs on the sandcat?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I have two questions:
(2) could you guve me the specs on the sandcat?
No it is not, please refer to the IFV and APC topic, we just went thru this very same discussion in regards to the M113.

The Specs for the Sandcat are listed as follows:

Based on a U.S Ford F250 pick up truck with a reduced wheel base (112")
Designed for urban area security.
Weight is around five tons.
Carries four fully equiped soldiers.
Has a roof hatch for a crew served weapon of 7.62 machine gun.
Provides Mine and IED protection, provides protection from artillery shrapnel and 7.62 bullets.
Armor protection is based on metal Composites, Kevlar and Aluminum.

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I have two questions:
I just returned from San Francisco and bought a book from Berkeley.

This book is titled "MOUNTED COMBAT IN VIETNAM", published by "Vietnam Studies, Department of the Army, Washington DC", 1978.

I haven't read it yet but I flipped through and they never ever used the name "Gavin".

In this book, they referred to the M113 as APC (Armoured Personnel Carrier), or ACAV (Armoured Cavalry Assault Vehicle), but most of the time simply as the M113.

I've read several other books long ago written by US Vietnam vets and they never ever referred to the M113 as a "Gavin" either.

buglerbilly

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The Specs for the Sandcat are listed as follows:

Based on a U.S Ford F250 pick up truck with a reduced wheel base (112")
Designed for urban area security.
Weight is around five tons.
Carries four fully equiped soldiers.
Has a roof hatch for a crew served weapon of 7.62 machine gun.
Provides Mine and IED protection, provides protection from artillery shrapnel and 7.62 bullets.
Armor protection is based on metal Composites, Kevlar and Aluminum.
F250? Nah mate F350 surely...........;)