Spirit of American soldier

Kirza_rus

Greeting to everyone. I am from Russia, but I came here for your help. Yes, I admit, our countries are adversaries nowadays, but I think that even adversaries deserve respect if they are honorable. I respect American civilization and great culture and I hope in this thread we will not come to mutual insults.

I want to understand the spirit of American soldier, what is honor for him and what is dishonor. What makes him different, unique in the world.

For example, here in Russia there is a myth (I call it myth, because I don't know if this true, hope you will tell me), that for American soldier its OK to surrender if you are surrounded and there is really no hope for win in a fight.
In Russia on the hand dying in a fight in a hopeless situation instead of surrendering is a great honor. And surrendering in most cases is a shame.

So what help I really need: I will be really thankful if you will point me into some books, maybe historical literature or fiction, which will help me to understand the spirit of American soldier. Or maybe you can tell me from yourself what makes American soldier to be American soldier.

Also, sorry for my bad English.

Ranger25

Staff member
I'll bite

Several key differences about the American Solider

All volunteer for job and are not poorly treated conscripts
Units are VERY cohesive, that builds trust and confidence in your fellow Soliders
That Trust and Confidence in one another drives success in the Battlefield
Soliders fight for each other
Surrender is not a word (when's the last time your saw this from and American Solidier?)
American units are lead by professional Cadre of Professional Soliders
And like many around the world, they share a Love of Country

A key difference may be Values. American Soliders reflect the Values of America and that (generally) reflects positively on their actions even in War

Kirza_rus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll bite
Thank you for your response.

In Russian culture we have several works of fiction that we think reflect the spirit of russian soldier, for example Vasily Terkin written by Tvardovsky. Can you suggest anything from your culture?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you for your response.

In Russian culture we have several works of fiction that we think reflect the spirit of russian soldier, for example Vasily Terkin written by Tvardovsky. Can you suggest anything from your culture?
Just out of curiosity, since you seem to be interested in these topics, have you read Babchenko's "One Soldier's War"? It's titled just Война in Russian (Аркадий Бабченко автор). In my opinion it says far more about the spirit of the Russian soldier today, then Soviet epics.

Kirza_rus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just out of curiosity, since you seem to be interested in these topics, have you read Babchenko's "One Soldier's War"? It's titled just Война in Russian (Аркадий Бабченко автор). In my opinion it says far more about the spirit of the Russian soldier today, then Soviet epics.
Haven't read that. But I heard about author.