Singapore Infantry Squad weapons & equipment

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
A question for folks with more current info:

Can you tell me the current makeup of an SAF squad in terms of weaponry?

During my days our sections of comprised of a mix of the following people:

- Sec Cmdr with M16 and radio
- M16 riflemen with Armbrust LAW
- M16 sharpshooter with 1.5x scope
- M16/M203 Grenadier
- SAW gunner with Ultimax-100

So what is the makeup of today's SAR21-armed sections?

Do they still use the M16/M203? Do they still have a sharpshooter position since technically, every SAR21 weapon now comes with a 1.5x scope.Or do sharpshooters (Designated Marksman) have a more powerful scope on their SAR21?

Will the Ultimax be phased out by the IAR version of the SAR21?

Any new addition of weapon or equipment? Example radio, sidearms.

Thanks

eeertu

Hi Chino!

I was trained as an infantry section commander (just ORD-ed!) so I do believe I've got the answers to your questions. :)

A section in the SAF today comprises of 7 men, equipment as follows;

Section commander - SAR21
2x M203 riflemen - SAR21+M203
2x SAW Gunners - Ultimax MK II
2x Matador Gunners - SAR21 + 1x MATADOR each

1 of the Matador Gunners also doubles off as the section sharpshooter, equipped with SAR21 3x scope. 1 M203 rifleman will hold the position of section 2ic.

As for whether the Ultimax will be phased out in favour of IAR SAR21, well, let's just say that throughout my army days I've never heard even rumors of it, much less seen an IAR SAR 21 (though yes, I know they exist.) To digress a little, I did see the MARK V version of the Ultimax that ST was marketing at the recent Singapore Airshow and the ST representative at the booth did say they were offering it to the SAF. And I have to say that its WAY improved over the MARK II version SAF is currently using.

As far as sidearms are considered, its not issued, bar a few units. (I'm not too sure if I'm allowed to say it here, so I'll just err on the side of caution.) But I can say that the current sidearm that SAF is using is the P226.

Hope this helps. :D

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Chino!

I was trained as an infantry section commander (just ORD-ed!) so I do believe I've got the answers to your questions. :)

1 of the Matador Gunners also doubles off as the section sharpshooter, equipped with SAR21 3x scope. 1 M203 rifleman will hold the position of section 2ic.

As for whether the Ultimax will be phased out in favour of IAR SAR21, well, let's just say that throughout my army days I've never heard even rumors of it, much less seen an IAR SAR 21 (though yes, I know they exist.) To digress a little, I did see the MARK V version of the Ultimax that ST was marketing at the recent Singapore Airshow and the ST representative at the booth did say they were offering it to the SAF. And I have to say that its WAY improved over the MARK II version SAF is currently using.

As far as sidearms are considered, its not issued, bar a few units. (I'm not too sure if I'm allowed to say it here, so I'll just err on the side of caution.) But I can say that the current sidearm that SAF is using is the P226.

This helps tremendously! Thanks!

Regarding the Ultimax, IIRC, during my time - long ago - we were already using the Mk3, I could be wrong. Some Mk1 with no QCB - quick change barrel could still be encountered 10 years ago at some reservists training depots.

WRT sidearms, I once encountered a Arty FO officer armed with a Beretta 92F during my reservist about 15 years ago. Long before anyone heard of the P226.

Nice to hear the M16/M203 is finally on its way out.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Chino!

Did you have a chance to see/handle the new SAR-21A?

usgn

The SAR21 A that was showcased during the Airshow was just a prototype, nothing concrete about it, still on the drawing board.
IAR concept was adopted by US Marines as to reduce the signature of a machine gunner in lieu of a section. However lot of debates on the actual effectiveness as we know the machine gun with 100 rds can give good suppression fire but convert to a 30rds mag....I seriously doubt so..

Vajt

Sorry, please explain...

I believe he means that this will allow the "machine gunner" to look more like a regular squad member since the weapon will essentially look like an assault rifle and not stick out with a weapon that looks like a traditional machinegun.

-----JT-----

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
I believe he means that this will allow the "machine gunner" to look more like a regular squad member since the weapon will essentially look like an assault rifle and not stick out with a weapon that looks like a traditional machinegun.

-----JT-----
Thanks, that's what I thought, too.

But IIRC, at no point was there requirement for the IAR to look like the M16/M4.

usgn

HK IAR awarded the contract to supply. In fact during the early trial, the Ultimax 100 MkV was gaining good impression among the users but somehow or rather, it was dropped out pretty early.
Another weapon that impressed me during the early trial phases was the LWRC IAR which fires single on closed bolt and switch automatically to open bolt on full auto.

And Yes, one of the requirements was to have the IAR look like a common assault rifle and able to share the common M16 magazine.

Chino

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
And Yes, one of the requirements was to have the IAR look like a common assault rifle and able to share the common M16 magazine.
Yes, that's what I thought you meant. But I don't remember there being such a requirement. You'll have to show us where this is written.

I followed the trial as closely as one could on the internet - including reading the USMC RFP.

I don't believe this was not one of the requirements.